• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Has anyone had a bone graft with their replacement?

321Evie

Country
Australia Australia
I just came from a pre-op appointment with my surgeon as was informed they will be using part of my femoral head bone to graph onto my pelvis (acetabulum). This could alter my recovery slightly....Has anyone had this done before?

59billy

senior
Country
United States United States
Yes, my be surgeon did exactly what you're describing. That wasn't the original plan, but during the actual surgery he decided it was necessary. I wasn't given any extra precautions, and recovery has been relatively easy.

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
321Evie

321Evie

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks @59billy! Glad to hear it was a non issue for you. I just sounds so extra and I wasn’t expecting it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello! It sounds like you have a thorough surgeon who is ensuring you have a stable implant experience. I'd be worried too, though, until it all sunk in. Unexpected stuff rocks our world a little bit.. Best of luck with your wait until September for your THR. It can be so difficult to wait.
If you'd like more explanation in regards to the bone graft, we could ask our forum nurse to weigh in?
You can page her, like I will page you now, like this @321Evie

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know of hospitals where, in the operating theatre, they keep a great big freezer with loads of femoral heads in it! These are routinely tested for bacterial contamination and other issues and then sterilized and marked as read for use. As a theatre nurse, it was part of my job to mill these heads so the surgeon could use them for any area he deemed it appropriate. Bone grafts are an essential part of hip replacement!

djklaugh

post-grad
Country
@321Evie Not for my hip replacements but when I had my right shoulder joint replaced the surgeon did need to do a bone graft. Right after the surgery he told me I'd have a life time restriction of not lifting more than 25 lbs because of the graft. However when I saw him 2 years later about my left shoulder he reviewed x-rays of the right one and with a big grin said I could ignore the weight lifting restriction as the bone graft had worked really well!

OP
OP
321Evie

321Evie

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks @CriketHip I’d love to hear from the nurse, what’s her name here or I can try and find it...

@Josephine the nurse was explaining the bone bank and if I’d like to be a doner, then she started reading my notes and said the surgeon will be using it to graft instead. The xrays show where I have these subchrondal cysts. I just worry because there is so much damage there already it’s only going to compound the issue trying to fix it.

@diklaugh that’s fabulous! No handstands for you though okay?!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It looks like you found her! :yay: And did you see her reply to you at post #5? Can you imagine those femoral heads lined up in a freezer?
I think all of us with arthritis and in bad enough shape to warrant a THR have those Subchondral cysts.
Hopefully what they are trying to do is re enforce the boney structure in your hip socket.
'It's difficult before surgery, isn't it? Everything is so worrisome. I'm sorry you are worrying. :console2:

Ptarmigan

senior
Country
@321Evie I think CricketHip is onto something here. Even people who aren’t normally worriers might find that worry creeps up on them when, if they’re like me - and maybe you - they’re pretty much always short on sleep, achy (or worse), legitimately concerned about upcoming surgery, and trying to come to grips with many unknowns.

I just found out that bone grafting can be part of many hip replacement surgeries. I don’t understand anything about how it’s done though, so I don’t understand what that means. I have an appointment next week with my OS. I am going to ask him about his plan (if any) to address both the bone spurs and bone cysts I saw on my X-rays while he’s doing the replacement. I know I want the healthiest hip possible to rely on from now on, and the more he can help me, the better - or at least, that’s the way I am thinking right now. When I hear something that worries me, I just keep asking questions until I am not worried anymore. It might make me a bit of a bother :) but I find doctors are really willing to educate me.

59billy

senior
Country
Around here we pretty often compare joint replacement to carpentry. In actual carpentry, sometimes we can just replace a rotten board, but other times we have to add another board to tie everything together and ensure that the repair is strong enough. With a hip replacement, sometimes the existing bone isn't robust enough to support the new cup, so the surgeon builds the area up via bone grafting. The result is potentially stronger than the "original equipment".

OP
OP
321Evie

321Evie

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks everyone!
@59billy that’s exactly how I’ve been looking at it, a house renovation full of wood rot :)

@Ptarmigan yes, I thought I had all my worries under control, but this came as a surprise. I will keep asking questions and voice my concerns. Happy to have a safe place here to vent!

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I just worry because there is so much damage there already it’s only going to compound the issue trying to fix it.
Sweetheart, he will access the cyst cavity when he prepares the acetabulum for the implant. So don't see this as an additional procedure apart from the hip replacement. It's not. It's just part of the whole procedure. Okay?

OP
OP
321Evie

321Evie

Country
Australia Australia
I’m livid because I was just informed by my surgeon’s nurse I won’t be able to bare any weight for 6 weeks [emoji35]
I don’t like getting drip fed. I don’t like surprises.
Our house is full of stairs.
8 to the front door.
18 from the basement garage
Another 18 from main floor to bedrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
That was rather unkind of them to not tell you this earlier, but I suppose they feel like there is plenty of time between now and your surgery to drop these little things on you. (sarcasm here) This happens sometimes and it can throw your plans for a loop. You'll be making a lot of these little adjustments as you go through the process of preparing for surgery and recovery.

Figure out a good place in your house to create a "recovery nest" for yourself. Ideally it would be a spot where you can spend the day (and even better if you can sleep there too at night), close to the kitchen and a bathroom, and where you must do minimal or no stairs. You'll need a comfortable couch or recliner where you can rest with your leg elevated and well iced. You'll probably want a television and other things to occupy your time when you're awake. You really won't be wanting to attempt those 18 stairs to the upper floor on a regular basis for a while when you come home from the hospital. Although you might be able to do it, it will tire you out so much that it's not worth it.

If there is not a bathroom on the main living area, you could use a bedroom upstairs. But you'll want to set up a small refrigerator or cooler for someone to stock up daily with your snacks and ice. With a little planning, you can make this work just fine. Remember, it's only temporary and you'll have that wonderful new hip for many years to come.

OP
OP
321Evie

321Evie

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks @Jamie,
Do they not understand how disruptive this will be to our daily routines? School runs and groceries at a minimum. My husband works overseas every few weeks. We don’t have extended family or nannies at our disposal. Even to get some sort of of home service through our government takes weeks just to get an assessment let alone the actual help.

I’m just venting here. I do appreciate your suggestions.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@321Evie welcome! I just had a day exactly how you are feeling right now, so do you mind if I join you on the venting sofa? I know exactly how you feel about all your responsibilities; I know EXACTLY how you feel about all these mini bombshells dropping like water torture. I suspect they don't actually know the disruption they are causing, but only because it's not what they are paid to do. They are paid to get you the Very Best hip for your future that it is within their power to deliver. If that means non-weight-bearing, to them it's just another day at the office.

Hubby working overseas-- is it too late for him to reschedule anything? (I'm just grasping at straws here and you are probably way ahead of me in your brainstorming.) Are your kids the lovely kind who have many school friends whose parents would not only make the morning and afternoon runs for you, but take the kids to sports practice etc/invite over for a whole weekend? Can you reschedule the hip to coincide with a long school break? Or even a short one might be better than nothing. Can you drive without putting weight on the leg? Can you crutch hop your way to the car? Could you practise doing that now so your kids and neighbors can get the laughing fits out of the way? Can you splurge on grocery delivery just for the times hubby is overseas? Hoping he can help out a little when he's at home.

This is all just fun and games brainstorming, and I hope it can provide a springboard for your own thoughts!

OP
OP
321Evie

321Evie

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks @zauberflöte when my husband gets home we will have to brainstorm and cancel some things which included a weekend away We planned my surgery in conjunction with the school holidays here, but that is only for 2 weeks.
I don’t like asking for help, usually because I’ve always been let down in the past. I’m sure some friends can help here and there. We just have to figure things out as we go.
I spoke to my private health insurance and gave them an earful. It’s an elective surgery here in Australia so you have to wait a full year before being covered. I imagine this new problem came about during this time. Had I been able to get this surgery a year ago I bet it would have been just the hip replacement.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@321Evie glad to help! Ugh, the wait. It's elective in all US health insurances I've ever had also, but all we wait on is the OS scheduler.
Just a note about those "kids' friends' moms". My kids were not the type that I could rely on any friend to want them for more than a sleepover. It depends on the families too. My elder kid's best friend's dad traveled alot too, and that family had three kids. Also they lived walking distance to school and we didn't. I tried year after year to join carpools, but it seemed a prerequisite that Mommy had a minivan. There I was driving my ancient Volvo wagon. I did get a minivan though! At age 65!!!! :loll:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Oh no @321Evie , that really is a shocking discovery.
I hope you and your husband are able to figure out the logistics. Of course you want to vent, I want to vent for you, too!
You’ll get it figured out but I’m sorry that you need to do so!
Good luck! I’m anxious to hear your updates and how you get this handled. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Att52
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom