BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Having doubts! help!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by bethsail, Nov 12, 2018.

1. bethsail

bethsail junior member

United States United States
    Sorry for the long post but I’m really in a pickle. I know no one can make this decision except me and I’ve been through this before so I know what to expect, but I’m having serious reservations whether my right knee is at the point where I need to do this.

Now bear with me – before my left knee I was in complete misery couldn’t walk very far, couldn’t stand more than 10 minutes, my life and really shrunk.

I had left knee surgery in January and I was just improving to the point where I was back to many of my activities - strength is returning etc and I tore the tibialis posterior tendon in my right ankle in September. Over the last two months I’ve had a boot, ankle braces etc. now I just have a custom orthotics. It has healed and pain has decreased but it’s still there.

Currently the pain in my ankle is still greater than the pain in my knee. My knee surgeon's PA suggested I wait and schedule again for April. She said the knee has to hurt more than the ankle. Thoughts?

My left was worse than right however tricompartmental OA and severe patella degeneration. Also torn my cartilage in two places but the ligaments are all still good.

My left hip has OA and my back now hurts more standing f than my right knee. But not sure if the knee is making it worse.

I planned this out and got clearance to take time off from work etc., etc., and feel confident I can do the rehab however I’ve also changed my eating habits have lost 25lbs and actually have more pain when resting and moving around in my left already repaired knee.

I know these take a long time to heal. Any thoughts are appreciated. Surgery is a week from today. Please share any advice based on your experiences, especially if you can relate to anything I’ve said. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My thoughts are this is total rubbish. You made the decision to proceed. Your degree of pain is yours alone. I think this PA is out of line trying to convince you to reschedule.

Get that knee done and get on with living again.

3. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I agree. With two good knees you can perhaps work on proper gait and gentle recovery. It's not going to get any better and will only negatively impact your hip and back if untreated. I also think that the enforced rest after the operation can only help your tendon to heal and recover.

Can't see a reason for postponing, really.

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

It isn't long!
    I corrected the spelling of this tendon as it's quite different to what you put which was posterior tibial tendon. This is what the PTT looks like. Because of the function it undertakes in the foot and with each step you take, it will be an extremely painful injury. Something to think about while you are making a decision.

tibiliais posterior.JPG

5. Jajakio

Jajakio graduate

It is a tough decision to make. I know nothing about the ankle situation but my hip and back were hurting presurgery. I had a long bout of bursitis in both hips a few months before surgery. After surgery I went through some rough periods with the back as my gait adjusted but overall I was surprised at how much knee surgery did to improve both the back and hip pain on that side. I had another bout of hip bursitis a few months ago but only on the non operated side. I will eventually need the other knee done. I feel for you. It's a decision which no one else can make for you and it's probably not going to be pleasant no matter which you choose. You might consider trying to speak to the surgeon, not just the PA, and see what he thinks.

6. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Is the option April because of work? Otherwise could you aim for January to give the injury a bit more time to heal?

7. bethsail

bethsail junior member

Doc is scheduling 4 to 5 months out.... why April was suggested.
    Thank you for the comments. My therapist, who assisted me with the first rehab and now is working on PT for my PTT (lol), read me my right knee MRI when I was talking about canceling. She said "it's not going to get better, and I would be more worried if it was your LEFT foot as that one will be taking the brunt of you getting around post op and early rehab. You have a plan, you're executing it, and once you're right knee is done and you get the UCBL orthotics for your ankle you'll be on your way. In addition, don't forget you are walking so much better since the left one, your right one will only get better". So far, I'm proceeding forward. More to come.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bethsail

bethsail junior member

So I’m all in now. Getting ready for Monday....

9. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’ll be thinking of you and hoping you have a smooth surgery and recovery! :friends:

10. flsungirl

flsungirl member

Sending healing vibes and hoping for a fabulous recovery!

11. johnnyutah

johnnyutah new member

best of luck. keep us informed.

12. bethsail

bethsail junior member

So I apologize I’ve been off the grid the last two months...but I did it and I’m so glad!
    The FINAL straw came down to my partner saying “ what is really bothering you about this?” I had to say that I wasn’t sure the right one was bad enough. I was asked asked to do a squat and as I tried the right knee buckled and I nearly fell. The response was “wow, you need it”. I was now convinced.

It did not go off without a hitch (I’ll post that in my recovery thread) but The feeling of relief afterwards that it’s now done was huge.

My right knee was not as trashed as the left was so surgery was easier and knowing what and when to expect it has made recovery easier. I was relying so much during my left knee recovery on a bad right knee to carry the load I was disappointed in my overall balance and functional movement.

I’ve had a really good recovery so far and now that I have two good knees I can now focus on improving my balance, strength, and my gait— which was really bad before.

I know nobody wants to have to have a joint replacement but it truly is life changing.

• Like Like x 1