Having a LTHR in Oct

It's hard to get a grip on now...or certainly was for me...that this is the beginning of the end of horrid hip pain and a New Lease on life.
But won't take you long....
You've got this.
I've never regretted my surgery...even in the few tougher recovery spots because I could tell right away...that things were Finally going to get well!!

Last edited:
Hi @Ginny12 .

My biggest fear before the op was that my surgeon would weigh me on the day and tell me I was still too fat and turn me down for surgery. I didn’t sleep the night before worrying about this! He doesn’t like operating on big patients and had made this very clear to me on several occasions.

On the morning of the op I still had a surreal disbelief that I was actually going to go through with it....Recovery still going on and frustratingly slow compared to some others on here but I don’t regret having it done and the really horrible bone on bone pain I had put up with for two years has gone. I feel confident now I will get my life back and, if the other hip goes, will not let it go so long next time before getting it sorted..

Best of luck for your op. People on this forum have been fantastic and will be there for you.

Dear @SurreyGirl thanks for the cheering on, as you know it means a lot.

I am so sorry that your recovery is taking it's time but pleased it is going the right way. I was thinking about what you wrote about the OS saying that you needed to lose weight on several occasions. I felt cross on your behalf. You may be aware of the term nocebo, if not, is the opposite of placebo. Basically if a health care worker, either wittingly or unwittingly, suggests to a patient that a procedure or operation will not go well, the patient picks up on that and a self fulfilling prophecy could happen. I am not saying that this is what has happened in your case but i get the impression that he suggested that you lose weight in a judgemental manner. I am not saying that we should not try and be in a right sized body but to labour the point to a person who is finding it hard to walk is really unhelpful in my opinion. I could be totally wrong but perhaps your recovery is a bit slower because he (and i presume it is a he) has not be as encouraging as he could be.

I have the opposite problem as i am small in statue and weight. The first surgeon i saw kept saying how hard it would be to find an implant to fit me and would have to use a children's one. And even then it might not work! He then listed all the things that could go wrong. Now i fully understand that there has to be informed consent and i truly believe that he was trying to be kind but still... I left this consultation feeling that somehow i was abnormal, i am 5 ft which i agree is not a giantess but loads of people are this size. The next surgeon i saw was completely different, he sized me up and said he could not see why my op would not be a success. When i asked if my height/weight would be a problem he just raised an eyebrow and said no. So for all my anxieties (listed extensively!!!) i have no anxiety about my OS.

So my dear, thanks again for your lovely post and i am sending healing vibes to you.

That is great that you have found an OS that treats you with that respect. I can walk happily with a crutch but still have pain and keep thinking it should be better than this but will keep trying. I don’t give up. If things are still off in another month I will start to get answers but As you are light it should go better for you as you won’t be driving so much weight through your hip.

Hey, @Ginny12, Tuesday is the big day, right? I hope you're managing to do something fun this weekend, within your limitations, but still something to take your mind off surgery and put a smile on your face. I am glad to hear that the first insensitive clod of a surgeon didn't deter you from surgery, and that you found a surgeon who gives you confidence. Yes, you are very petite but reading so many posts on this forum, folks of all ages and sizes have successfully had this surgery. My surgeon didn't say "boo" about me or my height/weight. He did say that he thought I'd do well in surgery and recovery, as I was still able to do some exercise (pathetically small amount but still something!) and that's proved to be the case. Tuesday will complete week #4 for me, and I am really doing pretty well--went to the gym with my husband today for a very slow walk on the treadmill, but didn't bring my walking stick with me--a new first--as I didn't feel as if I needed it. Mine is absolutely NOT the miracle cure, but I am heartened with each passing day that I will achieve a full recovery with my brand new hip. You will as well--some recoveries take longer than others but we ALL are going to get there in the end. Chin up, and hope you're having a great day!

Thinking of you @Ginny12! :angel:
With the doctors protocol, paperwork from the hospital, just follow the instructions and you will do just fine.
We'll be waiting for you! :console2:

@SurreyGirl I see from your op date that you are 3 months on. I don't know about what is normal progress for a hip is but i have gathered it is after 6 months that the magic happens. I am routing for you and your recovery!

@Barbaraj I was up too late reading your post op post. Great reading and you write so well. I am going to try and emulate you and do a post op diary on the other side. Really appreciate you checking in and all the support. Overall not feeling to bad but looking forward to the finish line! Thank you.

@wcgirl Very kind of you to send support. I hope that your recovery is going well.

@Ginny12 All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side soon!

:hi:Finally here...The beginning of a recovery that will give you a pain-free hip future:yes!:

See you on the healing side soon!

Hang in there, @Ginny12, have faith in yourself, your surgeon and your amazing body which WILL rise to the occasion and, once surgery is over, the healing will commence. It may be a slower pace than you like, but as I've read so many, many times, here's to marching firmly (uh...or limping!) into surgery with a positive, can do attitude! You are going to do great!

Last edited:
Hi there, :wave:
Well, tomorrow is your special day.
Many of us will be thinking of you and looking forward to seeing you on the bright side.
Hopefully you can stay busy today and get some sleep tonite.
Sending a warm hug and wishes for your comfort as you move toward your big day!
You'll do great! :wink:
@Ginny12

If you have time today, or tonight, feel free to start your Recovery thread so it's ready to roll for you.
I'm sure you'll get well wishes over there also.

@Mojo333 @Jaycey @Barbaraj @Layla Thanks ladies!!!! xxxxxxx

Just found out the op is in the afternoon, a bit disappointed as would like it over with. But, massive oversharing alert, now at least i won't have to worry about a bathroom trip first thing. I was worried that the epidural would mean loss of control of my bowels. Is that a thing?

This is my last post on this side and i will do as Layla suggests and start a Recovery thread today. Exciting to think it should be over with in 24hrs. I know that is when the hard work begins. Bring it on. x

I know that is when the hard work begins. Bring it on.
The hardest work will be taking it easy for a while...well, and figuring out to keep pain managed and comfortable. I hope all is smooth as silk.:curtsey:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back