Having a LTHR in Oct

Hi @Ginny12
Antibiotics for dental treatment was never mentioned to me. At 11 weeks post op I had a tooth removed without problems. The only thing I was told was to do with blood thinners. You have to make the dentist aware if you are taking them.

@Bionic Thank you i thought it might be different in the UK.

Also, just noticed that i am getting a cold sore. I am prone to them when stressed and my op is on the 23rd. I desperately don't want to postpone as everything set up. Do you or anybody else think that i should let the surgeon know?

I thought that i was doing OK stress wise especially since i am an anxious person, but, must all be bubbling below the surface.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Deep breath, @Ginny12! The pre-surgical jitters are totally the pits, as I was repeatedly told prior to my surgery. I wished I had enough of a Zen-like perspective to say I could banish the anxiety with a wave of the hand—but, no...

Just keep busy and distracted as you’re able, take the long view that you will most probably feel fabulous in 2019, and if you are worried that having a cold sore prevent your surgery then check in with you physician. Knowledge is power, and might help with crazed worries. All the best!

Last edited:
@Ginny12
I would suggest you contact the OS surgeon too. Then one way or another you will know what the score is.
Good luck

Dear @Barbaraj and @Bionic Thank you for your kind replies.

I will contact the pre-op department tomorrow and discuss the cold sore issue with them. It would be gone by the 23rd if it follows the normal pattern. But i suppose my concern is if it is a contraindication as ones immune system is playing up. I had no idea how much prep went into having an op and the things one has to try and avoid. I am not moaning as i can see they are very necessary, more amazed at my ignorance really.

On a more positive note i have adapted ladies pants (knickers in the UK) and i am very pleased with myself. I bought velcro and cut the pants at each side, then sewed the velcro on and now i will not have to bend down to pull underwear up. I am also going to do the same with a pair of gym shorts.

Help!

I am writing this at 1am UK time in a bit of a panic. Apart from my concerns listed in my previous post i have just woken up in a sweat because i just remembered that a friend of mine is a carrier of MRSA. I went out to lunch with her today and we did touch hands and i kissed her cheek. My swabs were negative 4 weeks ago for MRSA but if one is contaminated how quickly would it show up on testing? 24-48hrs?

I am really sorry to be so pathetic but i am really struggling to keep my panic down. I will contact the pre-op nurse i saw tomorrow but i feel ashamed at my lack of resilience.

My husband is (understandably) getting fed up with my never ending worries. I am sorry to vent like this but writing it down is calming me down a bit.

Not sure if anybody can help but any feedback gratefully received.

@Ginny12
I can't help with the MRSA but definitely get it checked out. Perhaps they will do another swab. I suggest you avoid meeting that friend for the time being. I'm sure she will understand.

As for the knickers, I did exactly that. Pre op, I used to spend my evenings watching TV whilst I cut and sewed Velcro into mine too. It works although the Velcro can sometimes rub a bit if you don't position it properly when you put them on.

@Bionic, thanks for your reply it means a lot

They are going to do another swab. But from my research the incubation period (for catching MRSA after hand to hand contact) is indefinite! So for a stress head like me that answer is purgatory.

Worse part of all this is that it could have been totally avoided if i had remembered her being a carrier pre-op.

However, despite after only having 2 hours sleep and spending nearly every waking moment worrying my cold sore seems to have gone! Go figure.

:wave:It's going to be fine...stress not good for you (easy for me to say NOW, I know)
The waiting really is the worst part.
Take some time to find some distractions today.
Never heard of worrying a cold sore away.?:giggle:
Wishing you a peaceful day!:ok:

@Mojo333

Thank you for your post. You are very kind and i can see how encouraging you are to others on this forum who struggle with negativity too.

Yesterday i was fine but today really in a really bad way mentally. Without meaning to be overly dramatic i just find coping with life hard at the best of times and this MRSA business has set me back to way below base line. I realize that to most people i must seem pathetic and i wish i had more grit.

I just have to ride this out and try and get some sleep.

Thank you x

@Ginny12 Please don't be hard on yourself for having these feelings. Waiting for surgery is tough on all of us. But when you start adding all the other "stuff" of daily living and any unexpected things that crop up - well it's darn overwhelming.

Do try and get some rest as much as you can. Being tired can magnify all this. Hang in there!

You may have come into contact with MRSA, but doesn't mean you have acquired it...heck...your immune system is pumping..reference cold sore.:)

Certainly you'll have to have it checked out, but we will certainly be here to cheer you on.:yes!:
If I knew how much better my life was going to be once over initial recovery mess...I would've camped out at the surgery center for sympathy sake!
Here is the place where you CAN express your fears...we understand first hand.
Try to have a good evening...for as much as possible with that hip pain...tends to depress you when you have to live with chronic pain.

Not much longer:egypdance:

Last edited:
Oh, dear @Ginny12, you absolutely should NOT feel at all guilty or anxious about stressing about this major surgery upcoming. I think every single person who has gone through this, myself included, has dealt with anxiety, stress, obsessive thoughts, negative "what if" scenarios, panic and tears. Glad to hear the cold sore has faded, although sorry to read about the concern over spending time with your MRSA carrying friend. Sometimes if it's not one thing, it's another, right? As always, I have no great insight here but what worked--mostly, not saying I didn't have those 2:00 AM out of control worries sometimes--was to keep as busy and distracted as I can. I started "nesting" behavior right before surgery and posted about that, doing silly things like polishing silver and organizing my jewelry--the useful stuff, right? I tried to get together with women friends to laugh and be silly, visit my grandkids, hit the gym regularly (which totally paid off for me, by the way), anything to keep my focus away from surgery worries. You WILL get through this, we all do! And this horrid angst will be over by the end of the month and you'll be focusing your full energy and attention on recovery!

Yes, anticipation drives you nuts. I had my pre-op Apptmt and thot both times would be cancelled. Nope. My friend had MRSA but still had her surgery. They gave her a special wash to use. It sounds like many have it on their skin without knowing it. Don't worry about what you can't control. Well, I give myself 5 minutes. The Doc knows what to do. Glad:vespa::tennis2::capn: you are finding good distractions!

Hi, @Mojo333 /@wcgirl and @Barbaraj for you lovely responses yesterday. Feeling much better after a decent sleep, who knew!

I went to see my therapist today and told him about the support i was getting off my fellow Bonesmarties, he was very impressed. So i would like to say a massive thank you for all the help i have already received. And apologies in advance because as surely as night follows day i will be asking for help when my next 'drama' happens.

He gave me a few good mantras that i would like to share in case they are useful to somebody else:

" Things might get better. Maybe. Maybe. Just maybe".

And for when negative thoughts pop up and one needs a quick response, respond to the thought with the mantra
"Unhelpful".

Thanks again.

Hey, @Ginny12, I love the "unhelpful" mantra. Mine is more "knock that off" but the same idea. Glad you are feeling a bit more positive after a decent night's sleep--truly a miracle worker, I'd say. Keep hanging in there, and the days will pass and before you know it you'll be in recovery and looking towards a brighter, pain-free and far less anxiety-ridden existence.

I too @Ginny12 like @Barbaraj had to laugh when I read 'unhelpful'! A word that hits those negative worries right on the spot.
For @Constanze I'm learning the rehab facility here and what is here for me to get me up and running. I have a private room. Many of the Docs worry about infection. I am fairly isolated. I have a Nurse who sets up my medication needs. She schedules any readings or tests that need to be taken. I have clinical Nurses Assistants CNAs to help w my personal needs, helping me out of bed, walking me to the bathroom, adjusting bed and physical surrounding for me to get around easily, and linens, bring my meals. I have an Occupational Therapist OT who makes sure I have everyday living instruments to help me manage my rehab; sock sleeve, grabber, Walker, wheelchair, unpack clothes, dress, washup and who check what Doc protocols have been set up for my PHysical therapist PT. A PT has worked w me to decide what therapy I need as my swelling and pain decrease and range of motion improves. Today is my 2nd full day here. the OT got me in & out of bed w little help to no help to guidance, walk the halls w a Walker, back to rest. PT came for bed, standing, chair exercises to walking up 2 steps that I'll need to do when I go home. When I first arrived and got a quick orientation after riding 2 hrs to facility. Everyone has a job and a time to do it. Family & friend visit -So good to have company and belly laugh. There are no community meals, lines for meds, or group therapy. Everything is decided for you in advance by the Doc. Meds are distributed as needed and monitored closely. Patients who have helpers at home go directly from 1-3 days at the surgical hospital. I will have family fly in who can 'work from home' and will assist as I get back to normal at home. I'll probably be here 5 days in total. I'm sitting up now. PT and team cleared me to move around my room unassisted on a walker - specifically to go to the bathroom alone! And now I have grabbers! Watch out!

Attachments

• IMG_2890.JPG
    IMG_2890.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Wow, @wcgirl! Nice looking room and sounds like a great place for initial recovery and rehab. I know it’s not your own comfortable and familiar surroundings, but I think you’ll get a good head start that will stand you in good stead once you’re home. So nice to have someone sorting all your meds for you right away—I think a lot of folks, myself included, felt a bit overwhelmed trying to do this on our own. Best of luck and enjoy you few “spa” days before the return home.

Dear All and help/advice again please,

I wish i could take a holiday from being me... I did say there would be more drama!

What i am going to disclose is 'mad' even by my high standards. Last night in bed the pain woke me up something shocking. What i often do when this happens is rub my leg in a different part to try and distract myself. Last night for some insane reason i thought if i lay on my little spikey pilates ball it would do the trick. I must have dozed and woke up in a panic realizing that i had been laying on it too long. There are little red marks and perhaps x one small area where the skin may have broken. There are 10 days before my op so hopefully the skin will heal but the area is right smack in the middle of my left buttock where i presume the incision will be.

I am worried that the ball may be carrying infection and it gets in my blood stream (this is very unlikely i know).
Should i tell the surgeon? They have already pegged me as anxious but now may thing that i am unstable too. Which i am beginning to think i am.

I am really sorry for this latest plea for help. Has anybody else done anything "mad" in this vein?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom