• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Having Fulkerson Osteotomy with PKR

kimmiep40

Country
United States United States
Hi, anyone else had a Fulkerson osteotomy with a PKR? I go in next week for my right leg and I am 56. Most of the posts I have seen are all from younger individuals and I am worried about my recovery and pain management.

Questions for anyone:
Ice machine verses ice bags post op?
Best way to do stairs when you get home from surgery?
Working from home after a few weeks?
Recovery pain and how best to handle it.

Just really nervous! Any advice would be awesome.

Celle

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @kimmiep40 - and :welome:

Do you have a date for your surgery?

I'm going to ask @Josephine, our Nurse Director to advise you. She has many years of experience in orthopaedics.

In one of your other threads, she asked you if you have an X-Ray you can post, so she can look at the state of your knee.

However, my own advice would be to not have an osteotomy. They're notoriously painful and most people end up having a total knee replacement afterwards anyway. Skip the osteotomy and go straight to a TKR.
At your age, that's the more appropriate operation.

Here's a list of threads by people who've had an osteotomy:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/knee-replacement-recovery-area.9/?prefix_id=53
Read some of their threads, to see how they've got on.

By the way, since you haven't had your surgery yet, I'm going to move this thread to the Knee Pre-Op area. People do come back there after they've had their surgeries.

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Fulkerson osteotomy along with a partial is not really uncommon because the purpose of it is to correct a malaligned patellar tracking.

All these questions are actually in our Library but you also will get most in the Recovery Guidelines as well ...
Ice machine verses ice bags post op?
Ice to control pain and swelling
Best way to do stairs when you get home from surgery?
Stairs: how to cope with stairs after surgery
Recovery pain and how best to handle it.
Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Working from home after a few weeks?
But anyway, though I shall be repeating myself, here are the Guidelines anyway! Good reading!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Loopy Lou

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Kiimie

I meant to reply to you sooner, but have not long had a Fulkerson osteotomy (my surgeon also calls it Tibial Tuberosity Transfer), along with a Patellofemoral replacement at the same time, sounds similar to your op?

From your dates above, it looks like you may have had your procedures about a week before me? My operation dated was Saturday 8th June, so I'm just over 2 weeks in now. I'm 47, by the way

I'm sure you've answered your own questions by now, but I was given an ice cuff by the hospital. It's pre-filled with water by the hospital, and we keep it in the fridge and then just pop it in the freezer for 20 or so minutes just before using. It's a shock at first when I put it on, but it's good, especially after I've done my Physio, which is what the hospital recommended. Not sure about the ice machines, I did a lot of reading pre-op, and wondered if I'd need one, but I seem to be doing just fine with the ice cuff. How are you getting on with it?

While the stairs aren't difficult, I do find them tiring, and at the moment am trying to limit them to twice a day, down in the morning, then back up again at night! I have been learning the past few nights though, that I should be going upstairs earlier than I currently am. I'm getting overtired, and tackling the stairs when tired isn't ideal.
Are you finding the stairs ok?

Working from home after a few weeks - this is my plan also Have you started it yet? I was ridiculously organised before my operation, reorganising tasks that could be covered at work by colleagues, and noting down what I would need to do from home. My company provided me with a computer set up at home in the weeks beforehand, so I can remote in to my work computer, and I have also brought all the necessary folders, paperwork, stationery, etc home with me. As I didn't know how things would pan out, I arranged with my boss that I wouldn't do anything for the first 2 weeks, possibly 3, and then start to do work after that. I've just gone past 2 weeks, so may try a few bits and bobs next week.

Recovery pain - this is where I have been totally surprised Apart from the initial night in hospital (where I got about 2 hours sleep, and the pain was pretty bad, pain scale of 6/7 and rising despite the pain meds) I feel like I have been extremely fortunate with post-op pain. I was started on 400mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day / 500mg of paracetamol 4 times a day / and 30mg (I think?) of codeine 4 times a day, and I have been absolutely fine. The only time I feel any pain is when I move in an odd way, like trying to lift my leg onto the bed, etc, or when I'm doing my Physio, and each day the pain is getting less and less. I've just reduced my ibuprofen to twice a day, and am aiming to bring it down to one a day in a few days. After all the reading I did beforehand, I was quite scared of what was to come, and while it hasn't been a walk in the park, it's been so much easier than I could have imagined

Do let me know how you are getting on, (if you are still using this website), it would be great to hear from someone who has had similar procedures to me

All the best
Lou

Celle

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@kimmiep40
How are you getting on? Have you had your surgery?

You haven't posted since May 25th. I hope you're OK.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Gumby13
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags