TKR Has anyone had nausea

:hi: Hi Nomorearthritis,
Wondering how your visit with the Consultant went on the 20th? Hopefully well and reassuring as far as your progress goes. Happy Two Month Anniversary! Please let us know how you're doing as time allows.
Until next time...wishing you all the best!
@Nomorearthritis

Hi Cancan girl. Sorry I’ve only just realised I had some replies to my messages! I’m now 11 weeks post op. The nausea did eventually go soon after my previous post and my general upset stomach. I lost some weight which was a good side effect, but my appetite is back now! 8 weeks post op seemed to be a turning point for everything. I felt much better generally and also started sleeping better - although I still wake up a couple of times in the night. My knee gets very stiff now after sitting for a while and during the night We went to watch my granddaughters in a dance competition last weekend and I was sitting for about 5/6 hours and didn’t get up at all for a walk around, which was so stupid. By the time we got up to leave I could hardly walk. I won’t do that again! I’m still struggling with doing enough exercise to improve my ROM and managing the swelling that won’t go down, but all in all it’s been so worth it. Whereabouts in the U.K. are you? We live in Chineham just outside Basingstoke in North Hampshire. We Brits are few and far between on here! How are you doing? I see you are about a month behind me.

Hi Layla
thanks for your enquiry. The consultant was pleased with my progress but still saying to push through the pain with the exercises. I’m not pushing myself as hard as before as my knee is still swollen. My knee bend is coming along well but nothing happening with my extension. I feel very well in myself. I saw someone today who had her op 2 weeks after me (we are on holiday in France at the moment) and she showed me her scar. It was awful - really wavy and no-where near straight, and out here in France she went to a rehab centre for 5 weeks afterwards as she lives alone. She said they could tell who had had that particular surgeon as all their scars were the same. They called it his signature scar! I don’t quite know what to make of it as they will all be left with a very visible unsightly scar.

Your 8 week turning point sounds like my recovery. My tkr was the week after yours. My second one.
I had the nausea, no appetite, weight loss, sleep issues until I came off and/or reduced the pain meds.
I'm still having tightness and swelling because my activity increased. That will hinder your ROM temporarily.

I forced my lazy self to our gym this morning just to rock the bike pedals. Slowly I was able to go around and continued slowly for 10 min.
That did loosen up the knee. Then I walked slowly for 10 min. Icing and elevating now.
Hoping this helps move the fluid around.
Your extension will happen. First tkr it took about 4-5 months to completely flatten.
Sounds like you're doing great!

I’m still struggling with doing enough exercise to improve my ROM and managing the swelling that won’t go down
Your swelling is coming from your excessive PT. Exercise doesn't improve your ROM, time does. Your knee is still a baby and needs to be treated very gently so it can heal. Working it too much keeps it inflamed and swollen, as you have found out. Just doing your normal daily activities is all the PT a healing knee needs. Read other threads and see how the majority of the members are recovering. Most are doing only gentle movements.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and enjoyed your time in France.
It sounds like your energy is increasing and hopefully you're pleased with your progress this far.
Your "signature scar" story made me chuckle. You'd hope after enough practice the surgeon would hone his skill.
Have a wonderful week!
@Nomorearthritis

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties