Hello, I have questions about managing OA

My OA began in my 40s, but it didn't start crimping my life until my mid-50s. By 60, I was still in enough denial that I didn't want to consider surgery, but pain was becoming a big issue. I tried the ibuprofen in a therapeutic dosage, and it was great for two weeks. But then the stomach issues were simply not acceptable. Same with naproxen, and tylenol. Finally I tried Celebrex, and as Goldilocks likes to say, this one was just right! That bought me about a year and a half of good time, until one day I was suddenly bone-on-bone. Denial just folded right up and slunk away...I wanted surgery ASAP.

OA has its sudden flare ups, and as just as unpredictably, it's remissions. I encourage you to maintain consistent activity to keep your muscles and core strength strong. If you're able to afford it, massage is wonderful for helping to release tight tissue. I also benefitted (and still do) from osteopathic manipulation to maintain alignment.

Prior to my THRs, I had pain in lots of places...always moving and shifting. Low back, sciatic, bursitis, tight IT bands which then impacted thighs and knees, shins and calves, ankles, sometimes even toes. One day unbearable in one area, next day fine. No rhyme; no reason. After THRs, almost everything resolved. I still find that if I don't stay in a consistent sweet spot of activity, I get a flare of bursitis and IT band syndrome. When that happens, I increase my targeted massage schedule, take Celebrex for a few days, and get back to a consistent walking schedule. So far, so good.

Good luck to you. I'll be very interested to see how you progress...with your OA and with your surgeon.

@beach73 I have had "growing pains" all my life, all the way from childhood. Currently, much of the pain is in my right leg, and I believe it to be caused by dense clots of trigger points. ("My trigger points have trigger points on their trigger points"). I have a very painful right S-I joint, and as it gets worse and worse, I'm afraid I'm going to have to do something about it. So I have days of unrelenting leg pain, then the weather will turn nice, clear, no fronts moving through, a north or west wind, and it all disappears for a short period-- until the next weather change. The only thing that helps is an anti-inflammatory, namely ibuprofen. Even arthritis strength tylenol doesn't touch it. I'm trialing ibuprofen only at night, and it is not going well at all. Probably if I could slow down, lose some more sleep, and get a weekly massage, things would improve slowly.

("My trigger points have trigger points on their trigger points").
I'd laugh if it weren't so painful! Poor @zauberflöte !
@beach73 sharonslp made a very good point in that OA can ebb and flare and it's good to hear that for now you are enjoying a respite.
A year to wait? that is so disheartening and hopefully you are on their cancel list, too? I also found that using ice packs during an active day helped the OA pain, maybe you can try that, too?

My growing pain symptoms are more along the line of restless legs.. so annoying and robs me of sleep at times.
I cannot wait to resume hot soaks in my tub with epsom salts before bedtime.. it was one of the things that seemed to help.

Pardon a momentary derailment, @beach73 ?
@CricketHip there are topical magnesium sprays, oils, etc which are for helping cramps. I prefer Theraworx foam for my legs. I wonder if this would work for you while you await that lovely epsom soak. Why does epsom salt water feel so good I wonder??

Last edited:
Thanks @zauberflöte - I've tried them and they make me too itchy. But many people love using them! Thank you for the suggestion and maybe this will help other bonesmarties!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom