Bilateral THR Cold-brew's Big Bilateral THR Adventure

Yeah legs are feeling better after spending today really elevating “for real” with a big stack of pillows. Got a pillow wedge thing on the way too…

Tried laying down in the bed today instead of the recliner. Felt good, with the above big stack of leg pillows. But the bed is pretty low and I might need more time to get to where I can get back out of the bed OK. Maybe in a couple days….

Dressings off today. Weird newfangled dressings made of sticky rubbery stuff with gauze in the middle, I guess they make a nice watertight seal. Steri strips underneath looking good, little blood — no surprise based on the low level of spotting visible on the gauze with the dressings on — but still good to see directly. So, that’s all good news.

Now to sort out these puffy ankles!

I had that Aqualcel bandage too. Watertight and thick absorbent material in the center. It filled with fluid and blood from July 5 to July 15. I went to dr office and they removed that bandage and the metal staples and added steri-strips which are supposed to fall off on their own. I had some bleeding after they put the steri-strips on but it finally stopped. I am so bored sitting around the house. Is anyone else bored?

All the best mate, you sound like it’s going to plan, take it easy from my experience ups and downs weekly, which soon become more ups than downs, and don’t worry you will be running again (52) inside 12 month, having that first ‘pony‘ is a big relief.
stay fit pal and wish you a speedy recovery.

The Amazon boxes keep coming. Latest arrival today was a “Lounge Doctor” pillow wedge that is already a big improvement in keeping my puffy feet elevated. Was getting by before with just a pile of 3 or so pillows but my feet always ended up dangling down with my knees highest. This is better!

Talked to the GameReady rental folks about my leaky ice/pressure machine late last week. Just received a replacement unit via UPS today and…no more puddles! +1 to those guys for customer service.

Home PT came by again today and we upgraded a few exercises and added going up and down about 5 real steps once a day.

Getting back and forth from recliner to bathroom well enough that my wife doesn’t need to get out of bed anymore to supervise when I have to pee at 3am.

Chipping away… Slow and steady wins the race!

The parking pass is going to be quite helpful in downtown San Francisco. Glad to have it!
I completely agree, we live in a heavily congested area, that handicapped placard was a true super power, indeed. Then there comes a day when you don't mind parking further away. Let it be the hero it's intended to be. :fasthorse:

PT came by for a visit today. Together we went down the front steps (8 of em) to the sidewalk with handrail & cane, and took the walker for a spin about 25 yards down the sidewalk and back. Then back up the stairs and to the recliner for some well deserved ice.

I asked if I should go outside again on the days before the next PT visit, but sadly “no”… but we’ll get there. Ready to go off the leash and start tearing up this block!

Oooh, a little outing for you today, you are doing so well.

We had surgery the same day and it seems so long ago now and in some ways just like yesterday LOL

Oh my, do wait for the PT and give yourself some time....

- flashback -
I rehabbed at my sister's as she has an open single floor plan and a walk-in shower so my better half and I stayed in her guest room for the first 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately the stairs to outside had no railings and, as you know, double hippys have double trouble with stairs. On a beautiful day at a few weeks post op, I began to feel like a caged animal stuck at home alone and decided I could caaaarefully go down the four steps one by one.
I did well, and used her carport to practice walking about.
Long story short, I got really tired and realized No Way I was getting back up those stairs. I had no phone and it was getting up to 85 degrees outside.
And my husband was over an hour later than he intended...probably needed time away from me.:heehee:
I was So upset by the time my BIL got home and drinking out of the water hose!:heehee:

You are doing great.... don't get antsy now my double hippy cohort.

Post op checkin with surgeon today, nothing too newsworthy. No news is good news.

Got my rx extended for a few more pain pills (just a handful to get through the last couple days of tapering off).

Swelling in areas away from the work (ankles, rest of thighs) is pretty good. Incisions look solid.

So yeah. Pretty much just rest and ice and PT from here…

Glad to see your update.
Hope your weekend is sweet:) :-) (:

The numb area on my outer right thigh is maybe starting a comeback. A little prickly/burny today. I guess that’s good in the long term.

Overall feeling ok but mornings seem a bit tougher. Once I get moving/icing again after waking up, things start to feel better though.

Still not quite able to make sleeping in the bed work (as opposed to the recliner)… somehow the recliner works better for me as someone who’s not a natural back sleeper.

I continue to have same numbness and do get that burny sensation as well..
Last few days outside of hip feels like it's pulling when I lay a certain way or get into car, almost like a nerve sensation and it goes from my hip down to my knee. It goes away, just an uncomfortable feeling, not painful.
Everyday is a new adventure!
Funny thing, we were at my son's pool yesterday and I started saying about the numbness sometimes. He was in a bad motorcycle accident over 20 years ago, both his knee caps were smashed and had to be put together with wires, he was totally non weight bearing for 8 weeks. He was telling me yesterday his knees are still numb and his feet are always cold. I guess certain nerves just never reconnect.
I had no idea because he had never discussed this with me prior to yesterday.

My recliner was much more comfy for me for the first month and even after.
I had prickles, and some rather intense burning at times that put me running to the forum with 'ls this normal?"
Also, as things progressed, I would get brief, errant, but intense Zips and Zaps!
The patches of numbness got smaller with time...but still felt it at 1 year out.
All normal now, though.

Hi, I'm new here. Outpatient surgery scheduled for Aug 8th. Just bought a 20 inch (chair height) toilet for comfort and was wondering what I will need from all of you for my first few days home. I'm a bit nervous as it's outpatient, but I've been reassured that it's what they do here in Florida (or my doctor does anyway). I have a walk in shower, what will I need. I know I need a walker but what else? Hoping the 20 inch tall toilet will avoid the commode.

2 weeks post op today!

Managed to sleep in my real bed last night instead of the recliner. Getting to the point where I can reliably get *out* of bed too (it’s rather low).

Also used the actual normal-height toilet seat today instead of the riser. Good stuff. Still gonna use the toilet seat thing as a shower seat for a while tho.

Tapering off the last few Percocet the next couple days, we’ll see how that goes.

Wow:xmark: You’re doing great. Sleeping in bed, regular height toilet, tapering off meds, all great milestones along the way.
Happy Two Week Anniversary!
@cold_brew

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie