THR 6 Weeks Post Op

I bet it is just the way you have shifted to compensate for your hip. What makes me think that? I was in terrible pain and couldn't walk last weekend due to a dopey baker cyst. When I needed to shift to get from point a to point b, my awesome 10 year old titanium knee began to hurt. I thought the same thing as you do now. Now I can walk much better and my superhero knee feels fine. I think yours will feel better, too. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hello @Dulcinea14 and welcome to BoneSmart!

It's not uncommon to develop pain in other parts of your leg after hip or knee replacement surgery. In all likelihood, you had modified your gait over time because of the pain your hip. The muscles in your leg need time to adjust to the new alignment.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your knee pain is less bothersome today. Try ice if OTC pain meds aren‘t helping. I agree with what the others mentioned about your gait changing post THR and your body adjusting to the prosthetic. I’m sure there was some favoring going on that aggravated your knee and hopefully it’s only temporary.
Best Wishes, please stay in touch.
@Dulcinea14

Had a total hip replacement May 23, 2022 - 4 months ago. Have no pain whatsoever, am exercising, but my mobility has not had much of an improvement. I need a cane to walk outside and most of the time I use my rollator walker. In the house I also use a walker most of the night. Disappointed in my recovery! Suggestions?

Hello @Dulcinea14 It's hard not to get discouraged with the differences in our recoveries, especially when you might have been told an average recovery timeline. So many things can affect a recovery that can take a year or more to accomplish, as we all heal at different rates. I was just coming completely off my cane at 4 months. Did you have a long wait before your surgery? May I also gently ask why are you feeling that you need your walker and cane? Is it because you feel unstable? Also, could you illuminate us as to what you define as mobility issues? We might be able to advise you more specifically with a few more details. We're here for you.
In the meantime, I will leave you with our recovery guidelines for your review.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Well, i feel I need my cane or walker because my balance is bad. It was not good before the surgery and I was hoping hip replacement would help. It did not.l. As for mobility issues, I just don’t move well and feel unstable without some support. I am83 years old and I am sure I would be doing better if I was 65

Hello @Dulcinea14
I'm sorry you're discouraged with your progress. Possibly a number of Physical Therapy sessions can help you gain some confidence in walking unassisted. You may want to give it some consideration if you haven't already. Other than that, it may take more time as you're only four months into a recovery than can take a full year. Many members notice improvement into their second and third years. It is possible your recovery could be taking a bit longer due to age as you mentioned. You really may benefit with some physical therapy sessions and I'm sure your surgeon's office can direct you in that regard. Let us know what you decide and keep in touch with your progress.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I hope you have a pleasant week. :SUNsmile:

@Dulcinea14
I found physical therapy to be helpful with balance and proprioception. It helped to get my body and brain reconnected. Even though I wasn't toppling over, I was so used to walking so slowly and carefully that it was initially a little difficult to get a normal gait.
It did not take long to make improvements.
The exercises were not at all stressful physically, and my therapist always thought about safety first so nothing was scary. Most of the exercises can be done without special equipment, so maybe you can get orders for some in home sessions, if going to a facility isn't feasible.

@Dulcinea14 I used my walker up through my third month if I remember correctly. My surgeon wanted me to go to physical therapy to improve my gait as I had been limping, compensating for bad hip and using a cane for some time prior to surgery. Therapist wanted me to stay with the walker until she saw improvement in my balance and mobility before she approved me going to the cane.

Physical therapy could probably be helpful if for nothing else but to have someone monitor your gait and make suggestions. They have many things that can help correct any problems you may be having and it doesn't have to be physically stressful as @subie2021 stated.

I had PT for 6 weeks 1 or 2 times a week after surgery, but now, if I wanted to go to PT my insurance would not pay and it would cost me $40 a session. Can’t afford that.

I am 6 months post op from anterior hip replacement and seem to be getting worse. My mobility seems to be decreasing and I can only get around with my walker. I was able to use my cane the first 2 or 3 months after surgery, but now I feel very unstable and feel more secure with my walker. I still do my PT exercises daily, but am very disappointed that I am worse rather than better after surgery. I am 83 years old but my recovery was going nicely the first few months. Any suggestions?

I think you should call your doctor. This doesn't sound right.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

my recovery was going nicely the first few months. Any suggestions?
Hello Dulcinea,
I am sorry you feel you're regressing. Did something happen to make you feel unstable? Are you experiencing any negative effects after PT exercises, or is that working well for you? What exercises are you doing, and how often, if you don't mind sharing? THR recovery can take a full year and you've only recently passed six months post op. If you're able, give us a little bit more info so we can try to advise.
I hope you have a nice weekend.

Saw my surgeon today. Said everything is fine regarding my hip. Since I have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy he suggested I see my neurologist and also a spine doctor since I have spinal stenosis. Getting very discouraged and would like to feel better. I need to use my walker all of the time

Hi Dulcinea, Thanks for the update. I am sorry you are discouraged with your progress, but at least your surgeon's diagnosis and recommendation to see a neurologist gives you some direction. Hopefully the neurologist will be able to guide you in the direction that leads to physical relief and greater independence. Please stay in touch and know we're here for you always. I wish you a peaceful holiday season.
@Dulcinea14

My error in my message. My total HIP REPLACEMENT was 2 YEARS ago, not 2 months AGO.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts