THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

I felt much like you in that I had good days. Or while sitting, I wouldn't know that my hip was bone on bone.
I rarely took pain relievers, mainly because I detest them, but also didn't feel I really needed to. In all honesty, I think the chatter is what moves most of us to schedule the surgery. We have the facts, we understand surgery is inevitable and our only hope at getting life back as we knew it before our hip started to deteriorate.
The vascilating back and forth reaches a point of ENOUGH! :gaah: At least that's how it played out for me. One day I decided I'd had enough ruminating over it constantly and scheduled it. I told myself that when it gets closer if I decide to cancel, I can. But I never did. The closer it came, the more I wanted it behind me so I could move forward. My husband was even shocked when I called him at work to tell him I scheduled the surgery. He said YOU DID, in total disbelief. I struggled with it myself, never letting on much because I already knew what he and my adult children thought I should do. I simply wasn't ready....until I was.

My best advice is pick the time of year you find most appealing for recovery and schedule it for then.

Love the fact that you are dancing again! It was so lovely meeting you in person and sorry we didn’t get the chance to meet up again before you flew back. Hopefully we can meet up again next year.

@SurreyGirl , it was great to meet up with you. I'm squirreling away my air miles for another May trip next year, so we can plan another meetup. Except of course if I am recovering from surgery in May...that's if I wait until next spring for the op--so, no! better not book the op for spring--I should have surgery this winter....yes!.... hmmm ...no.. I'll put off the next THR until after my next UK trip--but what if I'm in terrible pain by then? etc, etc, lather, rinse, repeat....

I'm sure that many on this board have gone through those same cycling ruminations.

Hi @An54
Wondering how you're doing and how Lefty is holding out these days?
With any luck you have some mileage left, but if not, I hope you have it taken care of soon. Going4Fun has been dancing up a storm. Hopefully you've had some good times on the dance floor over the Summer and Fall also. Leave an update next time you're on the forum, we'd love to hear how you're doing.
Until then....all the best!

Dear Layla, thanks for asking about old leftie. The last time I gave an update here I was just on the verge of booking an appointment with my family doctor to get the ball rolling again for hip #2. But soon after, everything felt okay. I was fine, no pain, no disability, and all proceeded normally for weeks and weeks. I was walking and dancing, and living a normal life.

Then in Sept both legs started getting very stiff, and it was painful to walk. I could feel every step I took . This was pain and rigidity/stiffness in my muscles, not joints. I was really hobbling. The “good” right leg was as bad as the un-operated one. It occurred to me that just because I have osteo-arthritic hips doesn’t preclude me from having a concurrent problem in my muscles. In fact it seems to me if you have one thing wrong, the odds of having a second problem might be even higher, as everything is connected.

So as I was hobbling painfully around day after day, my imagination roamed over various scenarios. Knowing nothing about medicine didn't stop me from self-diagnosing, and wondering if I had something like late onset MS triggered by decades of inflammation brought in by undiagnosed celiac disease. ( if there is such a thing)

I also wondered if the stiffness and pain was due to a lack of exercise after a particularly sedentary week . So I decided to increase my exercise and see if that helped . I kept walking ( 10,000 to 15,000 steps a day) through the pain. I started keeping a daily log to try to figure out if there was a pattern. After a week or two I started walking comfortably again. Then, after some time, the pain and stiffness returned. It comes and goes, and I have no idea why.

If it were just pain in un-operated Leftie, I would chalk it up to the decayed hip joint; but both legs are affected equally, and it’s pain and rigidity in the muscles, especially the thighs, and running down around the knees sometimes in flares of rigidity, and then sometimes right down the legs to my ankles.

At the moment I am fine again— completely normal. While walking , I can even stride along, free and easy; I can walk without thinking about it, rather than “ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch, etc” for 10,000 steps in a row. Last Wednesday I was dancing up a storm, but the Wednesday before that I was too disabled with rigid legs to do so. It’s all very weird.

I hope my BoneSmart buddies are doing well. Time for me to catch up on the forum posts.

Hi @An54
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this ongoing situation even though you have times of respite from the symptoms. Because you can't really trace it to any particular activity and it comes and goes, maybe you should consider making an appointment with your Primary Care Physician. I'm assuming you're probably feeling a bit anxious not knowing the reason for the symptoms and hopefully your physician could rule out any of the causes you've feared. It's the only way to know what you're dealing with and how to proceed.
I hate to think of you worrying about when it may happen again.
You know we're here for you if you need us. Please check back soon. It was nice to hear from you.
Sending a hug your way.

:wave: Good to see you on the forum.

Hope the mystery is solved or just disappears entirely:fingersx:

Hope your holidays are pain free and happy.

Hi @An54
I passed your avatar on the forum today and re-read your last post. I hope you had a nice
Christmas and you’re enjoying the New Year so far. With any luck, Lefty, is still hanging in there and you’re enjoying life. If you get a notification and feel like updating, we’d love to hear from you.
Wishing you a lovely Spring! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back