Bilateral THR Cold-brew's Big Bilateral THR Adventure

Good job, you "both at once" hero.
Easy does it... Slow and steady...

Just a snapshot in time where you'll be in a few months

Nice - PT today says now I can go down my front steps & up and down the block for a (walker) ‘stroll’, if my wife is around to supervise! Time to get outside!!!
I was able to start toddling outdoors with my walker after one week since I only had 1 step. Just very tiny walks at first and so slowly! I felt rather embarrassed to be using a walker! My neighbors are used to seeing me out walking fast and now I was hobbling on a walker!

Enjoy your walk outdoors! It’s so much nicer than doing circles indoors!

Walker strolls are great! Oh the places you’ll go!
Ok. Maybe just around the block. :heehee:
But it’s a good start towards your independence!
I made a mistake once while walking when I realized I should’ve turned around towards home sooner.
Don’t be a crickethip. Be a wise planner.

Day 16…

Tried sleeping on my side a little last night with a pillow between knees. Felt ok for short periods but seems a ways off from sleeping normally (for me) that way all night. Still, it’s encouraging that there wasn’t too much discomfort in the op/incision area.

Other progress - up until the last day or two, if I fully extended my leg (contracting quads) for a few seconds, I’d feel a burning feeling in my quads afterwards for a minute or two. Not agonizing but definitely uncomfortable. No doubt related to all the surgery pushing and pulling.

But in the last couple of days that seems to have nearly gone away. Good riddance!

Day 16…

Tried sleeping on my side a little last night with a pillow between knees. Felt ok for short periods but seems a ways off from sleeping normally (for me) that way all night. Still, it’s encouraging that there wasn’t too much discomfort in the op/incision area.
I remember the wonderful feeling of that first attempt at sleeping on my side... it was about 2 weeks as well. Finally was able to start sleeping better. Hated attempting to sleep on my back. Could never get more than 2 hours at a time.

Day 17

Actually got a few good hours of sleep in last night, sleeping on the L side (L seems a bit less traumatized than the R side). Felt good.

A little stiff this morning though, maybe I overdid it a pinch on the outdoor walking yesterday, probably about 1/4 mile total in two walks down the block and back. Gonna keep it to one walk today.

Great Job, my double hippy pal. Baby steps are better than going full-blown for a while longer.
Once all is healed, you are going to be rockin and rollin:chuckmarch:

Day 18

For the last couple days I’d been taking just one 5mg Percocet before bed. Finally weaned off last night. Slept a bit worse but … survivable. Think I’m done with the ‘hard stuff’ now

Good News!
Those first outings can be tiring, but it feels so good to be part of the world again! Did you have a cold brew? :wink:
You're making progress. Keep up the good work and stay in touch.
Happy Sunday! :)
@cold_brew

3 weeks today!

Life is good.

Still on the walker but when nobody’s looking I can take a few steps without it. Walking about 200yd up and down the block every day. Getting up and down my (7) front steps with a cane & handrail & no drama.

Sleeping in bed. Using regular toilet seat. Still using shower seat though since there’s not much to hold on to in my shower.

Not much pain. 3000mg Tylenol daily; done with the oxycodone. A little stiff and achy in the mornings but better after taking morning Tylenols and icing. Range of motion is getting better, in the last few days I can now usually lie flat in bed, though R hip can still tighten up a bit if I’ve been sitting a while in a regular chair near 90deg.

Skin on the outside of R thigh is still numb. Maybe that’ll come back someday. All the steristrips are off and the incisions look good.

So yeah. Seems like now it’s just the slow climb the rest of the way back. I can try swimming in a couple weeks (op + 6). Can drive in a few more (op + 8). Maybe trade in the walker for a cane soon. We’ll see!

You are doing great, my double hippy compadre @cold_brew
:chuckmarch:
I thought at 6 months post op...
one leg in particular ....the numbness was likely collateral damage...but with my newfound mobility and absence of bone-crunching pain... I was okay with it.
I got less aware of it too.... so not sure when it finally all got back to normal, but it actually did.
Onward and upward:egypdance:

Yeah I had similar numbness from a hernia fix decades ago and it eventually came back. This seems similar, so I’m sure eventually the feeling will come back on my leg too.

Day 22

PT visited today and we tried walking back and forth from my room to the bathroom with the cane, instead of the walker, for the first time. Tough, and time for some ice afterwards but we did it!

Good job! Those first milestones feel so awesome. I'm happy for you. Just be careful not to overdo it initially. I speak from personal experience and a desire to kick that walker to the curb.
Have a great rest of the week!
@cold_brew

Been getting around the house now on cane exclusively for the past 2 days…loving it. Random low level aches and pains really aren’t any worse than they were with the walker after the first day of getting used to the cane.

Still using the walker for the nighttime bed to bathroom trips though, just in case my sleepy brain isn’t 100% on top of not falling over.

Outside with the walker I made it all the way to the end of the block yesterday.

PT comes back today…wonder if we can try the cane outside

Good job, it does get better and better.
Hope you were able to toodle about outside!:) :-) (:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom