TKR Hawkie's 2nd Knee

Hawkie isn’t it just crazy how little things set us back. I was only celebrating yesterday how much easier my knee felt walking & with less pain, did nothing out of the ordinary throughout the day, but could not get comfortable when trying to sleep last night & woke up with a sorer stiffer knee this morning. Elevate, ice & rest today. WHY I ask :beg:

Keep on moving forward. The solution might not be less beer….maybe more?? :).
Love the way you’re managing your own recovery. Keep after it.

Slow and steady wins the race. Often seems like one step forward, two steps back. Keep on keeping on and one day this will all be a distant memory,

You are also back working so you're doing more than most plus throwing down with a "from scratch" dinner is adding or in this case subtracting.
This just made me smile. Sometimes it requires a different perspective to make me realize what I've just accomplished. btw, the chicken and dumplings were truly inspired and I can't wait to repeat the meal tonight.

Instead of ice, which was in my office, I used the heating pad last night. I didn't saran wrap The Knee. I massaged in some transdermal pain lotion, waited a few then used the heat. It felt good, I woke in less pain and was able to flex well enough to complete my bed yoga practice, tidy the bathroom, shower and start work. No more strenuous (wihch means something very different - lol) activity for me today though I may try a short walk outside later on this beautiful fall day if The Knee permits.

Hawkie isn’t it just crazy how little things set us back.
Indeed! Hang in there. As @Sisterpat said, these challenging days will soon be a distant memory.

You're making me hungry for chicken and dumplings..... today's dinner is homemade minestrone soup. Lots of veggie chopping and I've got to cook the chicken first too. Glad I bought pre-chopped butternut squash!

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but I bought a C shaped body pillow when I had my PKR and I’ve been using it on this one. It is really helpful for side sleepers. I didn’t sleep through night until about week 5-6 on my PKR but have actually slept well through night since about week 3 on this TKR. It is my saving grace!

I may have to push beer further into the future, because although I slept fine, I woke in more pain than usual.

I am sooooo craving a glass of wine with dinner, but have avoided it for the same reason.

Wine drinker here.... I've been having it for the past month or so and the first few glasses totally wiped me out! Since most of my fatigue is gone now it doesn't affect me as greatly. Doesn't seem to cause any extra pain issues (that I know of).

I've had a couple ounces of wine during the recovery when I have something that cries for wine, like that beautiful tbone or delicious lasagna. During pandemic and pre-op, I practically had my wine on pre-order - lol. On Saturday, we had lunch and tried some delicious beers (I had mine 4 oz at a time) at a local brewpub. We ordered crowlers with a C (about 32 ounces tapped into a can) but received growlers with a G (1/2 gallon in bottles that don't keep as well). We invited neighbors to help us finish them, such fun. I do love beer, used to brew my own, but also enjoy a good red wine. Both will have to wait a while because my sensitive stomach can't handle NSAIDs, tylenol and alcohol together.

I've been in a bit more pain this week in the evening and at night, so have to roll back my activities for a few days. Today will be a quiet day, I'm not even working in my office because I think that position all day may be adding to the extra pains. My flex and extension are still pretty good, actually I'm loving my flex and the pain when I fully extend is greatly reduced. I'll do a few heel slides and extension stretches but that's it for today.

@hawk2go As soon as I went off the pain meds, I resumed my daily glass of wine with dinner. Fortunately my stomach isn’t very sensitive. I’ve been working last 2 weeks but not at my desk. I find it too hard to get up. Can’t rely on rolling desk chair for help. I find that I can be productive from my recliner or even bed. Lol.

I find that I can be productive from my recliner or even bed.
I can't get comfy in bed long enough to focus on work, even with my portable laptop desk and tv pillow. I haven't tried the recliner but I watch TV for a few hours at time fairly comfortably changing positions a lot.

I've been in a bit more pain this week in the evening and at night, so have to roll back my activities for a few days

@hawk2go You are setting an example I need to follow. My pain level has been up the past few days, but I've been trying to push through. I need to listen to my body better, so thanks for the good example.

portable laptop desk and tv pillow

I bought a laptop desk (with legs) and one of those backrest pillows prior to surgery and I've never used them. :no-fin: I've just been using my old lap desk with a beanbag type cushion on the bottom for laptop use on the couch. I never really spent much time lying in bed with this knee but moved to the family room reclining couch pretty quickly. With the first knee I had a CPM machine so spent a lot of time lying on the bed. I'll have to pass those two items along to someone else who can use them.

Red wine is my favorite too. I used to be a beer drinker when I was younger (hubby still is) and we brewed our own beer a few times when we were first married. Hubby just mentioned yesterday he'd like to try it again when he retires. We've got some of those glass growler bottles in the garage and yes, they are hard to finish before they go flat without help! I haven't heard of a "c"rowler, it sounds much more doable. I discovered red wine in my early 40s and I haven't looked back!! My daughter loves it too as you can see in my profile pic (we are at a winery).

@Susie-Q, you started talking about wine and beer and I had to check your location. :) I was in planning mode for a meet-up. Portland/Seattle/Vancouver BC was my last trip in 2019. I'm happy for that. Google "crowler", if you have a decent brewery in your neighborhood, you will be hubby's best friend. They keep longer, are a lot less intimidating and what beer lover doesn't love a fresh tapped beer.

@benne68, we're all learning together. It's tough for me to listen to my body when the reaction is so delayed. In the pre-op days, I knew immediately that I should try to avoid that ramp going down - pain right away. Nowadays, I do 8 activities after the challenging thing and only find out a day or 2 later that I overdid it.

the reaction is so delayed. In the pre-op days, I knew immediately that I should try to avoid that ramp going down - pain right away. Nowadays, I do 8 activities after the challenging thing and only find out a day or 2 later that I overdid it.

Yes! And sometimes, it's hard to figure out what the "no-no" was. I went to PT this morning and then did a half-mile walk. Everything felt fine until about 15 minutes ago, when The Knee started complaining. Elevating and icing now, but have no idea which of the things I did provoked it.

Hey Hawk what are you using i may need to try this.
Beer is good. I did a couple of shots before bed last week and slept like a baby:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Hahahaha. I sleep like a baby after a beer, too - up every 3 hours.

Dr. Solomon's Rescue is what I use for topical pain. It's a medical marijuana product. You cannot get high when THC is applied through the skin in the recommended dose and it really helps with local pain, temporarily. I use it when I need time for oral pain meds to kick in or just need a moisturizer for The Knee.

Well that sux. No thc or such as im in a factory setting. Thanks for the reply.

Booger

Shame, it's the fasting working topical pain relievers I've used.

Nowadays, I do 8 activities after the challenging thing and only find out a day or 2 later that I overdid it.

This is what happened to me with The Hip. I have no idea what I did and can only surmise it was one thing too many. It's impossible for me to sit still and do nothing so I'm not letting it heal properly. :no-fin:

The hubby loves his microbrews and we live in a good area for them. Problem is we've both been trying to eat/drink better by adopting a low carb eating plan. We both lost a bunch of weight in 2018-2019. We did pretty well keeping most of it off during the pandemic but now it's starting to creep back in. Hubby's not drinking only his low carb beers anymore and our eating habits have slid back, big time. We need to get back on the wagon and now the holidays are here so :bored:.
I was in planning mode for a meet-up.
That would be so awesome, I wish we lived closer!:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back