THR Hate Opioids

connie.m

Country
United States United States
Scheduled for THR / anterior / makoplasty (robotic) in 3 weeks. once I go home, I REALLY want to manage pain with tylenol and ibuprofen (and maybe muscle relaxants). In the past, this has worked for me (breast augmentation / hand surgery / deviated septum). I need some cheerleaders out there who have done this with their recovery. I am reading that people are so happy they are of narcs after 3 and 4 weeks. I can't imagine using them for more than a couple days.

Everyone's different ...

I was required to stay overnight one night (Meficare).

10 mg Oxy in recovery room, I think 5 mg in room four hours later, and 5 mg around 10 pm. No narcotics after that. 1000 mg Tylenol ever six hours after that, then started weaning off tylenol, as well.

Here‘s my thread for your light reading

I'm not opposed to using opiods when I'm in pain and I was completely off them within two weeks. if you want to avoid them as much as possible ice, ice, ice. :ice::ice:

Hello @connie.m - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

The question of pain relief is something you need to discuss with your surgeon.

Hip replacement is major surgery and it is likely to cause you more pain than your previous surgeries did.
BoneSmart recommends taking your pain medications as prescribed, because being in pain can slow down your progress.

While Tylenol and Ibuprofen have worked for you in the past, Ibuprofen is not without its own dangers. It increases a tendency to bleed and you will probably be on blood thinners for a while after your surgery, so you shouldn't also take Ibuprofen.
This recent study also highlighted other potential dangers:
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

I've had both hips replaced and can not take any opioids. There are plenty of alternatives. Discuss your concern with your surgeon and the anaesthetist. And as FCBayern says - ice as often as you can. Ice is a natural pain killer.

My surgery is slated for Feb 13 at 0930. Right hip.

Also, I have not yet run across anyone who has had the robotic replacement done. Am I to assume everyone is getting this now-a-days?

I think you will be fine. The hospital worked to manage my pain with a cocktail of medications, narcotics were only a part of it. Upon discharge I was given a good plan on how to taper dosage as the pain level went down until it was as required. I was down to a low dose as required very quickly.

Like you I didn't want to be taking them for a long period of time so I tapered just as fast as I could.

I had a Mako robotic assist. There are animations and real surgeries of robotic assist available on you tube. A search of "Mako total hip" will bring up plenty if you are interested.

I have not yet run across anyone who has had the robotic replacement done. Am I to assume everyone is getting this now-a-days?
No this is not the norm. Yes, some surgeons are using Mako but the equipment is quite expensive.

Also, I have not yet run across anyone who has had the robotic replacement done. Am I to assume everyone is getting this now-a-days?

I had the MAKO™ Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery (18 Dec 2019). That's all my doctor does (Dr Paul Jacob). His website has a decent explanation on it's usage and advantages.

I think if you read the threads here you will find many of us had regular hip replacements. Both of mine were done without robotic assistance with great results and smooth recoveries. It depends on the surgeon and their skill. My OS is well respected and has a waiting list of 5m to schedule replacement surgery. I trust him implicitly since first he came highly recommended and then he did all my 4 replacements.

I didn't have any robots for my THR's. I didn't want any pain meds after my first THR. Not long after my return to my room I was up and walking the floor a couple of laps. By the time I returned to my room I knew I made a big mistake and quickly requested them. With both of mine I wasn't taking them very long after I got home. I know some have reactions but I didn't have any problems with the opioids.

No, it's not the norm yet. The robot assists the surgeon. The skill of your surgeon is still the best guarantee of a good outcome.

I will have robotic surgery on Friday. I have a leg length difference and some other issues. It was a longer wait for this surgery. I am hoping for a shorter duration of pain meds, too. I have an ice therapy system, and back up frozen gel packs.

No matter which procedure, it takes about a year for all to heal.

Thinking of you today and will be looking for you on the Healing Side.
Bye bye hip pain:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks