BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Having THR in early September

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by hipvan, Jul 31, 2018.

1. hipvan

hipvan junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I’m beginning to get things organised for pre and post surgery.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Welcome to BoneSmart! These links might help in your organisation:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

If you give me the date of your surgery and which hip is being replaced I'll pop the information in your signature for you.

3. hipvan

hipvan junior member

Trying to get fit for surgery and lose a bit of weight! Pre op assessment in the middle of August.

4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi there. Welcome to BoneSmart.
    Good for you for getting prepared for getting these hips fixed.
    Hard to get enough exercise when hips are bad..
    I found that working on my upper body strength really helped me also.
    Best of luck!

5. Jaycey

@hipvan you may notice I merged your 2 threads together. No need to start a new thread to reply to any input you get here. Just scoot down to the empty box at the bottom of a thread and start typing your reply there.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @hipvan welcome to the forum! I'm also having my left done, about a week after you....have already had the right done, not sure if that makes me worry more or less! Time seems to be going really fast now....seem to have jumped from '11weeks' to '5weeks 6days' overnight!

7. hipvan

hipvan junior member

Thanks for your replies! I’m really confused about how the forum works on the app I installed. OK using the website tho.

Had hip school and pre op assessment a couple of days ago. Hip school really useful, but pre op assessment a bit of a shambles and left me feeling anxious about post op pain. Oral morphine makes me very very sick and anti-emetics zombie-like! No alternative was offered.

As for compression stockings, I was told that you can’t manage them yourself. I live alone and have limited backup, so will have to find some solution.

Please forgive the moaning - I guess it is all part of pre op nerves!

8. Bionic

Bionic graduate

Hi @hipvan,
    I'm not sure what anti-emitcs are but I definitely know the oral morphine. It's good for dumbing the pain and letting you get some sleep but made me feel sick too. After the second dose I said I didn't want any more but there were plenty of other stuff I could have, although actually didn't need in the end. I was on a drip of liquid paracetamol first and they gave me 2 bags of that. I also had coidene which made me sleep too. They said if I was in any pain I should ask for something else. So I am sure you won't be left in pain.

I do agree about the compression socks though. Impossible to get on and off on your own as you can't bend. Is there anyone who could come in and do that task for you? Even if it's not every day it would be a great help. My husband was taking mine off in the morning so that I could have a shower and then drying my legs for me and putting the socks back on.

I expect the district nurse will be in a couple of times to change dressings and take stitches out so she will be able to change your socks too.

I hope it all goes to plan for you. Best wishes

9. hipvan

hipvan junior member

Hi Bionic

Thanks for the reassurance - I hope that maybe the anaesthetist will be able to help when I see her/him before the op.

Anti-emetic is anti-sickness. You are right - intravenous paracetamol is very effective!

10. hipvan

hipvan junior member

New date for op. Now 12 September.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bionic

Bionic graduate

Hi @hipvan,
    Thanks for letting me know about anti-emetics. It turns out I did have some of those after the second dose of oral morphine. It was a sort of piece of paper. They peeled off the top layer and then I took the 'paper' and placed it on my tongue. A couple of mins and it had dissolved and the sickness went shortly afterwards.

They gave me a bottle of oral morphine to bring home for pain relief but I haven't needed to opened it., thank goodness

12. Going4fun

Going4fun member

@hipvan, you're not moaning. You're getting ready for surgery!!!!!

Part of getting ready is worrying and complaining ... In fact, "worrying" and "moaning" and fretting are what get us ready for the surgery ... and we come here to get answers to our worries. You're doing fine!

BTW: we have the same surgery date: September 12 if I read your correctly.

13. dlp

dlp senior

Definitely talk to your surgeon about pain med options. There are a lot of them out there, and not all of them agree with everyone. (My wife gets an upset stomach on hydrocodone, but for some reason is OK with oxycodone)

Compression socks, as @Bionic says, usually will require someone to help you. I needed them after my first surgery, and definitely couldn't do them myself because of restrictions.

Weirdly, for my second surgery last month, I actually didn't need them at all. I didn't do anything different after either surgery, so I really don't know why - did my ankle pumps, got up and moved around every so often to get the blood flowing, etc. Hopefully you will not need them, but definitely try to find a volunteer if possible, just in case you do need them.

Good luck next month!

14. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there :wave:
    Wishing you comfort as you await September 12th
    Hope you have a peaceful weekend!
    @hipvan

15. hipvan

hipvan junior member

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your support. It all feels a bit lonely even though I have some good friends who’ve been through the op and have done really well.

I’m intrigued about the anti sickness drugs being delivered on paper! What a good idea.

16. Jaycey

@hipvan There are plenty of options for pain relief post op. I can't take morphine for the same reason and I have never used it post op. Discuss this with your surgeon pre-op or with the anaesthetist. Same with the TEDs - be sure staff know you are recovering alone. In many cases they don't make you wear them.

BTW - can you please confirm the your surgery date. Your signature says 5 September but other posts refer to 12 September.

17. hipvan

hipvan junior member

Hi Jaycey

My surgery date was changed from 5th to the 12th September.

The nurse was adamant that I have to wear the TEDs for six weeks. No discussion! But I read somewhere that 65% of patients don’t comply with this rule. I made it clear that I didn’t have anyone I could ask (friends are too elderly or disabled) , so I wait with interest to see what they decide to do next. I’ll be doing the anti coagulant injections as well, so won’t be without some protection from DVTs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jaycey

If you are doing the injections and moving around regularly during the day you should be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I feel sure I didn't use the compression socks for more than two weeks but I've read on here of others who didn't have to wear them at all. They said they were to avoid clots but I think lots of ankle pumps do that as well.

If you are not going to see your OS again before your surgery, I would definitely give the office a call about your concerns on the oral morphine. I'm sure there are plenty of other options available to you that will work just as well.

This is the right place to ask your questions or voice your concerns as there are so many helpful people out there willing to offer suggestions and support. I know my recovery would have been much more difficult if it had not been for BoneSmart.

• Like Like x 1
  20. hipvan

hipvan junior member

Thank you for your replies - I will see the OS and an anaesthetist just before the op, so will hope that the message about oral morphine will get through then. I’m hoping to go for a spinal plus heavy sedation, so that should help a bit with post op pain.