TKR Hedie's recovery thread

One week post surgery this has been painful week. The pain is getting better. The muscle spasms at night are killing me. I go back to work tomorrow hopefully I'm not dying in pain at the end of the day. I sit behind a desk all day so that's good.

That's so soon to go back to work, hope you can ice and elevate behind your desk and take it easy. Sending good thoughts.

You are doing yourself a disservice going back to work, at only one week post op, especially since it’s been a painful week. It will increase your pain and swelling.

It took me months before I was comfortable sitting with my feet on the floor. Sitting at a desk is not as easy as you think.

Please have a back up plan if it doesn’t go well.

One week post surgery this has been painful week. The pain is getting better. The muscle spasms at night are killing me. I go back to work tomorrow hopefully I'm not dying in pain at the end of the day. I sit beyond a desk all day so thats good.
@Hedie.... why do you feel the need to go back to work after this short a period of time? This is not a good plan for you. You've had a rough week and being at a desk for hours at a time is not going to do you any favors. In fact, sitting with your leg down (even if you try and prop it up some) will put a lot of stress on your tender new knee. If it hurts now, it will hurt worse this time tomorrow after all that.

Have you discussed your return to work with your surgeon? Surely he or she didn't tell you that you'd be ready to return to work this early. Can you call and get a real recovery period for your knee from your employer? You should have at least 6 weeks....10 to 12 weeks would be better.

Usually you will see your surgeon again at 6 weeks and be given the okay to drive. I think you're going to find it a challenge just to get up in the morning, shower, dress and get to the job much less try to do any meaningful work. Your body is still recovering from the trauma of surgery.

One week post surgery this has been painful week. The pain is getting better. The muscle spasms at night are killing me. I go back to work tomorrow hopefully I'm not dying in pain at the end of the day. I sit beyond a desk all day so thats good.
Do you have to go back to work?? It is way to soon. You had major surgery. I wish you luck

I have to go back because I'm not getting paid being off work, I have bills to pay. I plan to elevate and ice. I never have to leave my seat, I have people that will go get me what I need. If I start hurting too much then I will leave early.

I wish I could stay home longer but that is not option for me. I drove a little today to see if I can do it, I was fine. I do not drive far to work. My surgeon is fine with it as long as I elevate and ice.

I’m very sorry to hear you don’t have a choice. :console2:

I strongly suggest that when you are home you do as little as possible. Rest, ice and elevate as much as you can when you’re not at work. Elevate all night. Don’t look at it like you’re doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best opportunity in which to heal.

Let your going to work be your only PT. You will get all the movement your knee needs in the activities it takes to get ready to go, get there, work, and get home again. You will not need reps of exercise at this early date on top of getting through your work week. If you want to you can always go to PT later, after you’ve recovered and healed and regained your strength, to fine tune anything you want.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Consider having groceries delivered, or at least order online and just go pick them up. Lots of stores are doing that now.

Please be careful. It truly is not in your best interest to go back to work in the present condition you are in. You really must take care of your knee when you are not at work, so you can have a good outcome.

It will be very difficult, but I get that we do what we must. I have to admit that I also think it's way too soon by weeks and weeks to try working, but I understand you must do what you have to do to pay the bills. Make sure to bring your ice to work, as you will definitely need it. I'd also think about taking Tylenol regularly for a while as it will help with the added pain you'll likely experience, and I'm assuming you're done with stronger pain meds. I'll tag @Josephine to advise you on taking Tylenol; doses, times, etc.

If possible, spend evenings and weekends resting, icing and elevating as much as possible. I remember going to see my OS a few days after I got home from the hospital, where I had stayed for a week after my surgery (so I was approx 10 days post-op). Just getting dressed and ready to go, then being driven to the hospital and wheeled in to his office, then back home after that, knocked me out for the rest of the day and night, so be prepared to be out for the count after work each day for quite some time to come.

Hedie,
This makes me so sad. No one should have to go back to work after a week. I know it is different across the countries, however if I did not have the great plan at work I do (12 weeks short term disability @ 66% pay) I would still have the option of going on sick leave EI (government funded Employment Insurance) which while less, is still income. Im sure you have checked everything out, but maybe there is a government option if you find you cant be at work yet. Im at 6 weeks and leery of going back at 12. Im sending lots of good wishes!

I understand creditors want their money.

I will be sending positive thoughts your way. Please leave early if you can daily.

Not only if it hurts.....just set a time and leave-every day. (8-2?)

Good luck.

It's upsetting to know you have to go to work after only one week of recovery. You will need to get up and walk about every hour or so. If you sit all day, then your pain will become worse along with your swelling. At lunch try to lay down and get your toes above your nose with ice on it. My prayers are with you. Please let us know how you're getting along.

@Hedie I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op for the second time after saying very emphatically at 8 weeks the first time, “I AIN’T doin’ this again, I don’t care how bad the other one is”. If I read it right, this is your third day post-op. When my surgeon visited me after the first one, he said, “You’ve got a couple of rough weeks ahead of you”. Turned out to be quite true. However, it was made even rougher by the fact that I had no idea what a major surgery I had just gone through, and almost no clue what to expect during the recovery.

And you probably were not prepared any better than most of us were.).

I would like to take a few people out back to the woodshed and give them a whooping! [emoji78]

First would be the orthopedic outfits that feature 56 year old Dave boulder hopping in some wilderness area with his daypack only 3 months after his surgery.

Then would come the athletes who endorse some razzle dazzle implants that promise results far better than the norm. Finally I’ll add all those well meaning but totally ignorant people who tell you about their aging Aunt Martha who went on a 10 day SALSA DANCING CRUISE three weeks after her surgery and had no problems. Or uncle Gustov who played 18 holes of golf walking the entire course just 2 months after his surgery.

These stories are not close to the norm.

It’s a painful brutal surgery. But, IMHO, very worth it.

Last edited:
I have to go back because I'm not getting paid being off work, I have bills to pay. I plan to elevate and ice. I never have to leave my seat, i have people that will go get me what i need. If I start hurting to much then I will leave early. I wish I could stay home longer but that is not option for me. I drove a little today to see if I can do it, i was fine. I do not drive far to work. My surgeon is fine with it as long as i elevate and ice.
Hedie, I am sorry to hear this is your situation. I do hope your employer realizes that you are not going to be 100% at work as you're still recovering. I pray you have understanding supervisors at your job. Not knowing what type of work you do, is there a way for you to work from home for a while?

I am glad you'll be able to drive yourself and leave if things get too painful. You may need to do that. Please let us know how things go.

Unfortunately, workers have fewer rights in the US than they do in other countries.

In any case, 1 week seems unthinkable following a total knee replacement. Obviously I'm much older, but it is still a major surgery! It's not like having your tonsils removed. I'm sure you've explored all your options, but in case you haven't, ask your boss if you can borrow PTO from the future (assuming you have exhausted your leave for this year already) or if you can at least get some flexibility with your hours.

Do try to get up and walk for a minute or so here and there. Sitting is not easy after tkr and it's not always easy to elevate at work. :console2:

:console2: Thinking of you tonight @Hedie and imagining you are resting already. Please know our healing thoughts and good wishes are with you on this journey. Hugs, Zann

A lot of us are thinking of you tonight. :console2:

Can you check out to see if you can get Social Security Insurance, (SSI)? It would take a while to get qualified, but they pay would be retro. I imagine your OS would have no problem recommending it.

Oh yikes, I can't imagine going back to work!! I'm praying for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562