TKR Hello from the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laura, you make me smile :) Gutted means a bit fed up! My ROM was 109 last time measured with the physio. It was about 100 yesterday, but it was late in the afternoon after a busy day of painting! Enough to get up & down the stairs and in & out of the car...with a bit of grabbing the trouser leg to haul the knee into the car! Good luck for you appointment next week! Your surgeon is going to be VERY HAPPY with you! I will email you over the weekend! Take care my friend :flwrysmile:

Mutely you sound so cheerful now! It's great. You and the others on this thread are doing so well, if only you knew it!

Gutted as an adjective means , and I quote, "extremely disappointed and unhappy".
I think 120 is a great result ! You are doing great and only 5 months out!

But youre not at 120 as I understand it are you Mutley. You measured 100 yesterday which is still quite good but not as good as what you would have liked. Same with mine. Trying not to think about ROM and concentrate on other positive things from op. have a good bank holiday weekend. :)

Hey guys! What's a few degree's amongst fellow TKR friends! :) Like I said, there is room for a little bit more improvement so hopefully that will come in the following months! Here's hoping we all get to enjoy a lovely sunny bank holiday weekend! :flwrysmile:

I think as your knee continues to heal over the next months to year you will find you gain a few degrees. At the least you won't get so much of that feeling of stiffness and the knee will feel more natural.
My sister, who helped me a lot in the days and then weeks after my tkr, has been kind of a check for me on how I'm doing. She could tell as I got more bend. Also in the months after she'd say--"I think you're bending better and more easily." I really think that continued for at least a year. I may not have gotten lots more degrees, but a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for that Kneeper! That's reassuring to know :) I guess we sometimes forget just how far we've actually come sometimes. So, your brave enough to go ahead & have your left knee done too at some point ?!!

Another day, another moan :sad: I have been having a pain on the inside of my knee for some time now. I mentioned it to my surgeon at the 5 month check up & he basically said he had no idea what it was or what was causing it...very helpful...NOT! 2 weeks on & this pain is getting more persistent. Was walking the mutts this afternoon & within 15 minutes I needed to stop, give it a rub, take a deep breath & move on. Obviously I still expect the feelings of stiffness etc, especially after doing too much, but this is really peeing me off :sad: It's in exactly the same place where I used to get the pain prior to surgery, but obviously that has been taken care of. Any thoughts on what it can be? Sleep, or should I say lack of sleep is still an issue. My whole leg is so uncomfortable & isn't eased using a pillow. Can't sleep with it bent, keep trying to straighten it, hurts to lay on my right side as the thigh is still sore. I realise how far I've come but yet again it seems your about to take control then it's snatched away from you...again. Fed up is the polite version of how I'm feeling at the moment... :gaah:

Geeez...I'm so sorry to hear this. :(. Can you see another doctor? I'm just wondering why they can't figure out why you're hurting. I'm wondering if its because you've been doing an awful lot and you have tendinitis? I dunno. I just DO know that even though its been five months since your TKR, it's not really five months since your last surgery because of the MUA. And you really have been on your feet quite a lot hun. Have you tried elevating above your heart and icing on and off ten minutes at a time? I know that really really helps me. Elevation and rest. At least do that in the meantime until you can get to the bottom of it. We sometimes have to prioritize ourselves to the top of the list even though it might be really hard to conceive of how that will happen.

I try not to say anything or ignore it in the hope it will go away, but it's not. You could be right in that I/we both know this knee has had a bit of a shock the last few weeks so maybe what was a smaller issue has now been inflamed? Maybe tomorrow I'll allow myself the luxury of icing & elevating. I just feel I'm going a bit backwards where as I really want to be leaping FORWARDS :sad: In fairness to my doctor he said he would see me in 6 months but if I have a problem I can contact him. Maybe I'll give it a few weeks & see if a bit more time helps. Annoying when you think you've stopped popping the pills & then you have to start again...
Thanks for your input Laura :flwrysmile:

I can imagine how frustrating that must feel Jaki. :( I agree that a good plan is to make a note on your calendar of this date and try to elevate above your heart a few times a day with some ice. Then in a week, make a note to see how you feel, if you feel better or not. if you don't, then maybe another call to the doc is in order. I will pray for you!

You know before my op the physio said that muscles can have 'remembered' pain, could it be this? She said shed had patients who couldn't walk without pain after op but when asked to walk backwards could do it pain free! I do still have pain on occasion like before the op bu I is getting easier. Hang in there.

That's very interesting Nancy. It would certainly explain things. I just find it so frustrating as I'm more than ready to be moving on & it always seems as though something new comes along to hinder me :sad: I'll give the walking backwards a try & let you know what happens! It could be a disaster! :heehee:

I feel for you because you and I seem to be about the same when we had our surgery but having more pain then most at this point in recovery. We both have had the MUA. So frustrating! Seems like I will have a few good days and start to think ok I am happy with this decision and then I start having some new pain. I can't figure out what my knee wants. I try ice and elevating, I try heat, I try no exercise, a small amount, or I increase it. Nothing works! I had a catching pain and thought I was going to need another surgery. It went away but now I have pain on the inside of my knee every time I set my foot down. So my walking is now limited. My ROM got to about 125, extension 2 and now I am back to 110 with 5 degrees extension. I use to not have problems with stairs and now I can't go down them. I sure pray that both of us start to see some big improvements soon. I think my doc doesn't want to see me anymore because he doesn't know what is going on with me either. :gaah: But I am still hopeful! :console2:

Snap :-( I hate moaning but I'm just a little bit fed up with not knowing where I stand with this damn knee. I know you shouldn't judge your recovery against others but when I hear someone can now walk unlimited miles/cycle/swim/ hold down a full time job/shop/dance/ live a NORMAL life, I get just a bit jealous & rather angry. I really thought at nearly 6 months the pains would be gone & it would be a case of increasing your stamina in what you could do or how far you could walk...WRONG :sad: the other day I had to sit in a car for a 2 hour journey & it felt like someone was shooting me on the outside of my knee. It was horrible, especially as exactly the same happened on the 2 hour return journey. I so want to be " recovered" now & quite frankly can't contemplate it being ANOTHER 6 months or so..... I spoke to my Doctor last week & she said she had just been to a major pain management conference & one of the things that came up was sometimes after a major op like TKR, you don't ever lose that feeling of the pain you had before having the surgery...YIKES :sad: Not even going to think about that BEFORE giving it another 6 months :)

Jaki, I am so sorry you are still having that pain, and emphatize with your frustration. That's interesting about "remebered pain". I wonder if it's like having a limb amputated and feelingl ike it's still with you. Sounds like you are having a hard time sitting, and I wonder it that's what Josephine describes in her article "Movie Sign". I haven't had an MUA, but I am trying to recover from a groin pull, and it is taking forever. It's difficult feeling like you're going backwards but from what I've read on these boards, an MUA taies some time to recover. Take care Jaki, and we just have to trust those that have gone before us that it will get better.

Dorothy

I was told that muscles can 'remember' pain so when you go to do something your brain just thinks 'this will hurt' and so it does! But eventually can be retrained, don't know how true it is?

Hopper
Mutley

I apologize for the accidental strike of the "strongly disagree" on your post. I think I meant to strike the "like" button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back