THR Has anybody in the UK had success with having a riser recliner chair post op?

GraphicAli

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm about to have my first hip operation and I've been trying to work out where to sleep and sit etc. I've come across a few people post op who have riser recliners and swear by them. Just wondering if anyone in the uk has done this and whether they rented or bought them. I tried to have a look at some online but the company wanted to come and see me and would give me no idea of delivery or price before coming, they then insisted that my partner be there when they came, it all sounded a bit dodgy to me!!

@GraphicAli Many of our members swear by their recliner. Sleep can be elusive in the early days.

Having said that I didn't have a recliner post either THR and I was fine. Use lots of pillows to get comfy in bed. Nap during the day if you can.

I really don't know of anywhere you can rent a chair. But I do know they are pretty expensive.

@Jaycey yes I saw that people were raving about them and thought it would be good to look into but I think price might be prohibitive for me and like you say, getting a few extra pillows might do the trick for me. I never sleep on my back, which I think you are supposed to do after the surgery as far as I know so it's worrying me at the moment.

Check with your surgeon about back sleeping. Do you know what approach they are using (posterior, anterior or lateral)? Many surgeons are no longer imposing restrictions.

If you must back sleep you will get used to it. At first it's a bit of a pain. Start trying to back sleep now so that it will be easy post op. I had to back sleep post my spinal surgery. So by the time I had my first THR it was easy.

I'm not or never was a back sleeper but it's amazing what you can get used to when you're tired. I had a recliner but I didn't sleep in it, always went to bed every night.

I am in the States but just picked up a Lift chair recliner last week. I was fortunate to find one on a social media "for sale" website. Never used, in excellent condition and bought it for one fourth the price of new. I was not sure if I would use it post op but a good friend that has had 2 THR, a knee replacement and a shoulder surgery recommended I try one. SO glad I did as while my THR is next week, I pinched a nerve in my back and leg 2 days ago and could not sleep in my bed. The lift recliner worked out fantastically. I slept in it last night very comfortably. The chair has a zero gravity feature that allowed the nerve to relax and I woke up being able to move.
Originally, I was going to donate the chair once I recovered from my THR. But, it is so comfortable, I have decided to keep it! :)

hi graphic Ali I’m scheduled for thr on 4th August and in UK and like you wondering whether I should try and hire a rise recliner chair for my recovery - anything to make things easier!!

One of my biggest worries was about sleeping on my back, but I found that after surgery I just drifted in and out of sleep and that sort of got me used to it. Now at day four post op I’m much more used to it although I wake up fairly often but manage to drift off again. Can’t wait to cuddle up on my side again though!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom