Heart Defect

Status
Not open for further replies.

rerodriguez

senior
I had my pre-op appointment yesterday, and my blood oxygen saturation level was low, so they sent me for an echocardiogram. It showed that I have a congenital heart defect called patent ductus arteriosus. I'm going to see a cardiologist on Monday afternoon. This may or may not delay my hip surgery. I'll just have to wait and see what the cardiologist says and what the internist recommends. I'm still processing this new information.

Rebecca, I'm sorry that you have something new to handle at this time. At least you don't have a long wait before you see the cardiologist, but it probably seems long to you. Let us know what you find out on Monday. Good luck. Judy

Rebecca

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. it must be a shock. I hope that everything works out. Please let us know how you are doing.

MCB

Otherwise known as "a hole in the heart", more commonly associated with babies. But sometimes it's so tiny it escapes diagnosis, therefore giving a reasonable assumption it was symptomless. I'd say that if it has never caused you a problem in 42 years, it's unlikely to be an issue now.

Rebecca, I know it's tough to have something like this pop up, but it may be nothing that will interfere with your surgery. Please let us know how things go. You are in my prayers!

Aw Rebecca, sounds like what I just went through. This kind of surprise is not welcome! But as Jo says, it may not interfere with your op. They always like to double check these things prior to any op.

I am sending you lots of positive vibes! Let us know how it goes on Monday!

The hospital I used was essentially only doing joints and hips. They could not take patients with heart conditions, because they didn't have any ICU units at that time. (Just in case)

In my case you would have had to go to a fully fledged hospital with both facilities.

I hope it doesn't cause any delay though

Good luck.

That's very true. Where did you get all this knowledge from, Tykey? You're not a doctor or nurse in plain clothes, are you? :whis:

No, I only wear my nurse's uniform around the house in private:blush:

I just read a lot and ask a lot of questions:thmb:. I asked so many questions in hospital, that I reckon they got fed up of me and chucked me out after only 2 days.

That comes from being in Research and Development for 35 years-- and I'm not a real boffin though:hehe:

Boffin enough. I hope you stick around - you cheer my day tremendously. Others' as well, I have no doubt!

No, I only wear my nurse's uniform around the house in private:blush:

I'm leaving that one well and truly alone...............! :skp:

I agree with Jo - you brighten up my day with your humour Tykey! I look forward to reading your posts! :thmb:

Hi Rebecca
Oh I hope and pray all goes well for you at your appointment on Monday. It must be shocking to find out something like this that has gone undected for so many years.... Big cyber hugs to you :cnsl:

Tykey, I sure would like to see a pic of you in your nurses gear:hehe: ... (I'm sure others here would too)... and somehow I just know it's not the baggy scrubs you are talking about:D

I was going to respond to that but no no! We mustn't derail Rebecca's thread. Not fair.

Thank you all for the support. I, too, would like to see a photo of Tykey's nurse outfit.

I think the internist's concern was that my oxygen saturation level was 90, which she said was too low for my age and health. I am very happy that they found this problem before my surgery, and it actually explains a number of issues I've had over the years, like shortness of breath, low energy, and difficulty recovering from previous surgeries that used general anesthesia. I had dismissed these symptoms and others -- just thought that was how I was.

Thanks again!

I saw the cardiologist, and she thinks I am fine to go ahead with the surgery. She wants me to get one more test, an arterial blood gas test, just to be sure. I should get a call tomorrow to schedule that. The patent ductus arteriosus is very tiny, and she could not hear it, so nothing needs to be done about that. Thank goodness!

I may still have to reschedule the surgery because the year for our insurance deductibles and out of pocket maximums ends on June 30, and I will still be in the hospital when the new period starts on July 1. I will call the hospital tomorrow to see how they will bill things. The surgery may need to happen in July if the surgeon has an opening.

:jump:Such good news Rebecca! So glad you can go ahead with your op. But sorry you have to juggle the dates to satisfy the insurance.

Let us know what your surgeon says!

I saw the cardiologist, and she thinks I am fine to go ahead with the surgery. The patent ductus arteriosus is very tiny, and she could not hear it, so nothing needs to be done about that.

So what did I say? :thmb:

But sometimes it's so tiny it escapes diagnosis, therefore giving a reasonable assumption it was symptomless. I'd say that if it has never caused you a problem in 42 years, it's unlikely to be an issue now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back