THR Having Second Thoughts

Anniec19

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone
So I am just coming to the end of a 10 day holiday in Orlando. I brought my walking stick and was prepared to have to hire a wheelchair most days. I have done LOADS of walking as you can imagine visiting all the theme parks. I am confused as all this walking seems to have done me a world of good. Although I am still in pain it is much less than I thought it would be and is better than when I'm at work sitting at a desk all day. I am beginning to feel like a fraud and maybe I should postpone surgery and just do more walking at home. What thoughts do others have?

@Anniec19 Our minds play tricks on us pre-op. We look for any opportunity to say all is well. Truth is - that hip will not get better and will indeed get worse - possibly very quickly. The sooner you get your THR the better. Recovery is MUCH easier if you have not limped around for months.

Get that hip done and get on with living again.

Aw thank you x I suppose the massive amounts of morphine I've been taking has possibly had something to do with it

@Anniec19 Welcome! Glad you had a better experience during your vacation, than you anticipated! Maybe you do not use morphine for pain at work?

Glad you have something for the pain, but across the pond, some surgeons want you off pain medicine for a month before the surgery.

I guarantee it ... as soon as you delay surgery ... as soon as your hip confirms that you had put it off ... it will strike with a menacing pain. Guarantee it.

BTW: you used some strong language ... feeling like a "fraud." It's not a requirement of this surgery to completely immobile. Say a little bit more if you will. Not a criticism ... Just curious about whether this thought is something we can help you with (without trying to boss or control you.)

Oh and don't forget: morphine or not, there's a good chance you will pay for all that walking that seems so comparative fine right now. Arthritic hips have a long memory ...

I am some 9 weeks post THR.
Haven't had to take a pain med including Tylenol in a long time.
I did have good days pre op I walked as much as possible but it did not change my mind about surgery. The bad days were getting more frequent.
Now I am pain free.

Hi Annie,

I too just went through similar thoughts and emotions prior to my knee replacement. I have also had two hip replacements and did the same thing with those too! It's totally natural to second guess your decision to have a major surgery, but if it is ultimately going to happen you need to ask yourself how much long you'd be willing to endure the pain, and why. If it's fear, that's normal too, but having had two hips done, it is a walk in the park, so to speak! I decided this time around (because I knew the knee was much harder than the hip and I was dreading it) that ultimate I want the quality of life now. No matter how long we wait, if it's inevitable I say do it. Having said that, timing with things going on in your life is a factor as well. Sometimes we get the ability to plan around things and make it happen at the best possible time (is that really even a thing?!!), but if it doesn't matter, just breathe, trust the reason you sought this out, and know that all will be ok on the other side. You will be ok and you will be walking pain-free! Keep us posted!

I suppose the massive amounts of morphine I've been taking has possibly had something to do with it
And there is another good reason for getting that surgery done. You certainly don't want to spend any more time than necessary on morphine. Sounds like it's time!

Your ability to walk on vacation is more than likely due to the drugs which is not something to live on. Also, could be a bit of endorphin high from vacation. This does not cure the joint and as others have said the joint remembers and makes us pay for our fun. I am happy you could enjoy the vacation, it is nice to get a break and feel human.

I am in the same boat you are. I had decided to post-pone and the very next day I could barely walk. It got a bit better but nights are awful most of the time.

I too had an 11 day vacation with lots of walking. I also was amazed I could do as much as I did and not be limping. So I understand that it does make you question things. But I've been home a week preparing for my surgery for Nov. 5th and I feel aches, pains, catches etc. and as I told a friend, I am not going to wait until I can barely walk before I decide to do a THR. I'm younger than I will ever be, in pretty decent shape and health and therefore my recovery will be better. So think of it that way. Now is a better time than later. At least for me. I'm excited to be able to do the things I stopped doing like hiking, dancing, putting my leg in a figure 4, less back and glute pain, and taking long walks.

Hi @Anniec19 How are you feeling this weekend? I know you were feeling confused by your hip's behavior and wondered if you have things settled now, in your mind in regards to your surgery?

I remember when I went though the same mental agonies with my first hip. Whatever you decide, I hope you are at peace with your decision. Have a good remainder of your weekend. :flwrysmile:

Annie:

Echo doodlemama's post!!!

I am scheduled for hip #2 Nov 13th (hip #1 March 29) and was questioning my decision a few weeks ago until this past weekend when the bone-on-bone pain increased very quickly to the degree that I can't walk without lumbering and teetering like a penguin. I look ridiculous. Boy, am I glad I didn't cancel!

I think what happens is shock that you have to go thru this again and know what recovery is like. ( I feel that I haven't fully recovered from #1. ) It's difficult to accept and that's only a natural reaction. The pain though is awful and it will only get worse, so tell yourself that you deserve to be pain free. What helped me is the thought that the sooner it's done, the sooner I'll stop thinking about my hip 24/7. I am so sick of thinking and talking about my hips.

Think of me on wed and I'll think of you on Friday. Good luck and peace with our decisions.

I am sorry that you are back to such pain but doubly glad that you didn't cancel your surgery!!
Our minds can play some tricks on us, at times.
Wishing you the best on Wednesday and we hope to see you posting a recovery thread where we will be there to help with anything you may have questions about- even though you were through it less than a year ago!

In the run up (pardon the pun) to my THR a few weeks ago, I had the same experience. It didn’t seem as painful as it had been, I could walk well some days, etc.
I thought it was a mind trick, and was always certain I would go through with the surgery.
glad I did!!

Had mine done 4 months ago and don't regret it at all. The arthritis pain is gone, I can walk normal again. We're here to support you through recovery. :friends:

Thanks everyone ! 2 days to go and anxious as hell but much more positive about things now. ritabell I'll be thinking about you tomorrow xx

You are almost there! Wish you comfort as you await surgery on Friday.
:)

Thanks everyone ! 2 days to go and anxious as hell but much more positive about things now. ritabell I'll be thinking about you tomorrow xx
I have been reading the threads and am so happy to hear you are going ahead. It seems we have some good days pre-op, and it does make us question. But I went ahead like all these folks before, and know for absolute sure you are doing the right thing. Good luck!

All the best tomorrow @Anniec19 ! See you on the other side soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks