TKR heavy feeling

loofah

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone, just joined the group. In Nov. it will be one year of my tkr. Just started noticing some problems, knee feels real heavy when I try to lift it up also some cracking sounds. Going to make an appt. with my dr. hopefully he will take some x-rays just do not want to be told I need surgery again.

@loofah
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

Just started noticing some problems, knee feels real heavy when I try to lift it
Sometimes legs feel heavy post surgery, or if a person becomes deconditioned.
some cracking sounds.
If they do not hurt, it is probably the normal noises our knees make. Here is a link for more information.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
Glad you will be making an appointment with your surgeon to get to the bottom of why your leg feels heavy.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, everyone gets a copy. The articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to Bonesmart! I hope everything with your knee is OK.

thank you, I feel like something is not right. Making an appt. next week.

I think that's a good decision. You know your knee better than anyone else.

Had tkr 2yrs, ago now I have pain & a heavy feeling in the area of the top of the knee. Mostly when I move around. Has anyone else experienced this? I am worried something came apart.

Hello and welcome to bonesmart. Would you please let us know the date of your surgery so we can create a signature for you as it will help with offering advice.

I personally have not experienced anything like this. Have you started a new activity or done something for a longer period such as a longer walk that is stressing your leg in a new way? Sometimes we do not realize what we have been doing till we hurt.

If you are really worried, you might want to see your physician or surgeon and ask their opinion and get an x-ray to see what is going on. Peace of mind is worth a doctor visit sometimes.

@loofah
Sorry you are having continuing problems with your knee feeling heavy.
Your earlier thread related to what is happening today and I have merged them for you.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Last edited:
it is unlikely that anything is coming apart, see your surgeon for a check up.
In addition to seeing your surgeon suggest that you seek a second opinion for your TKR, from a surgeon specializing in Revisions. They have the education and background to determine what is happening with troubled knees. Look for a surgeon specializing in complex joint reconstruction or revisions. They should have no relationship with your present OS, not even golf buddies.

surgery date was Nov 21, 2018

Thank you,
Your surgery date has been added to your signature.

Sorry to hear this. Hope it us nothing serious.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom