Bilateral THR Cold-brew's Big Bilateral THR Adventure

4 weeks today!

The latest:

PT says I can now go outside and walk up and down the block with my cane. Previously only recommended the cane indoors. We probably caned about 100yd today.

I should be getting discharged from home PT later this week and then it’s time to start outpatient PT.

Last week added some glute bridges (in bed, not yet time to get down on the floor!) to the exercise regime. Some strong zips and zaps in the numb skin area of my R thigh when I do them. I guess the good news is that there are still some nerves there that might come back. Interestingly if I massage just the right area of the incision the zaps go away and I can get a little more ROM on the bridges. PT encouraged gently massaging the incision area to help with scar tissue.

Took a shower standing up today! Kept the chair in the shower though for something to grab onto or sit on just in case.

Sent back the GameReady ice/compression rental system after 4 weeks. If it were free I’d keep it forever. I think my “ice pants” were more habit forming than the Percocet! :) Sad to see it go. Super helpful for the first couple of weeks when the swelling was bad, but now if I am honest with myself at this point I can get by just as well with regular icepacks.

4-week scar pics uploaded to the scar thread. Looking pretty good IMO. Not sure actually how it all worked - no external stitches/staples, just steristrip magic.
So, back to my underwear modeling career in a few more weeks I guess :p

Happy Four Week Anniversary!
"Caned" a 100yds :heehee:

Bridges like this? 1659997599760.png If so please be careful because they can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings.

Your incision scar is looking good. Can't believe I peeked because some make me feel kind of sick, but yours is looking clean / good!

Have a great week!
@cold_brew

Yeah that kind of bridges. Hopefully I can handle them OK since I was doing similar/same exercises to strengthen up in the months before the procedure.

Day 29

Lots of progress today!

Went up (and back down) a full flight of stairs — I got to stand in my own living room for the first time in a month

Proper standing-up shower, omg I am so done with the shower seat

Walked outside with the cane almost to the end of the block and back!

Hey there @cold_brew
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a good week and enjoying your walks outdoors.
Cheers and best wishes! :cheers:

5 weeks today.

Not much forward progress to report. Getting around okay - walking about a block is about the limit still. Been out to a few get togethers and restaurants has been great. But sitting in a proper chair for an hour+ at such events still takes its toll. Ice ice ice!

Outpatient PT starts next week. And next week my kids come back from the grandparents - I miss them!

But sitting in a proper chair for an hour+ at such events still takes its toll. Ice ice ice!
I remember this well. It's either too hard, or the confinement is too much to bear. Some people have brought those kitchen chair type of cushions with them for those early recovery meals at the restaurant for more comfort. For me though it was more about being stuck in the same position for too long. Good luck with the PT next week. Ill bet the kids miss you just as much. :roseshwr:Happy Five Week Anniversary!

Yeah things tighten up (esp R hip) if my leg is at 90deg (like sitting up in a chair) for too long without moving around

cold brew,
I had same, couldn't sit for any length of time in a chair, I could walk or lay down ok but sitting was difficult. Even now if I sit at restaurant table too long I'm so stiff when I get up. Had lunch Friday with a friend and we were in restaurant 2 hours and I told her when I stood up needed to get my legs moving before I could really get going!
After first few steps I'm totally fine.

I called them my "stutter steps" and after those... legs decide they are going to cooperate and more along.:) :-) (:

@cold_brew Happy One Month Hipversary:tada:
You are a bionic bilateral who is keeping it real and doing things the right way.
Too much and not enough were my one month themes.
Too much walking and stairs and standing.... equalled tightness later.
Not enough (lots of sitting) equalled tightness.:oyvey:
It truly is a time thing at this point so keep the faith.
I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life!

5 1/2 weeks

Still staying with some friends this week. Too hilly to walk anywhere nearby, but I am walking laps around their pool. Fitbit says I just clocked 1000 steps, no cane! Time for some preemptive ice.

Also sssh don’t tell my OS who says no pool until 6 weeks, but I bent the rules by a couple days to take a 5 minute dip while it’s been 90+ deg here. SO GOOD OMG. Kept it real short since it’s probably not ideal to get my nice incisions all soft and prune-y with a long soak.

Doing good @cold_brew :tada:

Glad you kept your dip short and sweet...
:swim:

Lol I had a dream last night where I was playing sand volleyball. Sadly even in the dream I was like “ooh I better not jump too hard, I’m on the new hips”. Can I at least have a 30 inch vertical leap when I’m dreaming???

Not too hard to figure out what this dream means :)

Next to last day staying with my friends out in the country. Walked down the (long, about a city block but with some legit ups and downs) driveway to the highway and back, maybe 75% of it with no cane.

Not gonna lie, a little tight and stiff afterwards, but on the other hand not really pain per se. So… progress!

@cold_brew When my surgeon discharged me after my BTHR he said the only permanent restriction I had was "NO bungie jumping" ... so eventually I think you'll get your 30" vertical jump back (and maybe higher) and not even think of having non original hips.

Also funny I distinctly remember having the “huh I guess bungee jumping would probably be a bad idea” thought out the blue a couple days ago

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom