THR Hard to know how much walking is good for me<

Hi @Brokefemur
I hope all is well with you.
One month out was my battle with cabin fever and post op blues..:sigh:
Hopefully you aren't having to deal with that, and all is well.
Hope today is a very good day.:SUNsmile:

Hi! And thanks for checking on me. A couple of days ago I used the cane for half the day and then my hip got tired so I used the walker. Next day my hip and low back hurt quite a bit to put weight on it so leaned on my walker pretty heavy for the day. Felt like maybe my old SI pain came back. Today seems better though. Maybe I overdo it with the cane? I'm just trying to build up my muscles but seems to do good and then go backwards. I'm trying to be patient but my progress is very slow. I can feel how weak my hip and butt muscles are. Still taking my pain medication, icing a lot and sleep pretty good at nite...thankful for that! I'll post my progress.

Last edited:
And yes, get a little down sometimes as spring is starting here in Colorado and I'm stuck inside for now. Trying to stay upbeat when I compare now to week 1 and week 2...I've come a long way I'm just not there yet!

Keep the faith friend...still early days.
Love your avatar...cutest furbabies!

Almost 6 weeks since surgery and very slow progress. Don't use cane for long cause hip and muscles get weak and tired. If i push beyond that point pain comes back. Walker feels more comfortable but feel if I'm going to improve I need to use the cane more. Maybe I just need to be more patient. I'm walking around the house more, doing small loads of laundry without feeling worse.

@Brokefemur you are a very inspiring lady. I enjoy reading your posts. You are definitely in the right place here. I can't even begin to express what being here has done for me. I am also inspired by the regular posters, who dedicate their time to support all of us. You know who you are.
Please be patient going through this recovery. Going through it day by day seems long, but everytime you reach a milestone, you realize how far you have come......and looking back later will seem like a brief moment in time.
All the best to you in this journey.

@Brokefemur I will be 7 weeks post-op Thursday. At 5 weeks I was posting my concerns because I couldn't walk without my walker. I couldn't use my cane either. I was honestly in tears one night when I told my husband that I didn't think I'd ever be able to walk again without the walker. What I wanted in my head just wasn't connecting to my hip. I totally understand your frustration level. It wasn't until sometime last week that I managed to (very slowly) get a few steps away from my walker by grabbing on to the nearest counter top or whatever was accessible. It wasn't long before I was able to go a few more steps without it. It took a good full week before I was more comfortable with doing it. Then I used the cane, for security more than anything else. Some of us just take longer and it is frustrating but please hang in there. The blessed part is that you have no pain, that is great. Keep us posted, we're all here to cheer you on!

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I have had the same thoughts that I may not ever be able to walk without a walker or a cane. I can tell my glute and hip muscles on that side aren't very strong yet so I will keep using the cane when I can. I also have SI problems that adds to things. I'll be patient and keep trying thanks to folks like you!!

@Brokefemur for those of us who have been in the same situation, it's a very real and scary thought. Then my imagination just goes crazy! My hip and leg muscles had deteriorated over the past 7 years so that didn't help either. Just take it on the easy side, there are no set guidelines for this. Your head and body can be your guide so trust it. Enjoy the rest of your day!

My hip and leg muscles also wete weak before my fall. Did you go to physical therapy or just rely on walking to build them back up? Are you walking good now?

@Brokefemur I did NOT go to PT. I did do the 5 exercises that gave me in the hospital occasionally, not everyday. They are mainly stretches that you do laying in bed. My PT consisted of walking, light household chores and the like. I also spent a few hours everyday elevating with my ice. My walk now is on the high fair to good side but I still practice (and highly suggest) the heel-toe walking that is recommended on the forum. With my brain focusing on heel-toe, it helped steady me and kept any limping to a minimum. My journey isn't over yet though because for some odd reason, I still can't walk a straight line! :SUNsmile:

Thanks so much for your reply. I also do some stretching type exercises the in home therapist showed me. I'll remember to do the heel to toe. I forgot that one. Glad you're improving and you'll be doing a straight line eventually I'm sure! I really appreciate your support! This site helps me so much to keep my chin up! Have a great week!

We are all rooting for you...:yay::yay::yay:
Still early days, and no trying to compare recoveries.
Healing mojo coming your way!:ok:

Hi! At week 6 now and have a positive update. Today I used my cane all day until evening! This morning my hip felt stronger when i woke up and only the usual stiffness for about an hour. I felt more steady on my operated side so started with the cane. I thought after about 3 hours I'd tire and hip would feel weak but that didn't happen today. Tomorrow may not be as good but now I know I'm getting there! Hang in there! It looks like it will get better!

That is such wonderful news and I'm so happy for you! Really brought a smile to my face.....I knew you could do it! And no worries about tomorrow because you are getting better every day and that's what's important! Enjoy your weekend and have a Happy Easter @Brokefemur !!!!

So glad to hear things are continuing to improve!:tada:
Happy Easter, @Brokefemur :SUNsmile:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Would love to hear how you're doing theses days.
Please leave an update next time you stop by...if you have time.
I hope you have a beautiful Spring and Summer!
@Brokefemur

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics