TKR Hedie's recovery thread

Im only 3 weeks post surgery. Knee is still swollen. Pain is getting easier. I think she crazy if she thinks my leg will extended straight. When its not so swollen i can do more. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks she crazy.

My extension was 2 last week at my 8 week mark.My surgeon and my pt were happy with that ( and my bend finally at 108).
I am now done with pt and the surgeon, unless theres an issue.
Extension was really slow for me (by my standards) but pretty normal in this group, and in target by my PT and surgeon.
I think thats putting way too much pressure on you at 3 weeks!!

How do i upload picture of my leg?

Sorry to hear you had to go back to work so soon, I can't imagine doing that! Hope you are able to do lots of icing and elevating when you get home to help with the swelling.

Fri will be month post surgery. I start therpay thur we see how that goes. Pain is getting better hurts most at night, morning stiff for little bit. Swelling is showing off right now, needs to stop. My incision is closed. Finally took shower standing in the shower. Im so over this and just want it over with. I can walk a little with out a walker. I have been in pain for six months now, can not wait untill I'm not.

I know it feels like it's been a long time, but you are making progress! Doesn't it feel great to take a shower more or less normally? :thumb: More victories to come.

I did pt today for first time. It went very good. No pushing at all. They showed me the exercise told me do what I can. She measured my bend and its 75 but she said since I have not been having pt and the issue with my incision and medical problems. That is good bend for me. Doctor wants 3 times a week but the therapist thinks that will be to much for me, since Im all ready back at work and walking around house with out the walker and my medical problems. She only wants me doing twice a week starting out. The only part that hurt was putting my ankle on a pillow and letting my leg hang straight, but not to painful. Since I'm all ready walking with out the walker, she thinks in 2 weeks i can get rid of it. I want to do. I liked not being pushed to do things, it was at my comfort. After she iced my knee done before i left. Which felt so good. On positive note I can finally shave my left leg more. Before it hurt to do it. Now I have 2 shaved legs lol, at least up to my incision.

It sounds like you have a reasonable PT who is not just following a standard "script" but looking at your particular situation. I know they need to measure for their evaluation but it sounds like she's not obsessed with numbers which is good; and seems to advocate listening to the knee. :thumb: A good PT can be helpful; it's a very individual thing. If you find 2x/week to be too much you can always decrease the frequency. See how it goes.

Whats worse than a knee replacement. Trying to throw up with a knee replacement. Im sick and trying to bend over the toliet and not lose your balance is not easy.

I’m so sorry you’re sick! Thankfully I didn’t have to deal with that but I always wondered how I would manage it. I hope you feel better really soon!!

Oh no. Sick is not fun at the best of times, and this definitely is not. I hope it passes quickly.
:thud: :console2:

Thank you I'm finally feeling better. Does anyone else have a stiff knee when they wakeup? What do you do to help ease the stiffness? It is hard in the morning when I first wake up because its so stiff. When i get to work its little better.

Does anyone else have a stiff knee when they wakeup?
We all did. It’s par for the course. As you heal it will get better.

Walking it out will help with that morning stiffness. Everyone of us have had it. It's nothing to worry about in your early stage of recovery. It will lessen as time goes on. It was the last thing I complained about with my knee.

Stiff knee in the morning. Check!
I just sit on my bed before I get up and do a round of leg extensions. That seems to be enough to loosen things for me.

Yep, I remember needing the walker first thing in the morning for a little while even after I was on the cane otherwise.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom