Bilateral TKR Hard night

Hi sistersinhim, five acres! I know what that must me like because I have three. One has been landscaped with lawns and yards and dry rivers etc. Lots of work. You inspired me to get out there and do some of it today. I bought gas and then climbed on the trusty yard tractor and mowed one yard and the fence line on the west. That was it. It was over an hour and my legs were feeling it so I stopped. I have no idea how I will feel tomorrow, but I sure am happy (as is my blind dog) that the dogs yards is done! I'll let you know tomorrow if I'm still alive. I sure hope so since I was go get back out there!!!
Thanks.

Thanks MyAussieGirl, but we will see if I'm still rockin tomorrow!

No big deal if you have to skip tomorrow's mowing and rest up. Riding a mower is a lot of bumps and vibrations and can really anger your knee. I waited almost 2 months before I did my whole yard. Listen to your knee and let it be in charge and you'll be OK. Just don't overdo or you'll be really sorry!

I skipped a day between mowings. I did another section of lawn today. I have to say, I've always found the vibrations of riding the mower to help with my physical pains. My body feels relaxed afterwards. So far, so good from the first mowing. I'm hoping that I can keep this up and start to feel like I have made some progress in healing. It a big mood boost!

That is such great news! I'm glad life is beginning to feel a little bit more normal.

I'm sure accomplishing something this big and getting outdoors is helping your mood!

Good going with that skipped day between the mowing and being able to get back to it! The vibrations really hurt my new knee, so you are way ahead of what I was. Go girl!

Just wanted to let you all know how I'm doing. Today is the four month mark for my two new knees. I am very happy with them. I can work in the yards and ride the mower. I can even get on the ground and crawl under it when it throws it's belt! I'm not taking any more meds for pain. Just moving along. Slowly. It's felt very very slow. But it is coming and I have little to no pain.
I did want to share a story. I had to pull over on the hwy and get out of my car for a minute to get something from my trunk. When I was getting back in, I was worried about the traffic coming up behind me so I hurried. I sat down and then swung my legs in fast. Problem was, I had the seat way forward and so I bent my knees very far to get them in. I felt a crunch and a sting/burn in my right knee. I have had a little more problem with that knee every since the surgeries and it wasn't bending as far, was more swollen and just felt "different". I was worried that I had really done something bad to it and we were just starting our trip out camping to central Oregon! What was I going to do? I found out, later in the day that it was the best thing that could have happened! My knee was bending way more and feeling much better. I lost that tight "strap" feeling across the knee cap. I think it could have been scar tissue but I don't really know. I'm so happy I did my own "MAU".
Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and I am so thankful for this website.

It sounds as if you're doing very well indeed. Thank you for letting us know. YOUr knee will continue to do even better, too. :thumb:

So, you did your own MWA (Manipulatoin without anaesthetic). I'm glad it didn't hurt too badly for long, and that it seems to have done some good.

Wow, how wonderfully you are doing for 4 months out of a bilateral! How a ball on your trip!

Thanks for the update. You are doing great! I'm happy that the moment of pain seems to have helped you so much.

An MUA without the anesthesia! I'm glad your doing so Well!

That sounds so totally logical, yet... ouch! Glad your knee is now better than ever. :running:

Hello again. I hope everyone is hanging in there. What a wild ride! I am at 8 months recovery now and am having a couple of issues. My knees were doing fine. I was almost back to normal. I developed a heart condition and it keeps me sitting several days a week without much exercise. when i'm laying down and try to bend my one knee by sliding my heel back, i have weakness and pain on the front/left side of my knee. Reminds me of the pain in the beginning when trying to get it to move so many months back now. I can't seem to left that same leg up even enough to put my pants on or step up a curb. No stairs at all. I keep going to PT for my hip now... they keep telling me that it's my gluts and quads but trying to do the exercises just kills me. The pain doesn't feel muscular at all. Feels like somethings ripped. I've been back to my surgeon several times since surgery. He wanted to follow closely because i had both knees done at once. all the just a couple of months he said the xrays of my hip and both knees looked fine.. nothing loose. So here I am feeling like this will never end. I have way less pain then before the operations but i sure was hoping for better mobility. Sometimes you just need to get up the curb!
(Sorry for my rant) Love you all.

Are you allowed to do any amount of walking at all? I found just 15 min a day helped my TKR a bit.

Last edited:
I agree with KarriB. Even if you walk a little bit, it should help. I broke my right ankle and 2 foot bones in May. I was unable to put any weight on it for over 5 weeks. My new knee was extremely unhappy and let me know it! These knees want to walk and be used. Ask your heart doctor if you can walk some. I'm sure it'll help.

That’s a shame you are having problems now, after so long. Is this the knee you felt the rip-zing in when you got into your car a few months ago? Just wondering, in case there’s a connection to that event.

I hope icing and elevating helps it to settle down and then you get your mobility back. X-rays don’t show soft tissue damage very well, so your implant could be fine while you have something going on with some other part of the knee, like muscles or bursae. I hope it resolves on its own, whatever it is. :sad:

Walking is mild exercise, so if your cardiac doctor gives you the okay, it’s a pleasant way to keep your knees limber.

Congratulations on your surgery! Welcome to the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that soft tissue injuries sometimes last a longer time than a break! If your quads and hamstrings are weak, it would be difficult to lift that foot.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member