Bilateral TKR Heavy Exercise - How Much Is Too Much??

TiIngot

Country
United States United States
I had both knees replaced on the same day in February eight years ago at age 64. Before surgery I was slightly over weight, very active and had a positive mind set. However my knees were really slowing me down and affecting the quality of my life. After surgery I attacked the rehab process and was walking without a cane in two weeks, driving in three weeks and back golfing in April. It took a little over a year to actually not think about my knees anymore.

This winter approaching 72 I have stepped it you a couple notches and use my Silver Sneakers at the YMCA three days a week. I'm not doing water aerobics or yoga classes but participate in swimming pool laps and boxing style hi-impact workout classes. By far, I am the oldest in the class. The hour and a half classes put a lot of emphasis on the legs and knees. No running but a lot of squatting with medicine balls or small weights, jumping rope, rubber band/shoulder squats, etc. Also on nice days I walk a mile or so.

Before starting my new workouts I visited a heart doctor and had a stress test passing it with no problems. Blood pressure is under 130/80, resting pulse just over 60 and extreme workouts the pulse kicks up to 135.

From these workouts I have some aching in the ankles, knees and arms. I expect some new aches but wonder if it is possible to over exert these artificial knees. Current knee aches radiates from above the knee cap. Notice I am choosing to use the word ache instead of pain. To me, if I have knee pain I am limping. Knee aches means I feel the aches but I does not affect my motion.

So, can I wear these artificial knees out? If I push it too far, what kind of pain will I experience? What part of the knee will the pain radiate from? How do I know I am exercising in the wrong way? What can I expect from these knees 10 to 15 years from now?

Hi, you sound very much like me! I think your knees are telling you that what you are doing might be a bit too much. My 10 year old knee is brilliant, but when I do excessive exercise it still gets stiff and aches, as you describe. I'm 72 as well, and have accepted with good grace I won't ever again be the energetic, strapping, over the top youth I once was. It's what it is, the TKR transformed my life, and have adapted to it. I cut out all the high impact things, and accept the aches and pains from other parts as well as my knees.
How long will it last? If we are careful, it will see my time out before some other problem pushes me off my perch. But if I consistently abuse it, it might not. Realistically, if treated with care, a total life of 25 years is probably a good estimate.
It's a question of balance.
Good luck.

:welome: to BoneSmart

So, can I wear these artificial knees out?
Probably not. They are very strong.

High impact is supposedly implicated in breaking the glue that holds the knee in. My sport is cycling, very low impact on knees. Swimming is good too. I personally wouldn't do high impact stuff, but what the heck you can't let knees rule your life.

Last edited:
How's about that. I am just about to read Brave New World...

Re. TKR I'm erring on caution, as anything made by man is subject to change and age - just as we are. My former life did not consist of high-impact so little will change.

Peddling, and swimming are low-impact and health affirming.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks