Bilateral THR Cold-brew's Big Bilateral THR Adventure

cold_brew

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone and a special shout out to the other folks doing this thing the week of 7/11!

Woke up about 12h ago and I’m feeling good pain wise. Fortunately tolerating anesthesia and pain meds well, no nausea.

Got up and walked about 12 inches in the walker before bed. Sleeping not super great just bc light sleeper and every time I doze the leg squeezer kicks in.

Overall though feeling great though I suppose the hardest part is still ahead…

“Nurse’s log, 2022-07-11 21:00 - patient flatulated” is now in the computer on my permanent record. :p

Cheers to Ocean and @Poodles my surgery day buddies
@Sophies2 Best Wishes today to you and @CB1018
@llurbs Will be watching for you two on the Recovery side soon @gavinmac
@Kalee R Wishing you the best on Thursday, good luck! @Cherylb

Multiple tagging is innocent enough, but when clumped together as opposed to broken up it’s against forum rules, which isn’t always common knowledge. Following is a reminder article for all who read here. Staff has edited the placement of tags above.
HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and Welcome to Recovery! Congrats on your new hip.
It sounds like you’re off to a great start. Woohoo on testing the ol leg out with the walk you just took. Pretty cool, huh?!!

If you notice I had to remove the multiple tags above. I’m so sorry, they’re not allowed on the forum. You can tag multiple people in a post, just not clumped together as you did. I see Ocean has already stopped by so removing hers is no big deal and if you don’t mind, I’ll edit your post, reconfiguring the tags as an example of what I am explaining IS allowed.

Here are the Recovery Guidelines with Best Wishes for your comfort as you begin healing. Stop by often, we’d love to follow your healing journey and support you along the way. :)

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

You’re welcome! No worries. I feel bad because it took you a little time to do that I’m guessing. As far as reading forum rules, I didn’t join until the night before my surgery and I don’t think I looked at any forum rules for months! You’re off to a good start. I’m happy for you. Stay in touch and safe travels home!
@cold_brew

Went up and down a step-aerobic step a few times with the PT this afternoon as a warm up to ‘real’ stairs tomorrow. Tough but doable! (I have to get up 8 steps to get into my home…San Francisco, just the way it is…).

Blood pressure is a bit low too so it looks like night #2 in the hospital is the plan.

Guess the bilaterals are fairly rare. Everyone seems surprised when they find out

Sounds like you are doing amazing! Wish they were doing both of mine tomorrow but I’ve waited this long. Keep updating us!

You seem to be doing well. I haven’t tried stairs yet because of the low blood pressure yesterday. I’m waiting for the physio to clear me, then an X-ray and home today.
I hope you keep making progress today so that you can go home as soon as possible.

:wave:@cold_brew
Glad to see you on The Healing Side.
I did 2 nights myself, partly due to some BP issues... and honestly was a little nervous for them to release me to the care of my dear hubby as I was unsure of his "nurturing " abilities.
It was so nice to get home where it was easier to get comfy and rest and ice.:ice:
“Nurse’s log, 2022-07-11 21:00 - patient flatulated” is now in the computer on my permanent record. :p
:rotfl: Good to know they are being attentive and thorough in their record-keeping.

Guess the bilaterals are fairly rare. Everyone seems surprised when they find out
Oh, it started pre-op and continues today.
"Both at Once!?!" is your new moniker, my double hippy pal!
:chuckmarch:

Slow and easy is the way to do this... and those new hips will serve you well.
I am 5 years post BTHR and am still a grateful double hippy.:loveshwr:

Last BP measurement is a little higher, nice. Maybe we can go home today if I can muster a poop

Bilaterals are rare, good luck with your recovery. I am not sure if my surgeon would have done both at the same time, but I think I would have been too worried about the recovery time. What approach did you have?

I am right there with you on the leg squeezers, super annoying.

Bilaterals are rare, good luck with your recovery. I am not sure if my surgeon would have done both at the same time, but I think I would have been too worried about the recovery time. What approach did you have?

Anterior approach. Glad I’m getting both over with but yeah it’s at the limit of my upper body and core strength

They probably think like most of us do. Wow…brave soul, wish I felt I‘d have the courage to do that if I needed hip replacements.

I commend you. Most people’s first thought is how do you do anything with two bad legs? Which goes up and down the stairs first, on which side do you use the cane etc. Obviously the benefit is one and done. One anesthesia, one recovery. If you haven’t already, for reassurance, read through some of the other bilateral threads Here and see how well they do. You will too!

Enjoy being back home and have a peaceful afternoon and evening!
@cold_brew

Also i’d like to mention my awesome Kiziks shoes (Picked out by my wife, for the record).

They look and feel like running shoes but the heel side is springy so you can just slip them on without bending over. My PT and OT are big fans now!

Anterior approach. Glad I’m getting both over with but yeah it’s at the limit of my upper body and core strength
I also had bilateral, anterior approach, nearly 8 weeks ago. Upper body strength, and strong legs and thighs definitely help in recovery. I’ve been doing excercises for years, including men’s push-ups for many years. I haven’t had any problems recovering from a bilateral. My surgeon’s PA said that he would never agree to a bilateral unless he was certain they could recover from it well.

Your OS knew you are a good candidate for a bilateral so have confidence in him, and yourself!

So great to sleep at home last night even though it was in the recliner. First home PT coming up soon.

Getting stronger with the walker, can now walk slowly in a continuous ‘slide’ for a short stretches instead of stop/starting with tons of weight on the walker.

Good thing there’s Tour De France on to pass a couple hours when I wake up early!

Where’s the “TMI” tag but: finally passed the “first post op poop” milestone this afternoon. The suspense was definitely starting to build esp with the medical folks. Feels like an accomplishment…!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom