BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Having a LTHR in Oct

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ginny12, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Lea61

Lea61 member

United States United States
    @Ginny12 .... I know the feeling of wanting to get away from myself... I feel that many times I am my worst enemy. I am sure one of the moderators will answer you, but I know what it's like to reach out and just want to hear another voice other than your own. I think that before surgery, they don't want us to get any infections (which is why they also say no shaving legs either) but from my reading, even that is subjective to the dr. Some are told no shaving the week before, my OS said no shaving 24 hours before and that must be because of the chance to cut the skin while shaving. I would just clean it with soap and water. Like you said, you already doubt that you will get an infection from it and you have plenty of time for it to heal. Just keep checking for any changes or redness.

2. Ginny12

Ginny12 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Lea61

Thanks for your lovely reply. You have hit the nail on the head when you wrote that "... i know what it is like to reach out and just want to hear another voice other than your own". Despite doing my best not to, I am driving my (normally) very supportive husband to distraction with my worries. That is one of the main reasons i am so grateful i have found this forum. Clearly, i am more anxious than a regular person, but to have the non judgemental support is so powerful to help calm me down.

Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  3. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Oh, @Ginny12, I suspect it's absolutely nothing to worry about. Clean the area well and take a deep breath. I am not a medical expert, just a fellow traveler on the hip replacement journey, so I can't say what you should do. I suspect it if were me I would try to stuff this concern down and not get too upset, keep an eye on it but try not to worry unless I noticed it get reddened/swollen. I know I was careless several days before my surgery and burned a finger (small blister resulted) as I was taking a dish out of a hot oven. I didn't think twice about it, just iced it, cursed my clumsiness and carried on. But a finger isn't a buttock, I know, and I don't know what you were told with respect to any minor scrapes like what you're describing. I suspect the doctor didn't think to advise you beforehand about the possibility of pokes on your tush!

4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Aww, Ginny, you dear sweet woman, wish I could give you a big warm hug.
    I just read through your thread and my heart goes out to you in your anxiety.
    You were bravely open and honest here about your emotional struggles.

I think you're gathering that most everyone here was afraid to one degree or another of the surgery. It's normal! Doesn't make it feel any better, but you're not alone, we get it! So please continue to come by and let us walk alongside you up until the day of your surgery. We'll wait for you on the healing side the day of surgery and be your biggest cheerleaders in recovery. That's a promise! I think the stress leading up to surgery can be lonely. At least I found it to be. I held it in around my husband and family. Not because they were critical, but because I didn't want to bother them. I felt weak and even a bit ashamed at times. I had a lot of quiet cries all by myself. Usually in the shower, or my car. It was a release I needed. You may do the same.

Try not to worry about the MRSA / friend incident. Mention it to your doctor or contact person and see what they have to say. You do not need a recliner. Many recover without them. However, you will want a chair that is neither too low, or too soft. It will be difficult to sit comfortably in a chair like that and also to get in and out of it.

As far as dental visits and antibiotics, you will want to speak with your surgeon and your dentist about that.
    Here is an article -
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ic-concerning-prophylactic-antibiotics.26431/

You're funny too! I got a laugh from your comment "I wish I could take a holiday from being me".
    That's a good one! Another of my favorites is "Don't Let Me Get Me." Good one too, right? :yes:
    We're our own worst enemy at times.

I hope you've had a nice weekend so far. Stay in touch.
    Hugs!
    @Ginny12

5. Ginny12

Ginny12 member

Hi @Barbaraj,

The 'injured' area in question is healing very well. I am beyond thrilled as i really did not want (among other things) to have to confess to how it had happened. So i am going to take your advice and try and ignore it unless any sign of infection. But to be honest even me, the Olympic Champion of Pointless Worry, can see it is going to be OK. Thank you.

I like the word 'tush' and thanks for your humor, made me feel lighter when i read your reply.

@Layla

Where to start with such a thoughtful and warm reply? Suffice to say i am very grateful and receiving your 'virtual hug' is just as good as the real thing. Thank you.

My plan for today is not to sustain any self-inflicted injuries!

6. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

Hi @Ginny12
    I cant see that a little prick on the skin, 10 days before your op will be a problem at all but if you are still concerned by it then clean it with a little disinfectant like detol or similar. Maybe a pilates ball without the spikes will help in future. I have a smooth one. its not been used since my surgery but I did find it useful to stretch the back beforehand.
    As others have said we have all had various worries before the surgery but they never came to anything.

