Bilateral THR Cold-brew's Big Bilateral THR Adventure

Everybody’s case is probably a bit different. But:

Pre op I could put shoes on okay-ish. What was killing me pre op more than the ROM was the pain and sleepless nights if I went and *did anything* beyond the bare minimum once I had the shoes on.

So now at 9 weeks post op I’d say I’m still not at the ROM I was pre op, but in the last week what’s changed is PT recently approved doing fig 4 ish motions for socks and stretches. Though I don’t think I could have got socks on that way even if I wanted to, until maybe week 6-7. I’ve been doing ROMish outpatient PT (clams and stretches etc) since about week 5 but nothing too hardcore, I think most of the progress on ROM is just things healing up.

Other sock hacks that worked for me for a few weeks (like starting week 5-6) before going fig-4:
a) sit on bed, just bend knee to get heel up on bed frame
b) lift sock foot to *behind* the other knee (like a halfhearted fig 4 needing less rotation from hip)

I still wear the Kiziks everywhere so putting shoes on is not an issue, just step in and go :)

You got this @Jad26

Thank you for the info sounds like your doing really well which is great news i hope u get the ROM u want soon. I just hope i will be able to put socks on once im fully healed. I know it takes work and patience but it just feels impossible right now its still early days but at what week was u able to start stretching and pushing things a bit more? Im 9 days today pain is not so bad can manage stairs and short walks with crutches. What kind of routine/physio was u doing after week 2? This is where i feel the proper physio can start for me i just need the right stretches/excercise to get a good ROM so i can get my socks on im just not confident in pushing things incase interrupt my healing. Any help would be much appreciated thank you
@cold_brew

Well I haven’t been “pushing it” that much, esp early on. Took the bonesmart crowd’s advice and let things heal up.

Sounds like you’re doing better than me if you are doing stairs and walks at 9 days!

Looking back it took me 2+ weeks for the PT to let me go down 8 front steps to the sidewalk and walk 100ft with a walker, and about a month before going upstairs in my house.

I gave myself a break this weekend from the ~1 mile walks I was doing and I think I feel a little better.

So…take it easy on yourself for the first few weeks. Then maybe start focusing on the stretches and stuff. Slow n steady @Jad26 !

The PT I was doing 2 weeks in was super low key. Calf raises, sitting quad extensions, little half squats, ‘marching’ in place, hamstrung curl (lifting heel up towards butt), sidestepping, …not much “stretching”. Maybe the hamstring curl was a bit of a hip flexor stretch but overall pretty gentle at that point. Lots of ice and quality recliner time :)

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope it was a good one.
@cold_brew

The PT I was doing 2 weeks in was super low key. Calf raises, sitting quad extensions, little half squats, ‘marching’ in place, hamstrung curl (lifting heel up towards butt), sidestepping, …not much “stretching”. Maybe the hamstring curl was a bit of a hip flexor stretch but overall pretty gentle at that point. Lots of ice and quality recliner time :)
Thank you for the information i will incorporate this into my excercises from next just going to take it slow n steady like you said as there is no rush.I will continue with small walks and light excercise for now with plenty of rest and ice. When was you able to start sleeping on your side i get so uncomfortable just laying on my back to a point where i can't go bk to sleep its annoying i just want to roll over on my side but worried about pressure on the incisions i had anterior so technically there not on the side but still not sure.

Hi @Jad26 :wave:
Coming up on the two week mark and I know this was when I was thinking..."what was I thinking doing Both at Once?":umm:
Our early days are tougher but we are on one recovery path and know when we get through it we will be good to go!
.I will continue with small walks and light excercise for now with plenty of rest and ice.
Exactly as you should for now.:thumb:

When was you able to start sleeping on your side i get so uncomfortable just laying on my back to a point where i can't go bk to sleep its annoying i just want to roll over on my side but worried about pressure on the incisions i had anterior so technically there not on the side but still not sure.
This is a Major Complaint and boy is it tough.
Too early for now, in my opinion, but the worst part is if you could you probably wouldn't as it really isn't comfortable either.

Back sleeping and agitated legs make for long nights...:oyvey:
All temporary friend.

Hi @Jad26 :wave:
Coming up on the two week mark and I know this was when I was thinking..."what was I thinking doing Both at Once?":umm:
Our early days are tougher but we are on one recovery path and know when we get through it we will be good to go!
.I will continue with small walks and light excercise for now with plenty of rest and ice.
Exactly as you should for now.:thumb:

When was you able to start sleeping on your side i get so uncomfortable just laying on my back to a point where i can't go bk to sleep its annoying i just want to roll over on my side but worried about pressure on the incisions i had anterior so technically there not on the side but still not sure.
This is a Major Complaint and boy is it tough.
Too early for now, in my opinion, but the worst part is if you could you probably wouldn't as it really isn't comfortable either.

Back sleeping and agitated legs make for long nights...:oyvey:
All temporary friend.
Yep nearly 2 weeks this friday time has gone pretty quick but feels slow at times lol. I know getting 2 done is a big thing but at least it saves another hospital trip the thought of going through all that again is not appealing.
It is very uncomfortable i can get to sleep no problems but if i wake up for toilet i struggle to get bk to sleep my lower back really aches i just want to curl up on my side so bad lol. Hopefully in a few more weeks il be able to sleep on my side. Dressings will be coming of on friday bit nervous about that

@Jad26 i slept in a recliner for the first two weeks bc it was a little better for back sleeping. Also bed was uncomfortable at first to lay out totally flat vs having a little bend at the hip in the chair.

I used my last few Percocet’s just at night to help sleep out til about 3 weeks.

I started sleeping on my side at 3-4 weeks but it took another couple weeks to really start feeling ok; at first I had to switch sides every hour or two.

I was sleeping on either side by 2 weeks but I also had to switch sides every hour or two. I used a pillow between my knees and still do at 16 weeks.

I had used the sock aid for several months before my surgery. I had to continue using it for at least 2 months after. My left foot was much easier than my right. I had to use the sock aid just on the right side an additional few weeks. I just kept trying and now it’s easy on both sides. Shoes are easy too.

Had a pretty nice walk today, about a mile and felt great. Then tightened up later and needed some ice time.

I guess that’s better than last week when on the same walk I’d get some tightness before I even finished…progress I guess? Maybe best to ease off a bit

Gotta love that ice! :ice:I know I did.
Possibly last week you were more active before you even began your walk. Progress can be slow, but normally steady. Read this article, if you haven't already...its rather interesting.
Healing: How long does it take?
@cold_brew

Bumped the walk up to 3 laps around the block today (about 1.3 miles, 30 mins). Feeling good, no regrets…yet

"Yet" :heehee:
Ice preventatively and I'll bet tomorrow you're GOLDEN, just like this :beer: cold brew!
@cold_brew

:egypdance: Moving forward... glad to hear you are doing well.
Ebb and flow seems to describe THR recovery best for me.
Hope your weekend is sweet!

10 weeks?!?! Where does the time go?

Not that much to update, just getting better bit by bit.

Up to walking around the block 3x (half an hour, a bit under 1.5 miles). Now up to half an hour on the exercise bike. Continuing to see PT once a week and do the exercises at home.

L hip is real good. R hip still tight/stiff in front, esp after chairs and cars. I think it’s getting a bit better though?

Barely ever use the cane anymore unless I’m going to be standing around a lot or sitting in a chair a lot.

Tapering off on the Tylenol, finally, now just taking a couple tablets a day. Still icing a couple of times a day.

Still a big area of numb skin on R thigh. Wonder when/if that will finally come back?

Slow and steady wins the race!

Hi @cold_brew
I certainly felt the stiffness after sitting for much of the first 6 months and after.
It is splendid that you are walking so well but staying steady is the way to go.
My right hip was also my "Slower" hip or the one that seemed to have more achiness and stiffness. Perhaps it was my more dominant leg...the one I began and rest on?
It also had a fairly large patch of numbness (more so than the left) that I, at one point...thought may be collateral damage from the surgery.
I would have been okay with that trade-off though.
Some time after the first year I noticed it was minimal just sensitive - and now all normal.
Hope you have a teriffic Tuesday.

10 weeks?!?! Where does the time go?
So true! Initially you long to be one week post op, at least I did, then suddenly the weeks start clicking on by.
Barely ever use the cane anymore unless I’m going to be standing around a lot or sitting in a chair a lot.
If you're not already, you may want to take it on outings for a time as a clear signal to others to keep their distance. I kept my cane in the back seat of my vehicle for a time just in case I felt the need.

Regarding numbness -
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Hope you have a great week! :wave:

11 weeks!

Updates are getting boring, good boring :)

Walking a little further every week. Almost 2 miles yesterday!

Still the same lingering bits of weirdness in R leg. R hip gets a little stiff/tight if I stand or sit too long. Still, that effect is maybe getting a tiny bit better as time goes by, hard to tell.

Switched off the Tylenol a while ago. Still taking about 4x Advil a day, it helps a little esp the days where I sit a lot and don’t move around enough because of work.

Ice packs are still my friends :)

3 month checkin coming up a week from Friday, will be interesting to see the X-rays!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom