Having my first Knee Replacement July 9th 2014**Nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinana

post-grad
Country
United States United States
It is now 28 days until the big Day. I am nervous and anxious all at once. I hope to understand what is a head of me by reading what everyone has experience. My surgeon wanted to do both knees but was unsure if I could handle that so decided to start with my left knee. So unsure when I will be able to have the right knee done. Getting ready for a lot of doctor appoints for clearance, testing ect. I am also taking a class about joint replacement. Did anybody have to take a class? I happen to find this site by researching. I pray all has a safe surgery. Is anyone nervous or anxious?

Everyone gets nervous, some get terrified while some even cancel their surgery. I actually got more confidant and wanted it done already. I had read all I can from bonesmart and got all my post op home aids in order. Such as cane , commode riser, ice therapy machine , shower chair, etc. I made acquaintances on bonesmart that supported and gave me excellent advice. You will too ! stick around . It will be worth it. Best of luck. Iceman

Oh my yes.....even those of us who know all about the surgery get nervous before our joints are replaced. It's quite normal, as any surgery is a big deal. But try to relax and take heart in knowing that you have a skilled medical team on your side. To them, this is just another day at the office!!! This surgery is performed so many times and it has a very high success rate.

Your idea to do some reading here on the forum is an excellent way to learn more about what lies ahead for you. So please do that and let us know at any time if you have specific questions or concerns.

Yes I also have to attend a joint class. My OS is located around 2 hours away. They were able to set my medical history appointment, all lab work and tests, and my joint class on the same day so I wouldn't have to travel back and forth. My big day is July 15. Best of luck to you and just remember to read all you can on BS site and we both will do just fine. (I hope) :friends:

Okay I am trying to get prepared for surgery, now 27 days away. Today got a bed wedge to be able to elevate my legs, I have a cane, got a commode riser, borrowed a walker. Now I wondering what next. I am reading so much about the pain :scaredycat:, it scares the heck out of me. I do not have a high tolerance for pain. I am on so many meds already as have Rheumtoid Arthritis. I think what I need is positive attitude, I am trying. This site is awesome and thank you to the administrators for all you do!!!!! :yahoo:

Try no to focus too much on the pain. You're in pain now, right? The pain you will have after surgery (and it will be managed well through your medications) is a totally different pain….a healing pain that will only get better, not worse like the pain of arthritis. Good luck to you! Sounds like you pretty well prepared!

Welcome to the forum---we are glad the you have found us and we will endeavor to answer all of your questions and help you deal with all of your concerns.

I am reading so much about the pain :scaredycat:, it scares the heck out of me. I do not have a high tolerance for pain.
You should not be in pain after your surgery---you should be on an excellent pain med regimen. There will be some discomfort, of course, but after my BTKR, I was not in any pain at all.

Whatever pain you are in---and you should not be in excessive pain---will also go away, as the surgical pain will subside, as opposed to the arthritis pain, which will get worse.

As for your fears and nervousness---that is all to be expected and is normal---we all felt that way.

Please keep coming back and ask any question or pose any concern--we will be here for you!

I have some concerns. I was telling him (my husband) all that I was reading and he think its easy peasy recovery. He does not like to read but I want you to read is an awesome site. I told him you realize I am going to be down for a bit. So my question is how do you make them understand you are not gonna be up to par, I really don't what this worry. My daughter in law is coming in for first week then I am on my own and that is a scarey though. @ referee54 I hope the pain is not excessive and will go away, Thank you for the help

I have some concerns. I was telling him (my husband) all that I was reading and he think its easy peasy recovery. He does not like to read but I want you to read is an awesome site.
The recovery is not horrible, but it is indeed challenging---the two toughest aspects are the length of recovery---it takes longer than we would like it to---mine took about eight months to get to about90%-95%.

The second difficult aspect is the patience needed---you will be challenged to reach down inside yourself for patience that you did not know that you have.

So my question is how do you make them understand you are not gonna be up to par, I really don't what this worry.
Have them watch some YouTUbe videos of the surgery---or this link---
Live Operating Room TKR Video from November 19 2013

They will then realize the idea that recovery will take some time, and, while you will certainly not be bed-ridden after surgery, you will be moving slowly for some time.

Hi and welcome to BS! It is a scary time for everyone..we were all nervous, and personally, I was petrified. But I also was sick and tired of my life being taken from me by my knee and it's inability to function well. The pain will be managed by pain meds-they have excellent ones and will make sure you are settled on them before going home. I see you need both knees done-it's your decision as to having one or both done at the same time, but if it were me, I'd never consider anything but having both done at once. One surgery, one recovery and it's behind you. I only had (and only needed) a RTKR, and I know both at once is a little more time in surgery, and double healing, etc, but I hate hospitals, surgery, needles, etc, so it would make the most sense to me to get it over with all at once. Ask for advice here from those that had BTKR's-they are a great source for you. As for your hubby, mine wouldn't take the time to read here, but he did willingly stay home with me and help greatly. I could not have done without his help-it ended up almost a month that he was home due to some unrelated illnesses I got hit with. But I originally planned for two weeks full-time with him home and that would have been perfect. It's a daunting recovery-and not a walk in the park, so as much help as you can get would be wonderful. If your hubby thinks it's an easy recovery-it's not. You will need a ton of patience as you go through different stages, some days are challenging and some days are a bit easier. But it's a long process-I'm at 8 weeks and am just beginning to do a few things around the house with lots of rest, icing and elevating in between. You'll need to take all the advice from here you can get, listen to it well and if you have any questions, fears, etc., someone here will always be happy to help you. We've all been through it, survived and come out on the other side with shiny new knees (or knee). Good luck to you.

Hi @madinana, It is so normal to be nervous. I was so nervous prior to surgery and had the knowledge the pre-op classes through the hospital and you have the good knowledge from the good folks here.You will be okay. As you see some people do both knees. That is a decision between you and your OS doctor. So far it looks like he is suggesting one. Some folks on this board have the second one done 2-3 months afterwards. I actually don't see how I could have dealt with both done at the same time and it was not necessary to do my left knee for a while. I still have some cushion there and the knee only pains me every now and then. So at this point I will leave well enough alone. Just take a deep breath and try to relax, and know that you will be well and on the road to recovery after July 9th. I wish you the best and look forward to seeing you on the other side. :loveshwr::welome:

Oh dear I may have a stupid question. I have read how important it is with your pain meds. I was wondering how everyone keeps track. Do you ask in the hospital when you can have your next one and right it down. I am sorry if its a dumb question I am just trying to be prepared any way I can

When I came out of surgery, I had a PCA, which, when I pressed a button, would administer a dose of pain meds (it would not let me do it too soon so I could not overdose on it). The nurses were also excellent on when to give the pills, too, and they were on the clock.

When you get home, it is important to take the pain meds on the clock---that is, before you are in pain. Some folks either write down the time or use an app on their phone---there are apps now for smartphones that will remind you when to take your meds.

In my case, while in the hospital, there was a white board across from that helped keep track of that. For the most part, I had to ask for them when due; they were not brought automatically.

At home, if you have a smartphone, there are apps that can help provide reminders as to when to take your pain meds.

Hi madinana, I had joint class last week with a PT, OT and a case worker. Next week I have my pre physical. July 2 Pre admission and Visit with my OS and then July 8, I will be going in for a Bilaterial TKR's. I can't wait, very excited to get-r-done. If I can I let you know how it went for me the night before your surgery. Funny thing I'm also counting down the days. I also see that your a New Yorker. I have found that by reading the many stories of the good people on here, there are so many positive out comes, I don't feel nervous at all. So good luck with your surgery. I 'll pray that you get thru it with a smooth ride.

I am 24 days out from a bilateral. The pain worried me before as well. It has not been as intense as I thought it would be. More of dull aching than anything. I'm glad I had both done at once because my original knee would not have supported my new knee. Follow the doctors directions and be patient with your knee.

For me, except for the first 2 hours in recovery (there were circumstances that I won't get into now), the pain for me never reached the "5" level - 3-4 was typical as it came time for the pain meds, 1-2 after they had taken effect. And like @msmechanic58 says, it is more of an ache than anything else and far more preferable than the bone-on-bone pain of pre-surgery.

If you have RA you are likely used to dealing with pain. The good news is that the post surgery pain does get better.

Like Phil, at the hospital they had a whiteboard in the room & wrote down what time I could have the next dose.
Currently I'm keeping a little notebook where I write down what time I've taken what and what time I'm due for the next dose.

@kneeper I went and got a notebook for taking information. I will take to my preop appointments ect. I have to take a class, not sure what that will entail. I am use to the pain, but the sharp stabbing in my knees bring me to halt and then can only walk tiny and I mean tiny steps. The only thing stopping me from getting both done is I don't want to go to nursing home for rehab so one at a time for me. Once again say thank you to all the advisors, you all are great. I do have one question I have a pair of eye glassing next to my name, what does that mean? Hope everyone has a great progressive day PAIN FREE :elevate:

Great tips for the pain meds. The spectacles I think mean a moderator is watching or reading your thread. This way they can help out if you need it! Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie