• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Has anyone had 3 knee replacements - same knee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixS

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I would definately go with The Mayo people if they take you. They are world class medicine all the way.
I would doubt any Orthos are lurkers. They have surgery to do, and that is what they like to do. Cut.
Besides, nobody knows your name do they?
No REAL doctor would take anything out on you for commenting on a forum, and most Docs wouldn't want to know what some of us actually think of them.....
Your case sounds like a complicated one. I'll bet they take your case.
Best,
Sandy

OP
OP
G

Gabby2011

Hi, there. I saw Doc #2 (the one who did revised my partial into a full). He took new xrays, compared them to the old ones post surgery and showed me the shadow where the cement on the post meets my bone, the shadow on the ledge and then on the bone scan showed me how my knee is "all lit up." He feels soooo bad. He said it wasn't anything I did and he said it isn't anything he did. He also said it isn't because I have bad bones. He doesn't know why it's loose - but that the pain I've described as "shin splint pain up high" and the pain beneath the knee is exactly how it will feel if it is loose. He's ordered some xray where they aspirate the knee then inject some dye in it and the dye will go exactly to the spots where it is loose so we know how much we are talking about.

He also said that to fix it - to be sure that it's fixed for good, rods would need to be placed deep in the upper and lower leg.

Does anyone have experience with these rods? Is the recovery time different? More pain? Will I even know they are there after a while?

Thanks for the help.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
"Rods" is a bit of a mis-speak too. He just means that the prosthesis has longer stems into the bone. They do this sometimes when there's been a loosening or several previous surgeries. They look like this

Usually the ends of the stems come in a variety of lengths and are attached to the business ends of the prostheses at the table. There is a process called 'cold welding' which means the two parts are tightened until they are irretrievably fixed together. But it means the surgeon can custom make your knee at the table.

And there should be no extended healing time and nor any feeling the items afterwards.

milanfire2

Country
Wow thanks Jo thats just what my dr. is going to do on my revision of left knee. Hadnt seen a picture of any like it before but he explained to me what it would be like ,thanks for xray now I can see what he means. Gabby Iam with you going in Tues. 8:30 am. Good Luck MY Prayers are with You

RestAssured

Forum Advisor
Country
Gabby, I will have about the same type of knee put in for my revision. I am looking forward to getting this one out that is infected so I can get on with the "business of living the rest of my life!":biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Paisleydimples
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom