Revised PKR to TKR pain back of knee

WHAT HAPPENED? I've been using the cane but have been out of the house thanks to a ride from my son , grocery store to pick up a few items along with another couple of stops.
This is what happened. It's way too early for you to be doing all these things. This is what you should be doing with a three-week old baby knee. Activity Progression of Daily Living

For the next few days or more, you'll need to rest, ice and elevate to get that pain and swelling down. Treat that knee like the newborn it is and the both of you will be much happier! :)

thank you for highlighting that I am very new in this recovery and much too impatient! I will read the activity progression and continue looking at others posts who are and have healed from knee surgery

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, havent been on for awhile. I had a small setback because there was an inflamed , raised area oozing some at the bottom of my incision line. It caused more swelling in general and impacted pt which needed to be cancelled for awhile. Dr put me on antibiotic for ten days. He thought it was a suture that somehow caused a reaction. He never did anything to remove the stitch and it seems better now far less tender. Just a little red and he feels it will resolve on its own from here.
I am starting pt on monday. Looking forward to it and hope they are gentle. I am about 6 weeks post op. My issue is that my knee still hurts, especially the inner aspect. I walk with a cane but it hurts to stand for very long. Walking also does not feel very good yet and no part of me desires to go for a long walk even though I love walking and being active. I am still taking strong pain med but they want me to wean off of it. Am still icing and elevating. What works for you at 6 weeks post op? I am frustrated that my comfort level is not better and the right knee wakes me up at night . Is this normal for my stage of recovery?

Everything you describe is normal. 6 weeks is early days in this year long recovery.

You don’t have to hope that your PT will be gentle, you can control the session and make sure they are.

I am starting pt on Monday. Looking forward to it and hope they are gentle.
You are the employer, PT is the employee and works for you so what you say they have to do. Take control and make sure everything you do is gentle. Don't take pain meds just for taking PT. You need to feel your pain. When it is painful then it's too soon for your knee to be doing what you are doing. Discomfort is OK, pain is not. Pain will probably set back your recovery, which you'll have to recover from before you can get back to the normal healing.

HELP! I hyperflexed my 61/2 week old right knee. Felt like I did my own muaIt really hurts alot! Somehow it happened while getting into a motorized shopping cart too quickly after standing up to pick out some strawberries. I am fearful to have caused a major setback, had been doing so well. Please comment and any tips for getting the knee feeling better, tendon or muscle inner aspect of thigh very tight and inner side of knee painful , bending is also harder

I am sorry you are hurting but it is time for back to basics. Ice and elevation and medication if you have any left. If you can take Tylenol you might want to take some. The ice and elevation will help deal with the swelling due to the hyper flexion. With a reduction in the swelling the joint will bend easier again.

The knee itself is very strong but all the tissue is disturbed again and needs some TLC.

I am sorry you are hurting but it is time for back to basics. Ice and elevation and medication if you have any left. If you can take Tylenol you might want to take some. The ice and elevation will help deal with the swelling due to the hyper flexion. With a reduction in the swelling the joint will bend easier again.

The knee itself is very strong but all the tissue is disturbed again and needs some TLC.

Thank you so much for your swift response. One has to be so careful when moving about. I have ine of the ice machines that get filled with frozen water bottles. I am glad you dont think that any great danage was done. It just hurts so much more. So glad that you are here leejaa. Have you ever done anything to give yourself a setback?

@aquamarine117 I did that same thing! Hurts bad in the moment, then calms then comes back later. Most definitely go back to week1 elevation and ice as advised.

I am officially 1 year out, still improving in stamina, ROM and ability to do "stuff". Hang in there!

Thanks so much for your response. I often think Im not doing very well and yet a stanger remarked how well the walking is going!. It made my day! We started talking and it turns out that her mom had a tkr a week ago. She said she will tell her mom about me walking with a cane at six weeks. This was before I hyperextended my knee. Some of the motorized shopping carts are spacious and others are very tight where one has to crouch and bend too much

I meant hyper flexed my knee. Thaanks for your kind words . They work wonders in helping me feel better

Glad you said that yoy are one year along and still improving. Patience is very hard with this operation. It would not be so difficult but 1 and 1/2 year ago I went through a patellofemoral knee surgery, a partial knee replacement that was nothing short of awful! Had many complications, effusions, another arthroscopy for meniscal tear and finally was referred to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in revisions. I am kind of really needing a good outcome this time

I did not give myself a huge set back but I did have to return to work early with my knees and that extended my recovery and it was tiring and difficult. Huge energy drain and I was worthless once I came home for a long time.

Concentrate on healing and slow progress. This cannot be rushed and takes time. Patience is needed. It is a major surgery even though it is so common these days and we are in and out of hospital so quickly. Our bodies know that they have had major trauma and need time to heal.

@aquamarine117, how are you doing now? Those accidents can be pretty unnerving. 3 weeks after my 2nd knee (which was also about 10 weeks after my 1st knee), one foot slipped down going down the stairs and ended up really super-flexing the 10 week old knee!! I was panicked. As others said, very painful and scary at first, a return to the basics, and still 8 years later, my knees are terrific!

Be well.

A forced bend like that has angered your soft tissues. Ice and elevation will be your best friends for about a week or so. Try to do just gentle movements until your knee is back where it was before your accident. Treat it like a baby cuz it still is!

I an 5 months post revision to rt total knee after failed partial 1 1/2 years ago. I am doing well but have tightness back of knee. Done with pt several months ago. I have full extention and maybe 120 flexion. What would you advise?

You probably have some inflammation behind your knee, try ice and elevation and see it it helps.
You are still early in this year+ recovery, your knee is still healing, it probably just needs time.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Last edited:
You are coming along fine. This s a slow recovery, as long as a full year, and you will continue to improve as you continue to heal.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back