7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hey, @Ginny12, glad to hear you've decided not to spool yourself up over the prick. As I said, I'm not in a position to medically advise you but I really do think you'll be fine and can relegate that particular anxiety to the end of the line in terms of your pre-surgical worries. PS Love your term, "Olympic Champion of Pointless Worry". I suspect a lot of folks wanted to claim that title pre-surgery! Truly, you are going to do fine, I'm betting--keep your sense of humor intact, make sure you schedule some things to amuse and distract yourself, and before you know it surgery will be here, over and done, and then the recovery journey will begin. Cheers, and happy Sunday!

8. Ginny12

Ginny12 member

@Barbaraj

Thank you for checking in. There is a lot of ME ME ME going on with Me at the moment. However, i can see that you are in the early stages of recovery and still managing to help others. I hope you are feeling well and thanks again. x

9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Fear of the unknown...it gives us all anxiety, at times.
    As everyone says...in hindsight, the waiting is the worse part...for our psyche.
    Hope today is a Good Day!:console2:

10. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Hi Ginny! Taking a quick break from work and catching up on your email.

We are all routing for you here as know what you are going through. Are you having the posterior approach as I noticed you mentioned the left buttock when discussing the "Pilate Ball incident"! If so, do invest in some icepacks like the Thermapack ones. They will drive your husband mad getting them in and out of the freezer for you and take about 2 hours to freeze so get four… I had hardly any bruising after my op (on the NHS) and put it down to icing almost from when I woke up.. nearly 12 weeks on and working I am using them at my side and they are keeping things under control.

Also stay ahead of the pain meds and make sure that the hospital gives them to you on time. Ask to see your meds chart - something I wish I had done earlier!

If you get frustrated and want a private chat I am on PM to help. Other people have done this for me and been brilliant so time to pay it back… I am in the UK so on your timezone...

Re your question about waiting time - 2 years from when I was first diagnosed. Grrgh! I think my recovery would have been faster if I could have done it sooner as muscles I have not used for a while now waking up and don't like their new role in helping me walk normally after limping for years! But I am "educating" them daily and gradually they are ceasing the grumbling at me.. :)

But, back to YOU. You are almost there and it will be worth it… Just diary some of the aches and pains you have now so that, on the less-good days of recovery (hopefully there won't be many) you can remember back to just how bad it was before the op… Hubby reminds me of when I was yelling out a certain word beginning with F every time we went over one of many Surrey's potholes on the way to the operation!

Post op, Schedule in friends, neighbours and anyone basically with a friendly pulse to help you post-op… Arrange to go out when you are fit to do so, preferably with girlfriends as this takes you out of the house and the pressure off hubs… Just a thought! I even had some friends round four weeks post-op when hubby was at a rehearsal and we had oven-baked pizzas, red wine and basic salads. No-one minded and it was good fun. Friends were only too pleased to see I was in recovery and very helpful with their time.

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ginny12

Ginny12 member

@Bionic, @SurreyGirl, @Mojo333 and anybody else who has been kind enough to post me replies, thank you very much for the recent posts. I am having a mini break for the next few days so will not be able to check in, but, the wonderful support and sentiments will keep me motivated for a positive future.

@SurreyGirl when you said "We are all routing for you ...". Made me want to put my big girl pants on and not let my fellow BoneSmarties down. My ambition is to be like yourself and everybody else who has had the op and still wants to help others who have not and are struggling.

I wish everybody well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mojo333

I get the need for a break.
    Check back in when you are up to it!
    You are going to do fine!:friends:

13. Ginny12

Ginny12 member

Dear All,

Returned from a mini break with my husband and dog. Weather still good in my part of the UK which is just as well as the caravan we booked was not as described on Airbnb. Lovely time anyway.

Able to distract myself a bit but still obsessed with avoiding injury pre op. Doing well until we got home and my dogs claw caught me slightly and kicked me off in a spiral of worry. The only good thing about it is that before that i had convinced myself that i had a throat infection. Which by some miracle i have cured by the worry of the dog incident!

I would not wish my personality on anybody. It is exhausting and boring (for myself and others) to have to listen to my never ending worries. Apologies to all. So why do i bare my soul like this in a public forum? Mainly because when i reread some of the things i have written when i am less anxious (it does happen occasionally!) i can see that the vast majority of my worries NEVER HAPPEN.

Thanks for 'listening'.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hey, @Ginny12, I think your way of coping with anxiety and stress is just worrying obsessively and constantly, and that's okay. If writing stuff down somehow neutralizes your fears and makes them less anxiety producing, I say "write away", and as much and as often as you like. I will certainly confess to a completely irrational fear pre-surgery about the whole spinal/sedation issue. Looking back, I can see that it almost unhinged me and by the time surgery day arrived, I was sniveling to the anesthesiologist and being a complete baby, in absolute fear that somehow I was going to wake up in the middle of surgery and hear loud noises, people yelling and the sound of power tools! I am an intelligent and rational woman for the most part, so this was so very unlike me.

But stress often brings out stuff in folks that otherwise we're able to bury with activity, distraction and faking it. So, please don't beat yourself up for worrying so much--it goes with the territory of pre-surgery anxiety. And although I've not read all the posts on this forum, I've read enough of the pre-surgical postings to know that everybody is afraid and just coping in their own fashion. There really is no judgment here, ever, and folks will read your posts and be positive and encouraging. If it helps you, that's all that's important. Again, hang in there, just a little while to go and then you can turn into one of those "been there, done" persons who's made it through surgery and is focused, with massive relief, on the light at the end of the recovery tunnel!

15. Ginny12

Ginny12 member

Dear @Barbaraj,

Thank you for your lovely post. You phrase things so perfectly. 'Unhinged' is actually how i feel at the moment over this operation. Today i found out that the repeat swabs for MRSA were negative. A normal person would be delighted and accept that. Not me. Niggles that it could still be incubating on my skin. I am fully aware that this is unlikely, but, awareness not enough to shut the worry Gremlins up.

Also, another concern regarding a nurse taking my blood today. She did wash her hands but palpated my vein with no gloves on and then took blood before i had the wit to ask her to put gloves on. This is the worry de jour! What if she has MRSA.

I know nobody can help me with all this but again i am writing this down to try and take the terror out of my catastrophic thinking.

Thank you for the epidural anecdote, i bet you wasn't 'sniveling' but thanks for sharing. I hope that you are feeling well and recovering as best you can.

16. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hi, @Ginny12, I am not sure my words are helpful to you or anyone else, but I realize the constant reassurance I received on this forum in the weeks leading up to my surgery were super helpful and helped to keep me from spinning out of control. Kind of you to say I wasn't sniveling but the truth is I was weeping and sounding borderline hysterical! I am sorry that you are unable to stop fixating on such small and undoubtedly meaningless worries, but I think understanding that this is what you're doing and that it's your coping mechanism will go far to help you survive. Doesn't mean you'll not worry and obsess, but writing down these little niggling thoughts and then moving on is a healthy response, from my perspective. Anyway, chin up--another day closer to surgery day and then end of such negative and scary worries. After surgery I'm hoping all your energy and focus will go into the healing process. It hasn't been awful for me and I've progressed steadily and well, but it does take all of my time and focus and that's a good thing perhaps--not a whole lot of time left over to worry about silly details! And glad the MRSA scare got cleared up so satisfactorily.

17. EL11

EL11 senior

I was convinced I had a UTI pr-surgery and freaked out about the turnaround at the lab like I wouldn't know in time. I did know in time and I didn't have one. Also, my cat bit me and broke the skin a week before my date. It's something he rarely does but it's happened once in a great while when he's sitting next to me when I'm typing on my laptop and my arms are moving around. I ordered a special gel to put under the Band-Aid, I was incredibly nervous about it. The lead time for the surgery was three months, and what if they didn't take me? I heard a story somewhere (here?) about a woman who was turned away at the 11th hour because she had a bad sunburn.

I was not worried about getting the spinal per se because I could always croak out "More drugs" mid-operation, but with both THRs, I opted for the spinal and I remember nothing, I was so zoned out on whatever they gave me intravenously (Versed?) Oh yeah, for the first one I remember "Sit on the edge of the table" or WTTE. The cortisone shots I'd requested to tide me over before I got the operation were a hundred times more traumatic.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Mojo333

The Wait is the Worst.:oyvey:

This surgery gave me my life back...and you are going to get yours back too.:ok:
    Hope your weekend is sweet!:SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Ginny12

Ginny12 member

@Barbaraj, your words are extremely helpful to me. And without the support i am receiving from you and others i can assure you i would be doing a lot more freaking out than your alleged 'sniveling'. Your kindness in bothering to try and reassure when you are so soon post op yourself really means so much.

@EL11 thank you for your post and sharing your pre-op scares. Most of the time i would completely ignore things like a cat bite. But with this op because of all the precautions to prevent skin trauma i am amazed anybody actually goes ahead! Thanks. I am pleased your op went ahead and i hope your recovery going well.

@Mojo333 You lovely, lovely lady. Thanks for checking in, stress level moderate as i write, which for me, under the circumstances is pretty good!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

Hi @Ginny12
    I'm glad you are finding some support before your op. It really does help to talk things through with others who have been down this road before you. It's interesting you talking about skin trauma before the op as it's not something I ever gave a thought to. It's just as well that my next op hasn't been scheduled yet as my new kitten has torn my legs to ribbons. Naughty kitty.

Not long now until your op and then hopefully you will realise that most of your fears are unfounded.

Sending best wishes for next week.

• Friendly Friendly x 1