• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR Hello everyone

Roger71

Country
United States United States
I’m glad I found this site; wish I found it sooner! I am currently 1 week post right TKR. My pain is fairly well controlled but I’m surprised at how stiff the muscles in my leg are. Particularly the quad. I think I’m doing well so far. I’m able to walk around the house without a cane, but need it for longer distances. I’m fining there is a delicate balance between exercise and rest. The more I do, the more the swelling increases. I’m nervous about getting the range of of motion back, and not losing too much strength. Looking forward to sharing my experience and learning from everyone on this site.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and Welcome!

I’m fining there is a delicate balance between exercise and rest. The more I do, the more the swelling increases. I’m nervous about getting the range of of motion back, and not losing too much strength
It is swelling that makes bending difficult. Rest and just gentle movements for mobility are important so you can heal from this surgical assault.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Tykey

big-cheese
Hi, the pain in the quad is what sportsmen call a deadleg. It is caused by the use of a tourniquet during surgery. The quad muscle is crushed to a degree, and is left bruised
I'm 3 1/2 weeks out from my tkr, and this was probably the most annoying thing during early recovery.
The discomfort gradually reduces, it takes a couple of weeks before it stops being an issue.
Your experience with ROM, exercise and swelling is entirely normal. Please relax and be patient, if you try too hard, yes your swelling goes up and the bend is more difficult. The ROM is in there, just waiting for the swelling to disappear.
Good luck, be gentle to your poor knee

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Roger71 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
R

Roger71

Country
Hello @Roger71 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:
Right total knee replacement on 09/24/2019

Didot

Country
Australia Australia
Walking unaided after a week would have been a miracle for me... I needed a walker for weeks, unable to trust my new knee or find muscles to do it. Consider yourself lucky at this stage I reckon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luvcats

post-grad
Country
Welcome to the forums!

It's great that you're doing so well. I used my walker in the house about 2 weeks.

Dont worry about losing strength. Pushing now will just slow your progress. Let your leg rest and heal.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thank you for your surgery date, Roger. I've made your signature for you.

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I’m fining there is a delicate balance between exercise and rest. The more I do, the more the swelling increases
:thumb: You've cracked it. If you get swelling, back off. And then only increase in small amounts as swelling goes down. It takes awhile. Don't worry about losing strength, you can regain that later.

OP
OP
R

Roger71

Country
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks post surgery. For the most part, I’m happy with my progress. I’m walking without a cane, driving, and I can go upstairs normally. Down I’m still leading with the bad leg. My biggest complaint is sleep, or lack there of. I’m up every hour and a half or so with pain and stiffness. I take ibuprofen before bed, as well as melatonin. This hasn’t made much of a difference. I’m going to start CBD oil and see how that goes. I’m returning to work tomorrow (light duty), so it would be nice to finally get some sleep! Anyone have any advice on staying asleep?

sistersinhim

Country
Some people say melatonin helps them. Also, Benadryl. I used the generic sleeping aids from Walmart to help me. Still, for me sleeping was really bad, too.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I’m going to start CBD oil and see how that goes.
@Roger71
These are the BoneSmart guidelines for allowing discussion of CBD on the forum. Because BoneSmart is an international site, we have to be aware that there are countries where these products are not legal.
  • Is it the hemp-based CBD oil, without THC ? If so, you can tell us here about how it works for you.
  • If it also contains THC, unless it's the oil you only apply externally, it must be legal in the area where you are AND you have to be working with your doctor to use it
  • If you are going to be taking CBD (with or without THC) orally, you must be working with your doctor, because it can have interactions with other medications you may be taking.

I wish I could advise you about how to stay asleep. Sleep disturbance seems to be a very common problem after a knee replacement. We do have this article:
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Four years after my last TKR, I still have problems sleeping for more than 4 hours at a stretch.
I fall asleep in an armchair during the evening - and miss the TV programme I wanted to watch - and then I sleep from about 12: 30 to 4: 30 a.m. I get up soon after 5 in the morning, because lying in bed trying to sleep is so frustrating.
Still, I'll choose poor sleep and almost pain-free knees over good sleep and knees with bone-on-bone pain any day. It's a trade-off I can accept.

Tykey

big-cheese
I just accept it for what it is, stressing about it makes sleep less likely.
I think that sleeping all night isn't essential at this stage, I catch up during the day.
While I'm awake, I just listen to the radio, get Dr Phil on my tablet, or read.
Half or one hour later I've just nodded off
Hunger is an issue to sleeping, so it's not unknown for me to have a dose of jam Roly poly in the middle of the night.
I'm 6 weeks out now and walking good distances, if it's a nice night, I might wake the dogs up and go walkies.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Ah, @Tykey , it sounds as if jam roly-poly is a cure for everything. You could sell it. :rotfl:
(It reminds me of school dinners, though.)

jeffjob

Country
@Roger71 You really are doing well. I did really well (at least with my LTNR) this year but had the same issue with sleeping. I am a right sleeper so it did not take much discomfort to keep me awake.

Definitely try to not over-do during the day. Ice and elevate as the less the leg is stressed the more comfort you will have.

For my RTKR I had to take naps each day and the recovery was harder and I just could not get a full nights sleep. What did help is sleeping in a power recliner as needed.

I always like to sleep on my stomach with my right leg fully extended. That puts pressure on my right knee to straighten to 0. That was uncomfortable up until 3-4 months so sleep was interrupted.

Sorry to have no secret answers but the body needs to be comfortable to sleep well, unless you are like my wife that can sleep the anything, LOL!

Be well.

Macknit

senior
Country
Hmmmm I don't even know that product :chinstroke:?? I'm looking it up now! I'm assuming it's a yummy UK treat?

Macknit

senior
Country
Oh-oh...don't knock it until you've tried it right??? The description doesn't sound too good..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MollyUK
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom