THR Hard to know how much walking is good for me<

@Brokefemur I hope you are still doing well since your last post! Your officially at your 2 month mark, congratulations! :loveshwr: Stop by and give us an update when you're up to it and take care!

Hello All! It's been 9 weeks and most days am able to use the cane instead of the walker but some days it's painful in my butt and low back so use the walker. I got an adjustment at my chiropractor and my sacrum and L5 vertebrae were out. I've had problems with that for years so probably makes hip healing harder. My surgeon wants me to do some PT to build up my glute and thigh muscles which were weak before I fell. Nervous about PT and won't do anything that may hurt me. I know those muscles need to be stronger though. Was hoping I'd have less pain by now but like you say healing time is different for everyone. At least I'm using the cane more. I wonder how long before my hip and leg feel strong. Any insight? Thanks for your support. It helps me a lot!

:wave:Good to see you on the forum.
Month four was my biggest turnaround so keep the faith friend.
I hope the PT is easy does it and do be mindful not to do more then your body tells you is helping.
Sending good mojo your way!:friends:

Thanks for your reply. I'm feeling impatient and worry I should be further along so good to hear about month 4 making a difference. Your encouragement helps me try to be patient. Was feeling kind of down lately so figured it was time to talk to my friends on this forum who get it.

Still early days, my friend.:roseshwr:
It's easy to get anxious and want things to hurry up and get normal again.
You've been through alot the last few months! Recovery can be frustrating and all the subsequent issues can make one anxious.:unsure:
I'm rooting for you and you can always whine here...I know I did!:blush:

@Brokefemur So sorry to hear about your back pain as I'm sure that isn't helpful with your recovery. It does indeed take some of us more time than others to quit using the walker and cane. I was one of them! The walker really helped me towards the late afternoon and evening. It's really best to continue using either the cane or walker until you have your strength back and can walk without limping. It sounds like you are doing well overall. We're always here for you so no worries, and no anxiety. Easier said than done!!! :flwrysmile:

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope things are slowly looking up for you.
We're here to talk / visit with anytime you feel the need.
Sending a hug and wishing you a pleasant weekend. :friends: :SUNsmile:
@Brokefemur

That's right, it's your 3 month anniversary!!! Hope you are doing well @Brokefemur! We'd love to hear from you! Have a good day and weekend! :loveshwr:

Hi! Thanks for checking on me. I was walking mostly with my cane and doing pretty good till I gave in to my doctors recommendation and went to physical therapy on Monday. I sat on a chair not realizing it was on wheels, it went back and I fell on my butt. No horrible pain but SI is probably out again and going to chiropractor on Monday. He did range of motion stretching on me leg and by that night had a lot of pain and could not put much weight on that hip. Called my surgeon and he said nothing loosened so that part is ok. Today is finally some better but I think he pulled my muscles too hard. Gave me some exercises to do, haven't done them cause of the pain though. Supposed to go back to PT in a week but not feeling good about it. Read forum advice on no pt needed, just walk a lot. My hip and leg is pretty weak so doctor said I need exercises to strengthen my muscles. Not sure what to do now.

@Brokefemur My word, I can't believe they put you in a chair without mentioning it was on wheels. That is terrible and I'm so sorry you had to go through that after everything else you've been through. I'm not a forum advisor but I certainly would cancel that PT appt next week. My hip and leg are also still on the weak side BUT as my walking progresses, they have both started getting stronger. I never did the PT and I'm a strong believer that walking normally again after hip replacement helps increase our lost muscle mass over time. Don't let them talk you into anything that causes you pain. If you're still having pain, please get some ice packs and start using them again for relief. Hoping things ease off soon! :flwrysmile:

Hi again @Brokefemur
Let's see how the forum nurse @Josephine advises after your procedure.
Please check back periodically as she may have some questions for you.
Hopefully she'll give you some clear direction, since you're unsure of how to proceed.
Have a nice day!

They definitely should have warned me the chair was on wheels. I've been icing a lot and taking my tramadol every 4 to 5 hours with 2 Tylenol. The therapist did range of motion stretching and stopped when it was tight but still caused a lot of pain. He said I probably have adhesions and they released some and that caused pain. I doubt I'll go back to PT at all. Don't trust them now and a lot of the exercises they gave me are on the forum list of don't do them.

Hello @Brokefemur So sorry to read about your fall. Yikes, what were they thinking? Really hope your back improves quickly. I have not gone to PT yet and progressing ok. Some are helpful but not sure if they can really speed healing. Seems like the hip is going to heal when it’s ready. Sending healing wishes. Take care :angel:

Thanks so much for your reply. Everyone on this forum is so wonderful! You keep me going.

Today is finally some better but I think he pulled my muscles too hard
Which he? Doctor or chiropractor? I'm supposing it was the doctor.

just walk a lot
Not exactly walk 'a lot', just walk some.
He said I probably have adhesions and they released some and that caused pain.
I've said this before, that the incidence of adhesions in hip replacement is pretty much unknown meaning it just doesn't happen! This is because there is such a lot of soft tissue around the hip. In the knee it's a different matter because there is so little soft tissue and things can sometimes get stuck down. But even then, it's nowhere near as frequent as some doctors and PT's would have us believe!
I doubt I'll go back to PT at all. Don't trust them now and a lot of the exercises they gave me are on the forum list of don't do them. Supposed to go back to PT in a week but not feeling good about it.
Then don't go. Exercise your right to decide this for yourself.

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Sorry, sent you a personal message in error. Still figuring out how to respond to questions. Physical therapist moved my leg through range of motion testing and pushed it too far I think. That night thigh, hip and knee really hurt and woke me all night.

Finally some better today. I'm walking around the house mostly but if I get tired I sit down. Icing a lot too. Thanks for your advice and help!

:hi:I hope things continue to get better.
Wishing you a restful weekend:flwrysmile:

:hi:
It's your Four Month Anniversary and I want to wish you a good one.
I hope you're feeling stronger and continue to notice progress.
Please leave an update next time you stop by, we'd love to hear from you.
Wishing you continued healing and best wishes for a great Summer!
@Brokefemur

The fall in PT turns out pushed the ball in my hip socket through the acetabulum and I had to have revision surgery July 5th.

Went well, home now and starting recovery all over. Not a happy camper and meeting with a lawyer Friday as this was negligence on the part of the physical therapist. Less pain with this one and can only do toe touch for now and not full weight. Had epidural this time and highly recommend it.

Wish me luck that this fixes me. Thanks for your support!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom