THR Hard to know how much walking is good for me<

@Brokefemur I had no idea that fall did this to you!!! I'm so sorry that you had to go through this and now recovering all over again. I can only imagine that talking to a lawyer is an extremely good option for you. I'm actually speechless. I so hope that your pain is controlled, that you're getting tons of rest and keeping the ice handy. Keep us updated when you feel up to it. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you as always!

Oh, you poor dear! That is awful and sounds like it would be excruciatingly painful. I understand your frustration as this accident could have been avoided it seems. Thankfully surgery is behind you and you're finding it less painful than the first time around. We're here for support and encouragemen as you're healing. Please stay in touch. We care.
Hugs and prayers for smooth sailing from here on out. :console2:
@Brokefemur

Thanks so much for your support! I was in pain a month before the revision so am having much less pain now. See doctor next week so hopefully xrays will be good and I heal from this. He used a cadaver to fix the fracture site. Ever heard of this? I haven't.

Seeing lawyer Friday. I'll post his opinion. I sure shouldn't have to pay for this and Medicare insurance doesn't cover everything

Let's ask @Josephine to address your question regarding the use of of a cadaver for the fracture site repair.
She's the one with the experience in the surgery arena. I've tagged her and will look forward to her response with you. :wink:

@Brokefemur I'm not familiar with using cadaver parts so can't answer that! I'm glad the pain is better this time around; let us know how the OS appt goes next week.

He used a cadaver to fix the fracture site. Ever heard of this? I haven't.
Oh I have. Provided the bone is properly cleansed and treated, it's perfectly okay to use. But it's much more common to use bone salvaged from living patients such as femoral heads from those having had hip replacements. These get treated and frozen and held for use on demand. A femoral head, I believe, can cost around £800-1,000. But cadaveric bone is much, much cheaper.

Why are you seeing a lawyer? Is it about the use of cadaveric bone?

Thanks Josephine. Seeing lawyer cause Pjysical therapist told me to have a seat but chair had wheels and he didn't warn me. It shot out behind me and I fell on my butt and damaged my hip repair.

Hi friends! Just an update. 12 days after surgery, minimal pain, have to use walker and minimal weight on hip for at least 5 more weeks till I see surgeon again. X ray looked good when I saw him yesterday. Saw lawyer yesterday and he thinks I have a good case against physical therapist who directed me to a chair on wheels. It will pay my medical bills and Medicare and lawyer will get most of it. I just want therapist held accountable for his actions and what it did to me. I am thankful I'm healing well so far but this is hard. Housebound mostly once again.

@Brokefemur I am so sorry to read your thread and read about what happened at the PT office. Good for you for contacting an attorney, as well you should have. I wonder, did the PT person do the ROM and stretching after you fell? Surely not! But the way I read it, it sure sounds like he did and I am so so sorry for you..
But nothing should surprise us any longer... aargh!
I am glad that the revision went well and you are healing.. :elevate:

He did do it after I fell. Such an idiot! I NEVER wanted to go to pt and regret going. I didn't have any bad pain after my fall umtil later that day so didn't know I was hurt badly till later.

Hello @Brokefemur i am so sorry to read of your troubles. How negligent of the PT. i hope you get some answers from your lawyer. Sometimes i do wonder how these people are allowed to practice on vulnerable patients. I experienced much conflicting advice bordering on dangerous when i was in hospital had i not known what i have learned from Bonesmart i think I could quite easily have got in trouble. I am delighted you are healing well after your surgery

Oh my gosh, even if you weren't hurting- how in the heck did he think- after an abrupt fall, a hard sit down so soon after surgery warranted some stretching and ROM?
there are some nice, sensible and gentle Physical therapists and I would think they would be railing against the ones giving them such a bad image! Are you able to manage your pets okay? So glad to read that you only have minimal pain.. that's a positive.

I'm able to care for my pets thank goodness! They are such a comfort and my daughter comes by daily to clean cat boxes and walk my dog with hers in the evening. She lives very close by and is such a huge support! This has been a lot for her too.

:hi:
I'm glad that you will get your additional bills paid and I am sending healing vibes your way!:loveshwr:

My apologies, I missed this bit of your post.
pushed the ball in my hip socket through the acetabulum and I had to have revision surgery July 5th.
This is one of the complications of a hemiarthroplasty, that the hard metal can compromise the floor of the acetabulum and cause it to give way. It's a well documented issue so I doubt there will be any legal grounds for a case.

Were you told that this further surgery means you had a conversion to a total hip replacement? That's both the cup and the stem. If not, you should have been told.

Well, that is huge, about caring for your pets, I love helping to care for my pets, we have a large yellow lab and a cat- the bossiest indoor/outdoor cat, ever. I was thrilled when I could reach down and freshen their water.. it's the little things, isn't it? That's great about your daughter.. I have a son who lives in your state, too! He said it's really hot there today.. but at least you guys don't have our sick humidity. :swoon:
@Brokefemur
P.S. I wrote this yesterday and apparently forgot to post it. I hope my fog brain improves soon!

Josephine, thanks for the information. No, I was not told about it being a total joint replacement this time. Surgeon said there was bone grafting to build up the hole that happened and ball replacement but nothing about the stem. My fall caused the problem.

Hi! Have an update. Went to my surgeon this week for checkup on my surgery. X ray looked good and can put full weight on hip and use a cane. No driving yet though. Weaning myself off pain pills and doing some mild muscle building exercises. Walking makes me stiff but no real pain but tend to have a limp. Feels like I limp cause everything is tight. Hopefully this will get better. I wake up a lot at night because of the stiffness and still taking pain pills at bedtime. The second surgery was hard on me but I'm improving!

Happy Thursday! Thanks for updating. What wonderful news!
Lots of improvements and with time, I'm sure many more.

Try the heel-toe walking for the limp.
Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Two surgeries in four months is a lot to bounce back from, but you're doing it and we're rooting for you all the way. :yes!: Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend!
@Brokefemur

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks