TKR Hawkie's 2nd Knee

I emphasized that my ROM changes throughout the day dependent on activities during the day, so we should not get excited if I regress some at the time of her measurement (it may not be my current best).

This is exactly why I think I have been "stuck" at 105 for a couple of weeks now. I'm doing more walking, ADLs and probably overdoing it a little, which is causing more swelling. She really pushed my knee last week and it barely got to 105 again. No PT this week so I'm hoping I see some improvement (although I'm also probably doing too much).

I emphasized that my ROM changes throughout the day dependent on activities during the day, so we should not get excited if I regress some at the time of her measurement (it may not be my current best).
I really like how you worded this!

at the time of her measurement (it may not be my current best)
We get so hung up on the number, and so does our medical team, its good to keep in mind that it does indeed vary throughout the day and depends on swelling/activity.

Two new achievements - 1) walking downstairs like an adult with the cane and 2) showering without the shower chair.

I have no pain walking downstairs using both legs but do have to be mindful of my form. If not thinking, I continue a hip swing that I developed pre-surgery that I don't want to persist so I'm careful to bend The Knee enough to drop to the next step without swinging my leg out to avoid the (non-existent) pain.

I have a tall claw foot soaking tub. It was great when I could easily get into and out of it, but that ain't now. My OT devised a way to get into and out of the tub using the shower chair and a long handled step stool. When I could not stand or balance for long, I used the chair to wash. I thought I'm standing and balancing better now, so let me try it. I can't yet wash my feet while standing in the shower but managed everything else and got out with a wonderful dismount that I would certainly give a 10 if I were scoring.

@hawk2go You are doing great, You have worked out what is best for you and are a good example of how to recuperate from a TKR. It's great that you're able to go up and downstairs like an adult. It took me a while longer to do that. I was afraid to even try. I used my PT sessions to practice with someone who would make sure i didn't fall.

Keep up the good work!

@hawk2go , you are a great example of how to recover from a TKR!!! You are doing so well, better than me in some areas and you're a week behind me.

It's funny, I can go up and down from side to side on a 5 inch step at PT but a regular 7 inch stair is still too much for me going down. I get a sharp pain when I try. My therapist said to try when I get to the bottom step, don't try when I first start going down. I'll try it today again but I don't think I'm ready yet.

We have a walk-in shower and a separate soaking tub. We have a plastic step stool in the shower that I use for washing my feet, although it's still hard to clean the bottom of my left foot with a wash cloth. I haven't used my soaking tub yet even though I got clearance from my OS that it was ok. I've got to make sure I can get in and out first without trouble.

I was afraid to even try.
Yeah, I realized last week that fear was stopping me from trying, not capability. The work it took to get past what was going on between my ears was far greater than any amount of stairs.

My therapist said to try when I get to the bottom step, don't try when I first start going down.
I tried that last week. It was like I was about to jump off a tall building. It took several treks downstairs before I actually made it happen, that one step.

Like @newlybionic said "You have worked out what is best for you". I'm working on it and chronicling here so that remember my journey.

So as not to rejoin the ODIC, I'll switch days to include one session of walking, yoga or stay-biking.
This was Monday. So, 2 days later on Wednesday, I decided to do my yoga in the morning and take a walk in my new sneakers in the afternoon. The evening was tough and the night was tougher. I should follow my own darned plans. I'll be over here, hanging my head in the ODIC corner.

otoh, my new sneakers feel great. I noticed some foot pain while walking in the old sneaks and realized that the old sneakers might be forcing the old gait based on wear patterns. My thinking is that switching out will allow me to burn in a new steady (steadier) gait without the pre-surgery favoring and limp.

Last edited:
You and I seem to be living the same life. I noticed the other day after my first dog walk that my tennis shoe was rubbing my right heel weird and I ended up with a blister! Not sure why that is as I was wearing these shoes on walks prior to surgery. Last night's walk it bothered me again. I think it's time for some new shoes.....

Hanging my head in the ODIC corner too, completely self-inflicted....:umm: You'll see when you read my journal.

This is 6 months after my left TKR from my own BoneSmart post. I need this here as a reminder:
"After PT ended, I took the "no exercise" approach even though I had every intention to get back to the gym. A BTKR friend at work indicated that her doctor insists that she ride the bike every day so as not to lose ROM. I wanted to do this but found I was always too tired to pick it up. I just went about my daily routine, which was pretty extensive. It felt good to naturally improve, to be tired because I actually got stuff done. I added activity as I tolerated it and got stronger while also improving my ROM.

Next time around I'll definitely do less earlier so that I can do more sooner - maybe, every knee is different.
"

I've been having some weird general joint pain (different from the specific spots where I've had post-op flares) and some weakness in The Knee today. I've needed my cane in the house yesterday and today. I don't think I overdid on Sunday. I did my 1 mile walk (which continues to be comfortable) and visited with neighbors which required me to stand for ~15 minutes at a time. Yesterday I needed the full doses of tylenol and meloxicam to ease the pain. I cooked a quick dinner so I wouldn't have to stand long. Last night was fretful as I tossed and turned trying to take pressure of my sore knee, I didn't sleep much. Just a little whine (I'll go find some cheese).

I've had a lot of joint pain lately too but chalked it up to moving all my stuff from the house to the car, car to the retreat house, back to the car, etc. I had some hip and lower back pain prior to that from (I think) sleeping weird. That seems to have resolved itself since I now make sure to sleep with a pillow between my knees. Hopefully yours will resolve with some rest. Probably a little of the "overdo" from Sunday.... If you find some cheese to go with that whine (wine) let me know. :eyebrows:

This recovery is definitely a roller coaster ride @hawk2go. A little ice, elevation, and rest will put you back on the right track.

I've had a lot of joint pain lately too
I wonder if it's just where we are in recovery - stitches healed, tissues less angry, bone/tendons/ligaments still recovering. Maybe that intense spot pain was clouding the general joint pain. I'll keep the meds on board and keep the activity low today.
A little ice, elevation, and rest will put you back on the right track.
You're right. I'm on it.

It's official. I cancelled my PT sessions, the next 2 Fridays were scheduled. I will pick up PT elsewhere if I feel the need, since that program just didn't work for me.. Right now, when The Knee permits, I do my home exercises spaced out throughout the day and ADLs. I love my rocker exercise that I invented :heehee: - I sit in my rocker/recliner and get a good bend (sometimes I have to scoot forward) and I rock for several minutes. The rocking is soothing to me and the push allows me to flex and extend organically. My ROM is improving, even if I just gauge how far I can extend or flex without pain. Pain reduction/elimination for my normal activities is the only real gauge I need. I see my doctor for my 3 month checkup next month and I feel certain I'll pass whatever test he has for me. I don't think he has ever asked me how PT is going (he's been my guy since 2014).

I push myself, intentionally and slowly, testing limits each day. I'm getting stronger with stairs though I still use my cane up and down. My walks are getting easier though I've kept them at about 1 mile as I focus on form. I'm full time at work, so 8 or so hours sitting each day with breaks for cruising, kickouts and stretching. I take a couple tylenol 2-3 times a day and am at the end of my meloxicam but can sub an otc NSAID when they're done. Yesterday I peeled, cored and sliced 20 apples, getting ready for pies/crumbs/stew/etc. Then I prepared dinner. This morning I did my wake-up routine and am now sitting in my office working (ice machine working hard but quietly) while I listen to demolition and construction next door. Who needs an alarm clock when Philly allows construction to begin at 7am? Jackhammer noises are not for sissies (but neither is TKR).

Last edited:
I love your rocker exercises! I wish I had one. I've been trying stretching and flexing more while sitting since I don't think always extending my leg for comfort is doing me any good. I've been babying it so long that it's become a habit.

Our neighbors were jackhammering their patio the day after hubby and I got our second Covid vaccines (and feeling crappy) last spring. No, jackhammers aren't for sissies!

I got some Thirty48 Gliding Discs that make seated heel slides much easier. There's a side for smooth floors and for rugs. I think this may be my new favorite thing!:egypdance:

sit in my rocker/recliner and get a good bend (sometimes I have to scoot forward) and I rock for several minutes. The rocking is soothing to me and the push allows me to flex and extend organically. My ROM is improving,

This is brilliant! Going to try it today

I can't remember who made chicken and dumplings on the forum but I was inspired and totally threw it down tonight. Now I can hardly bend The Knee. Ugh. It was a very easy meal since I roasted the chicken when I had lunch earlier, so just had to chop a few veggies and mix up the dumpling dough. I clean as I go, so don't have much clean-up. I'll ice and elevate and hope I'm not punished tomorrow.

I know there was a point in my LTKR recovery where I could work a full day and do some normal things without jumping into the ODIC. Unfortunately, as that happened, I posted less. Maybe week 12????

Also, still fussing with my meds, trying to find the right balance. I totally missed them last night because I had a beer and didn't want to mix. I may have to push beer further into the future, because although I slept fine, I woke in more pain than usual.

Ugh, hope you won't be paying too much for your dinner labors tonight/tomorrow....It's always tough to find that balance. You are also back working so you're doing more than most plus throwing down with a "from scratch" dinner is adding or in this case subtracting. I hope you had just enough spoons left!! :fingersx::fingersx:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom