THR Hello from the other side

SnowyOwl

Country
United States United States
THR: check!
The dr was happy with the surgery yesterday, and I have been feeling well, pain level 0-2.
The first PT session went well, I was so happy that I could walk with no pain... But then I passed out (didn’t fall so all good) and had low blood pressure so they decided to keep me for one night. It was the right thing to do, it is so comfortable having an army of kind nurses taking good care of you!
Just got back home, under the snow, and trying to get ready for the pain level to rise tonight & tomorrow.

@cetch1 thank you for your note, we’re hip twins now! Hope you are recovering well. Let’s stay in touch.

@SnowyOwl
Welcome to the OtherSide! :welome:
Sounds like you are doing well, glad to hear you did not fall when you fainted at the hospital.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Just got back home, under the snow, and trying to get ready for the pain level to rise tonight & tomorrow.

Not a guarantee that it will. Take your meds on schedule and ice, ice, ice,
like it’s your job :wink: I waited for that Day Three, Day Four pain some speak of and those days were no worse that the previous few. So no need to brace yourself, just relax, sleep when you’re able, stay adequately hydrated and spend lots of time with your new best friend:ice:
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend! :)

Thank you Layla. I slept 12 hours last night - was very tired when I got back from the hospital... I keep taking my pain meds on schedule, and keep ice with me most of the time. So far so good, you’re right I’ll try to relax a bit and not stress too much...

Happy new hip day. I hope you make a speedy recovery x

Thank you @Lucy1980! I feel very tired and have been sleeping a lot these past two nights. Trying to walk few minutes every hour during the day, and my ice pack is my new best friend!

:hi: @SnowyOwl (love your user name... Such beautiful creatures:roseshwr:)

Great to see you on the Healing Side.
Ice became my bestest pal post op too!
These early days can be a bit tough but the end result is definitely worth it.:happydance:

Hope today is a good day.

Hi! I am right at 3 weeks THR, you’re doing great! It will keep getting better! Hang in there and keep giving yourself lots of rest and ice! It saved me!
Wishing you a wonderful recovery!

Thank you all! Your messages warm my heart. I feel very lucky, not having too much pain, and a kind husband who takes care of the kids and meals at home. I reduced my dose of Tramadol last might and still feel ok. I was so dizzy before, I could barely focus and play simple card games with the kids... Feeling more awake now. I can feel my body went through a traumatic event, and all my energy is drained by recovery. I know I have a long journey ahead of me, but with this support group I feel I have the right people I can rely on for advices. Thank you! :friends:

@SnowyOwl im so glad you don’t have much pain. Please continue to post. It helps a great deal.

Good Morning and Happy Tuesday to you! :wave:
It’s good to read your pain is well managed and hopefully tolerable at this point. You’re blessed to have an attentive loving family caring for you. You’re right, your body has been through a “controlled“ trauma, but you’re healing and on your way to a better life without the pain. What a Summer you’ll have!

Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
I hope today is a good one! :)
@SnowyOwl

You are absolutely right @Layla. I went to bed a bit late for two successive nights and as a result I had such low energy yesterday, I didn’t do all the exercices I was supposed to do, I had more pain than usual and was feeling kind of blue... I realize I need at least a 10-hour night sleep these days rather than 7/8... I slept well last night and feel so much better today! Planning to cook my first meal since surgery!

Just regular PT provided by the Dr, low regimen as I just ended week 1 post-surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks