TKR Hello from the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this sounds very trivial compared to what some people are going through with they're knees but any advice or your own experiences would be most appreciated. WHEN will my leg feel normal again? Nearly 14 weeks post op and I'm getting fed up with trying to be patient with this slow recovery. I don't seem to be able to do anything longer than say an hour before my leg feels completely alien & useless :-(
I could accept that if it felt ok in the mornings I should expect it to be tired in the afternoons, but there is no logic to my day. I think I have the right balance of doing normal, daily things, resting, exercising & icing yet this stupid leg just won't co-operate. I'm getting increasing pain that runs through my groin, hip & the back of my knee. 14 weeks???? Can you veterans of TKR remember what your leg/new knee felt like or what you were able to do. I feel another black cloud looming overhead :gaah:

Aaah Mutley, I feel for you. But it's like you asking "how long is a piece of string". There is no general answer to your question of when will your leg feel normal again. We are all different in our recoveries, i.e. timescale, pain, mobility, etc.

Patience patience and more patience patience is needed for this long and rocky road to recovery. The majority of us have had good days and not so good days. I so well remember the black days, thinking that black cloud will never move from lurking over me day in, day out. But that cloud does lift, believe me.

I'm no expert to comment on your increase pain that runs through you, but others will be able to offer you more valuable advice on that.

Bear with it, dear friend. At six and a half months, I have improved more in this past month, but the new knee still feels alien to me and I guess it will for a good while yet.

Thanks for at least taking the time to reply Kathy, it means a lot. Can you actually remember what your leg felt like around this time? My knee doesn't swell but the whole leg just feels very stiff & I describe it as being "artificial". Does that make sense? I've just been out for a walk & i have to keep telling myself, walk properly, there's nothing wrong, but that lasts about 2 paces then feels all heavy again. I'm almost thinking this is all in my head, except I can feel it in my leg :sad: I'm not quite at the point of wishing I'd never had this done because at least I don't have that horrific bone on bone pain, BUT..............

No problem, Mutley. At about where you are, I had my MUA, which has made such a difference for me since.

What you have said above does make sense. When I am walking, I am educating myself with each step how to walk properly - you know the heel and toe thing. I would say what you are feeling is quite normal at this stage, although I am far from an expert. I'm quite sure it's not in your head either.

My knee tends to get stiff if I stand still for a while - like when preparing and cooking food in the kitchen. It's better off when I am moving it. But the rest of the leg is fine.

It will all improve in time, I know. Honestly :flwrysmile: And I am here any time for you.

Mutley you are saying what we all have said at some time or the other. No one could describe the recovery of this TKR and even if we all will be completely happy with the end result. My OS told me the day of surgery that he tells his paitents all the gory details of the operation on his first consultation to give his paitents time to change their mind. Yes its nice not to have the bone on bone pain any more but we do have a lot to get used to with a replacement. I have literally screamed at my husband on the bad days "You dont know what its like - no one knows what its like" and that is why I have been on this forum so much because on here you do know what its like. I hope you feel better soon and you know you have a place to vent and a place to tell us your good news too. Take care x x

Agree with all the above ..and Mutley , it IS still early days!
My husband has been great but sometimes e says, 'how can your knee be sore when it isn't there anymore!?'

Hi Jaki! Guess who! I'm so embarrassed to say that I just now found your recovery thread! Eesh, don't ask why I'm so challenged at the moment. Just chalk it up to all this recovering. I had not realized you had a manipulation. I'm so sorry you're having those hip and groin problems, and you probably got my email about it. I thought I'd mention it here though for everyone else....my leg was bent for years! All the muscles shortened dramatically. I have serious groin and hip problems, and a foot problem all because of this darn knee. I have lots of issues with the illopsoas muscle group. It's awful trust me. I've always had the problem of conveying the pain I'm in because I've suffered pain so much of my adult life. I've had other issues from a car accident which left me with steel in my neck and chronic pain. So please forgive me if you hear this happy happy typing when in fact, I'm not a happy camper either much of the time! It's very very slow this recovery. My surgeon told me yesterday that I look good and everything is fine and that it would take between six months and a year for me to feel normal again. Please take heart in knowing that you are not alone. And please vent any time to me! It will never get bothersome or old because I know how all this feels. Hugggs!

Ok, today's rant/question for you lovely people :) One of the things I thought you were actively encouraged to do while recovering from a TKR was to walk & slowly build up your stamina & distance. Well, I'm finding that I can't walk what I see as hardly any distance before being in great discomfort & losing the will to live :sad: yesterday I wanted to have a little mooch round M&S. I reckon with in about 15 minutes various parts of my leg were protesting. Surely I should be able to cope with a bit more by now? I'm getting increasingly more angry with my surgeon for NOT giving me more information on what to expect. His words to me were that most of his patients were making positive progress by 6 weeks. I stupidly assumed that would be me as I'm younger & relatively fit & healthy...WRONG:-( I've never been so depressed in my life with no guidelines of what & when to expect various changes. I feel justified when I say the surgeon does his job then your left on your own to "Get on with it" whatever "it" is???? Fed up from Farnborough :gaah:

Totally Totally agree Jacki. I think if they did tell us the full extent of the recovery there would be less TKR's done. I like you just wanted to go out and walk around the shops and feel normal. If im not going around a supermarket with the trolley to hold on to for dear life I have now started taking my cane out with me for support. I am further on than you 22 weeks now and thought I would be managing much better than this I am tackling the stairs now properly all be it slowly but as for walking any distance I continually feel disapointed with my progress. This is why Im in no hurry to have my second knee done as this knee isnt ready for that yet. My un op knee seems to be benefiting from the exercises I have been doing at home. Physio was dismal for me. Didnt help at all and discharged at six weeks. Maybe thats the problem Im not sure. I do know one day I would love to get out of bed and feel my walking is normal but Im not up to that yet. Hopefully soon.

Awwe, don't feel alone! I still can't walk very far either! Standing in one place is even worse!! I'm very stiff when I rise from a chair too, not to mention my other bad knee. :\ I really detest doctors that expect so much from their patients in some sort of "cookie-cutter" type of view. Everyone is different. I definitely agree with Robyn that the sunniest view is always given by the doctors naturally or...Robyn is right...there would be less of them done! I do think that it takes a long time to heal. Even my own surgeon said it would be between 6 months and a year before I felt normal. I think what you're feeling is normal Jacki. Heck, I just started driving a few days ago and I'm at three months! Huggs!

Thanks Pat & Laura for your replies :) Pat, I felt a little bit heartened by your reply but only in the fact that you sound like your experiencing EXACTLY THE SAME thing as me! On the downside, I'm sorry for you that you are feeling disappointed at your lack of progress at 22 weeks :sad: I'm now thinking, Oh No! 8 weeks further on than me so what does that mean for me?? Laura, I think your handling your slower recovery in a much more laid back kind of way which I'm sure is better for you & everyone around you :) I'm like a coiled spring waiting to snap! I'm BORED of talking about my TKR recovery, I'm tired of moaning/whining about it & I'm fed up of TRYING to be patient & WAITING for my knee to say, "Off you go then" :gaah: ....I think my SPRING has just SNAPPED :sad: I see my physio on Thursday, I'm feeling sorry for HIM already!

I'm at PT waiting for my appointment and I must remember to show my hubby that someone thought I was laid back about this! May I cackle now? LOL! Im actually a worry wart but I think my physical therapist had instilled some confidence in me. Plus reading the posts here helps greatly! Our knees have their own schedule and I guess I've just given into the process. That's not to say I don't get depressed because I do. Your physio is soon right? Maybe getting a bit more direction and confirmation that you are normal will help you feel better? Hoping you have a better day very very soon!

Ooh I remember it well, like you I thought as a relatively 'young' patient for this op that i d skoosh the recovery and 3/6 months didn't apply to me. I soon learned differently! At 3 months I was at GP in tears convinced something was majorly wrong . She laughed. Said it is harder for a younger person as they expect more and that it would be a year before i was happy I d done it. SE also said that surgeons don't always understand the recovery bit as their job isdone with the op. it's hard to learn how much you can do without hurting and we ve all had days when we overdid it and paid for it. Trial and error. Keep your chin up, I'm sure if you look back you will see how far you've come already.

Thank you Nancy! You are always the voice of reason for me :) I'm sitting here quite comfortable on the sofa & I just thought to myself that I'd almost forgotton I'd had a knee replacement...and then I go to get up :groan: Still, a few weeks back I was wishing for " Just a glimpse of normality" so I must remember this moment tomorrow...when I'll probably be moaning again :)

Well, saw my physio yesterday & can't help but feel a little disappointed :sad: In the last 3 weeks DESPITE my extra efforts, ROM has only increased by 5 to 105 & extension is about 4-5, previously 6-7. I know it is an improvement but I was hoping for a little more. I'm now booked in for a few sessions in the Hydrotherapy pool, starting this afternoon. I'm really trying to take on board that although I'm nearly 15 weeks post op, the MUA was just 6 weeks ago. I think I haven't mentally taken on board the significance of this fact, and actually, it's possibly due to the MUA that I feel I'm still lagging behind...

st pats 14.jpg
You should be gauging your recovery from when you had your MUA. It made for some very angry soft tissue. Your ROM is fine and is very likely to get even better. And it's amazing how much it will improve if you will stop fixating on it and just get on with rehabbing the knee with easy stretching and bending exercises and just living. The numbers are not what is important---it's whether you can do the things you want to do that really counts.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. st pat hug 10.jpg

Hi Jacki, I think Judy is right in saying you should take your date from the MUA. Your ROM is good dont worry about it. I reckon in the next couple of weeks you will see a big improvement if you just relex, doing gentle exercises and TRYING not to think about it. Ive no idea what my numbers are and I reckon that makes it easier for me. Ive nothing to panic over. Sending you hugs x x
156485_470521763003308_1786769934_n.jpg

You go girl!! Anytime we disturb things in our bodies, it takes awhile to recover. heck, I'm three months out and still have swelling! And my ROM isn't what I'd like it to be either. I think it's hard to be satisfied because we always want to get better sooner rather than later. I'm off to PT and will send you an email later. Hugs!

Just returned from my session in the Hydrotherapy pool & it was FAB U LOUS :)
Not just because the water was really warm either! Just 4 ladies in this session & a lovely, smiley physio showing me how to achieve the best results at each station. I could have stayed in there for the rest of the day :) To be able to squat down in the water was mentally refreshing & again when we did a straightening exercise & my leg felt "normal" :thumb: :yes!: I feel so much more focused now to keep 'plodding on' & just trying for a few more degrees. If they don't come, hey! I should just be able to manage with what I have...I think! Today is a GOOD DAY! Fingers crossed for lots more of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member