TKR Hello From Australia

JanPea

Country
Australia Australia
Hello from Australia, I had a TKR on 23/9 so 11 days post op. Can we talk pain and what is normal and what might be something else. I’m getting a sharp stabbing pain like an electric shock, is that normal?

thanks
Janice

@JanPea Hi and Welcome!

Yes, that all sounds normal.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@JanPea This sharp stabbing pain sounds very much like Zingers these are common after a knee replacement and can appear out of the blue anytime of the day and usually catch you unaware giving a startling pain which occasionally makes you :censored:I was told by my surgeon that it is the nerves healing, with time this will disappear x

Last edited:
I had a TKR on 23/9 so 11 days post op. Can we talk pain and what is normal and what might be something else. I’m getting a sharp stabbing pain like an electric shock, is that normal?

Hi @JanPea My surgery was just about a week ahead of yours (15th) and I had that "shock" type pain quite often for the first couple of weeks. It seems to have quieted down now -- although one will still hit me occasionally.

I was very lucky this time to have a nerve blocker in my thigh for 5 days that stopped those zingers but I had them post-op in the hospital really bad and they had to re-do the tube as it had fallen out of place. I remember those zingers from my first TKR, they are not fun! Good luck in your recovery!

It is a sign your nerves are regenerating and it will disappear and possibly come back from time to time. It's startling but it generally passes after a couple of weeks. I asked the same exact question after my TKR --- this is the stuff the doctors neglect to mention before you go in. So glad for this forum to demystify things

Yup! Those doggone zingers are the pits! What helped me most was a magnesium gel I found… I’ll go see if I can find the place on this forum where it’s posted; I think I recall there being a source for it listed here… I’m not sure why or how it helps, but it may be that magnesium penetrates to the nerve level and offers the nerves what they need to recover so they stop zinging us!

Here is the post about magnesium, too… drat! I tried to copy the link, but it didn’t work. In the top bar there is a magnifying glass that is the search function. Type magnesium in that to get to the paper about it, if you are interested…

Last edited:
@BBCG I remember copying down a magnesium product from your post a couple of months ago. Was it this?

Ancient Minerals Magnesium Lotion Ultra with MSM Pure Genuine Zechstein Magnesium Lotion Supplement for Topical Application (5 oz)

I found it on Amazon, but my zingers stopped so I didn’t order it.

Yes, that’s it! I think I have the gel but I might get the lotion if needed again as that be less sticky afterwards! (My cat really liked sniffing the sticky residue… at least she didn’t try licking it!)

Hello there fellow Australian. Yes know exactly what you are talking about. My zingers tend to surprise me when I have just settled down in bed & starting to feel relaxed from my meds. When they hit the foot flys up covers fly off & my partner jolts upright in bed. We have a good laugh about it every time. Happy that they are only there for the time being though.

Thanks all for the reply’s. I am now 4 weeks post op , but still getting zapped by the electric shocks, but pain is better. The real challenge is getting comfortable in bed and sleeping well

Hi JanPea, I am over 6 weeks post-op and still get the zingers daily, although they have lessened considerably. As for comfort in bed, I continue to sleep with 2 pillows, so my head and shoulders are raised plus I sleep with a pillow in my bed for either putting between my knees or elevating my knee. That seems to continue to work for me. Glad to hear your pain is better!

Glad to hear your pain is easing and hope the ROM will follow. Keep doing what makes you happy while your body heals.

I also still get zingers but less frequently. I have a steady low level pain right at the joint on the medial side. The tightness around the front of the knee when I bend is getting better over time.

I sleep with a cervical pillow under my head and a pillow between my knees, though between the knees may be an off description. I stagger the knees around the pillow so that the knees don't touch - still too much pain. With those 2 pillows, I can shift from one side to the other and have just started sleeping through the night (with a little help from a 1:1 medical THC/CBD tincture now that I'm off the hard drugs). I haven't been a back sleeper since I was pregnant 40 years ago.

Glad to hear your pain is easing and hope the ROM will follow. Keep doing what makes you happy while your body heals.

I also still get zingers but less frequently. I have a steady low level pain right at the joint on the medial side. The tightness around the front of the knee when I bend is getting better over time.

I sleep with a cervical pillow under my head and a pillow between my knees, though between the knees may be an off description. I stagger the knees around the pillow so that the knees don't touch - still too much pain. With those 2 pillows, I can shift from one side to the other and have just started sleeping through the night (with a little help from a 1:1 medical THC/CBD tincture now that I'm off the hard drugs). I haven't been a back sleeper since I was pregnant 40 years ago.

OK! After reading your post, maybe I can get back to my side-sleeping, before my surgery, my preferred position. So far, mostly back- sleeping, but maybe it’s just finding the right size/ firmness of pillow for between the knees? Also, I’m back to our couch - just could NOT get comfortable on our bed, or futon. ( set up). But I Did get clearance from Dr to not sleep with my feet elevated all night.. And, I’m SO glad to know about Zingers! I’ve had a few, not too many ....... but, before removing my dressing, assumed that it was staples moving out. When we removed the dressing - no staples! Nerve endings waking up makes a lot more sense. Reassuring to be informed!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back