Lounge Doctor

TKR Hawkie's 2nd Knee

Susie-Q

graduate
Country
United States United States
It's funny that I typed that yesterday as my boss texted me last night and asked how my recovery was going. I told her going well just slow, as expected. I said I might be able to do some light-duty stuff in December but wasn't sure. My knee is in charge. She is very understanding and would never make me come back before I was ready, I just feel guilty because this is the busiest time of year leading up to Christmas and I know she's been short-staffed. I also know there's no way I could have waited to have surgery in January......

Susie-Q

graduate
Country
I should show her my X-rays. Then she can see all the metal parts going on in there. :eyebrows:

Jockette

Country
My husband had a disease that attacked his posture (among other things) He started PT and his PT wouldn’t take the time to look at his X-ray which would prove why he couldn‘t stand up straight like she told him to. Needless to say we didn’t stick with that PT for long. :hairpulling: She only cared about her protocol, not him.

sistersinhim

Country
I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. When I went for my 3 return checkups, all he wanted was to see what my knee would do and no measuring. Never one question about PT! Of course, he knew I was a single lady that had to take care of myself, so obviously he trusted that I would not be just laying around all the time.

After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need formal PT, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and not just sit around all day and night. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
My most consistent progress has been when I take it easy with the exercise, walk daily and increase my ADLs slowly.

I've written to my surgical team and my PT, hoping for a conversation to determine what's best for me (vs. the standard patient).
That was my best path to recovery as well, and I haven't heard from anyone here that took this approach and was unhappy with the results. Great idea to ask you medical team to address YOU not just another TKR patient.

Susie-Q

graduate
Country
Why do they teach that there is only this limited time to achieve your ROM? Even my PT, who is mostly pretty gentle, subscribes to this. She says you have to take advantage of the time when the (joint capsule, ligaments, tendons?) are elastic enough before they "set in" and won't move very well. This flies in the face of the many successful people on here who have achieved good ROM without PT or brutalizing stretches.

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

graduate
Country
I cancelled both PT sessions this week. I continued pampering The Knee, walking daily and ADLs. I'm out of oxy and my PA didn't want to address meds again until the aggressive PT was resolved. Well, I think I may have resolved it because I was able to do 10 mins on my semi-recumbent bike this morning, going round and round. I even pedaled for a bit backwards, so I feel the ROM is coming. I'll keep the rest of my activity today low level, so I can tell tomorrow if 10 mins was too much or just right, for now.

I'm on 2x440mg Aleve and 3x1000mg tylenol, though I have forgotten that mid-afternoon tylenol dose a few times this week. I've successfully returned to my 1:1 sleep tincture.

I'm very excited to have committed to make chili tomorrow - red beef and white chicken, if The Knee permits. Stay tuned ...

DogTiredKnees

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sounds like a positive day! I hope that you are able to make your chili tomorrow :)

Catalien45

Country
Hi again! That chili sounds Scrumptious!!( I’m a fellow foodie & love to cook, sure looking forward to getting in my kitchen again!). Well, I have had a Full day, PT first, then my first visit to my surgeon. I’m fortunate... my PT is Great... we have both used her before, most recently, my husband with a chronic shoulder problem. She works With you, is not aggressive. Reassures me, if something hurts, or seems too much, stop, & try it the next round, or even next day....listen to your body, pain doesn’t help the healing process. Years ago, I had bad back muscle spasms.... not sure just what she did, but worked Miracles! I generally try to avoid nsaids, had a very scary experience with bleeding ulcers several years back ( h.pylori, my not using the nsaids properly aggravated the situation). They still scare me.

Our PT is also only a 5 minute Drive from our house. We live in a small town north of Denver. Then my Dr appointment, a 30 minute drive. We had time to make a “pit stop” at home, then headed there. He was quite pleased with both my extension and rotation. (I believe 5 and 105 respectively ). AND.... said I no longer need to elevate my foot at night!!YAY! Looking forward to that Tonite!

As to sleeping....we had tried to move me upstairs to our bed. I just could Not get comfortable. The couch downstairs & futon in my sewing room have the “ends”...maybe a solution? Tried the futon, which meant my husband hauling a bunch of stuff upstairs....and I Stilll had lousy sleep, Wednesday the Worst! Maybe a Few hours total. Same for my better half... and, kitty. ( she felt it necessary to alternate between rooms...). Interesting enough, Thursday was a Good day..... Go figure. This Was my 2 week mark, the 2 weeks I’d been advised would be rough. It has been. Hopefully, I’m turning a small corner?- realistic enough to know there will be challenges ahead. We did stop at a Panera near the Dr’s office, drove thru, & had our sandwich & coffee outside, weather in the low 70’s, Perfect! They had tables for outside all around the building, so plenty of room to be distanced & safe. The drive home was a bit tough, I was squirmy, & anxious to get the ice back on. Being still, standing, or sitting, still hard. I noticed others commenting on that, & suggesting marching in place ☺Can’t wait to try that sometime when I can grocery shop again. Ironically, that’s one new activity I learned today in therapy.

Still working on rest, slow & steady, SO anxious to get in my kitchen & create! Fortunately, our garden was pretty well wrapped up before my Surgery ( cold nights), just a few tomatillos left, green tomatoes in a box inside & ripening nicely.

I am Impressed with your bike work!! She had me try the bike last session, & I could Barely get Part way down, then had to go back. It sounds like you are doing well on your own. . And I think you are determined, and maybe a fellow “ stubborn “. I think my husband & kids call it “ hard- headed“. But maybe an advantage in our current situation.

Do take care of yourself, you’re an inspiration to me, & I’m sure others. And can you take a few extra bites of that chili for me?

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

graduate
Country
Updates: 10 mins on the bike was perfect, for now. I made both chilis, without assistance, and they were delicious - spouse was humming and singing. I even squeezed in my 1 mile walk and went to the supermarket for avocados and cilantro after I took a brief rest from standing in and moving about the kitchen for just over an hour. Of course, I didn't factor in the constant up and down to check/stir/adjust but I iced in the evening.

I was able to finish a 15 min full body yoga practice designed to do in the bed yesterday morning, as my body permitted. I was surprised that I could cross my legs far enough, without pain, to do the stretches and the meditation. I've greatly reduced my pain meds, 1 aleve and/or 1 tylenol after breakfast and same before sleep (adding my 1:1 tincture which works beautifully again). I found that last night, I skipped pain meds entirely and also didn't saran wrap but woke up with tightness that eased once I started walking. With that said, I took 1 aleve with breakfast and sitting here at the desk hurts a bit as struggle to find the right bend to satisfy The Knee.

I found that climbing up the stairs is easier if I have the cane, so I've been using it until my right leg is strong enough to lift me without pain or instability. I haven't tried downstairs yet because I'm scared it will hurt (saying it out loud makes me realize I should try given the other ROM improvements). Mobility is getting easier.

I’m a fellow foodie & love to cook, sure looking forward to getting in my kitchen again!
Give it time. Not that your experience will be like mine, but you're about a month behind me and this was my first attempt at something that required lots of prep. I took more than a few bites. I finished the plates with scallions, fresh cilantro, avocado slices and a nice aged cheddar.

As for sleep, same advice. I just started sleeping through the night this weekend. Sleep challenges are different for everyone, but sleeplessness is a fairly common complaint with TKR patients (so my care team informed me and Bonesmart agrees).

Do take care of yourself, you’re an inspiration to me
I am honored to be able to provide some support.

Susie-Q

graduate
Country
scallions, fresh cilantro, avocado slices and a nice aged cheddar.
You are making me hungry with your chili talk...... YUM

I'm jealous you can bend your legs enough to cross them, is this "Indian style"? (which is probably inappropriate to say now) or criss-cross apple sauce as they said when my kids were young. I haven't been able to do that for a long time. Knees just won't bend that far anymore.

I definitely can't go downstairs with each leg. I tried when I got to the bottom step and it was pain-city. Going up is easy now but I don't do it very often, only to go up to the bonus room to use the bike.

Congrats on finishing your yoga workout!

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

graduate
Country
criss-cross apple sauce
Yes, this. My criss-cross is not that deep but is sufficient to stretch/wake up the muscles. I was also able to do foot to foot (or bound angle) to get a good stretch in my hips and boy did I need that. So as not to rejoin the ODIC, I'll switch days to include one session of walking, yoga or stay-biking. That is, until I can get back to that daily wake up yoga practice, and whatever other activities I decide to add that day.

Thanks for the congrats - I missed that wake-up routine.

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

graduate
Country
Is this morning yoga practice something you found online
I found it on YouTube - search for morning bed yoga, there will be a number of hits but I like Maris Aylward. She also has a relaxing nighttime practice for bed where her cycle leaves you in corpse pose, meditating until you sleep, pretty cool.

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

graduate
Country
So I'm adjusting the my PT care plan. I've noticed that I have more consistent progress when I spread activities out over the course of the day/week rather than trying to pack everything into a 1 hour session. My home work just gets me further without the painful recovery days. For instance, my physical therapist added 3 new exercises at our only session and I could not identify which caused the pain, so I dropped them all. I canceled today's session, so have not returned to PT for 2 weeks. I feel stronger and more flexible and capable of managing myself through this recovery (I'm very motivated to regain my life).

PT and I agreed that we would reset our plan this Friday to focus on current state progress and training new exercises to do at home. I'll meet with her weekly to allow her to assess my progress and provide new exercises. I emphasized that my ROM changes throughout the day dependent on activities during the day, so we should not get excited if I regress some at the time of her measurement (it may not be my current best). I'm hoping that she now sees me, and sheds the quick observations she made at our initial session. We'll see.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tortoiselady
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom