Has anyone's had microfracture surgery and it failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tori

Country
United States United States
Hi I'm 42 looking into a TKR because microfracture surgery didn't work. I hope the surgery hasn't hurt my knee for a successful TKR.

Thank you for any input. So glad to find this group

Shannon from Oklahoma

Hello, Shannon, and welcome to the forum! We are very glad that you have found us.

There are many folks here who have had a microfracture procedure done---my OS did it on me and told me that it would not be a permanent fix. It did give me seven years---and then I had a BTKR. After my Microfracture, I was totally non-weight bearing for almost ten weeks. I knew that the procedure was not the end-all---it was just a delay in the inevitable, but it did give me time.

I would not worry much about what the microfracture could do---the saw off the two parts of the two bones so that part of the knee is actually not present. The BTKR that I had truly did work miracles with my life.

If you take a look at this picture, you will see that two parts of the bones that are in the knee joint are sawed off and metal implants---along with a plastic spacer---are used in there place.
ai1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa394_referee54_tkrprosthesis_zps8b364dc9.jpg

I was actually better before the microfracture surgery but this clears it up, thank you. I had the microfracture 6 months ago. The dr said that he was going to clean things up. Well all he did was take all the cartilage out that was hanging. He sad I had 3 lesions, one in each compartment of the knee. He said he drilled a lot but I had way to much cartilage gone to graft. I was off my feet for 5 weeks then started PT. It was unbearable but I tried for 3 weeks then I was waking all the sudden there was pain in my leg. I couldn't put weight on it. Then he put me in a brace 4 weeks, tried therapy again for 3 weeks, then they tried steps. I had a LR because my patellas are off the xrays lol But it hurt so bad the PT told me to go home so I've been walking with cane.

Tried all the shots. Can walk short distance with a brace.

It's been 6 long months now I'm searching for an OS. I have found 3 not sure which one to go with - one does ingrowth no cement, one minimally invasive thigh sparing. I hope I can figure this out with your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not tell us more about yourself and your microfracture---when you had it, what was going on prior to it, etc? What has your OS said about it---and have you fully gone through recovery? Please keep coming back and give us more information so we can help you out even more.

Well said, Tim. Microfracture is not very invasive and definitely won't interfere with the TKR at all.

I had microfracture done in January 2012. I had numerous procedures before the microfracture-OATS, lateral release, meniscus repairs, etc. My ortho told me in 2012 that I needed a knee replacement but because I was only 42 at the time he refused to do a replacement. He offered me microfracture and because I was so desperate for pain relief I agreed. The surgery did not work. I did not get any pain relief. I found out through a second opinion that microfracture should not have been performed because of past procedures. My research said that microfracture can be successful but an experienced and honest surgeon should perform it.

welcome 30.jpg
@DanaDelight, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. Sounds like it may be time to look for a surgeon who is more interested in your quality of life than your age. We have lots of members who are in their 30s and 40s. There really is no good reason not to have a TKR if that's what it's going to take to be pain free.

Here is a link to a form in our Library you should consider downloading and printing out to see how your knee is impacting your activities and abilities. This should help you in determining if a replacement is in your future: Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee This is a form for you to print off. Then you fill it in and add up the numbers. The more you have in columns 3 and 4, the worse is your quality of life. You can even show the form to the surgeon - it will save a lot of time trying to explain things to him.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way. Take care and keep us posted. We care.

@bottomshollow I have found a new surgeon and am scheduled for a TKR on June 9th.

The surgeon that performed the microfracture was someone that I had built a good relationship with and he had always been honest with me about outcomes of procedures. When I went to him in 2012 and told him that I had reached the end of my rope with pain and lack of mobility he agreed that I needed a knee replacement. I told him about falling around my swimming pool during the summer because my knee locked up. I sustained two broken front teeth, a broken nose and a fractured cheek bone. He stood in front of me and said your only option is knee replacement but I am not going to do it because of your age, your weight and you are not handicapped enough. I wasn't walking with the aid of cane or crutches.

The weight issue astounded me because I am 5'9 and weigh 165 pounds. I knew it was time to find someone new. I personally believe he did not want to do a knee replacement on me because once it was done then I would not need his services any more. Without a new knee he could get me in the office every couple of years and make money off of procedures that would only last a year or so. I walked out of his office and have consulted three other doctors and all agreed a TKR is my only option. So I am moving forward with the procedure and looking forward to regaining my life back.

Thank you for the support and I look forward to sharing my experiences and reading about the journey of other knee replacement family members.

good report 2.jpg
@DanaDelight, I am so glad to hear this. We sometimes forget that doctors are just human beings with all the failings that go with it. I'll be keeping up with your thread and your progress as you start this important journey.

It's been 6 long months now I'm searching for an OS. I have found 3 not sure which one to go with - one does ingrowth no cement, one minimally invasive thigh sparing.
Well let me try and help you.

First definitely don't go with the uncemented knee. They have very poor outcomes and tend to come loose.

Then about the minimally invasive - there actually is no such thing as the wound always has to be big enough to get the implant and the instruments in! Logical really! But most surgeons do a reduced incision which is about 4-5".

The 'thigh sparing' is also called a 'quads snip' which once upon a time was used routinely to give the surgeon better access to the joint but then people woke up to the fact that it actually impeded recovery in a big way so it fell out of favour. Good knee surgeons nowadays only use it if they are doing a revision (a redo) of a knee and for various reasons do need the extra room to move around in. But for routine first time knee replacements it's not used.

What you need is a comprehensive list of questions to ask him which you can find here Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis.

Then some serious reading!

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

I had microfracture. It was a very long and difficult recovery and part of why I've waited so long to have another procedure. I needed the microfracture to deal with the loss of articular cartilage that happened shortly after a meniscus trim procedure. I'm not really sure the microfracture worked as the MRIs never showed much infill, but it did get me back walking, whereas I had been on crutches for months previously. I kept waiting for that miracle discovery to be made but so far it hasn't and life keeps passing me by. After microfracture none of the cartilage restoration procedures work very well so I'm scheduled for hopefully a PKR on June 2.

I saw many, many different OS and had a bunch of different opinions on what should be done. I've had some bad experiences and some pretty good ones (especially with PT). I hope I've chosen well this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie