THR Happy New Year from Cath

Aggy

Country
Australia Australia
One replacement Dec 2019 second Feb 2000. Still get prickling feeling under both scars and further down left thigh. Gentle rub with hand eases it, varies how often. Sideways balance not brilliant. Am I doing any harm using a ride on mower, or bending double to weed garden please?
Aggy

@Aggy
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!!
Still get prickling feeling under both scars and further down left thigh. Gentle rub with hand eases it, varies how often.
Sounds like your nerves are reconnecting, it can take a year or more.

Am I doing any harm using a ride on mower, or bending double to weed garden please?
if you do not have pain or increased swelling after either of these activities, they are fine. If you do, it is your knee telling you they are not ready for these activities.
Doubt you can do any actual harm to your knees, other than upsetting them if you have overdone it.

One replacement Dec 2019 second Feb 2000
Please post your exact surgery dates, a moderator will add them to your signature for you. Having the exact dates will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Thank u for your reply. How great are forums?
My first op was on 10/12/19, the second was on 18/02/20.
I don't get pain when weeding, but my balance is not good, is that because the leg muscles are still healing?
I have to pull myself up onto the ride on mower with my arms as my legs aren't strong enough and I have to get off very carefully.

What does it mean when they ask for permission to enable push notifications?

Hi @Aggy and :welome:
A push notification is an automated message sent by an application to a user when the application is not open.
"app owners will receive push notifications whenever new content is uploaded"
Often this is how Bonesmart members are alerted when we have new news to spread by email about events or products that can be helpful.

I don't get pain when weeding, but my balance is not good, is that because the leg muscles are still healing?
I have to pull myself up onto the ride on mower with my arms as my legs aren't strong enough and I have to get off very carefully.

Weakness can certainly cause imbalance and your newest hip especially still has a lot of healing going on. It sounds like you are very active, but you may want to seek out the advice of a physical therapist to assess you gait and see if there are any specific exercises that can help with your issues.
(I understand with the state of the work during the pandemic, this might not be an option right now.:umm:)

And oh, please do be careful...
Remember, No Falling :no-fin:
Completely against the rules.

I still get "feelings" in my thigh/hip area that rubbing eases, I guess just nerves. Don't think any of the things you're doing would be a problem but everyone's ability strength and recoveries are different. The one big rule y OS gave me is DON'T FALL DOWN. If you don't have good balance it might be better to kneel when weeding. I made a short bench to sit on or kneel on for weeding.

Thank you, I am just trying to find my way. I did post my op dates but they were:- 10 December 2019 and 18 February 2020. I hope I will get quicker as I learn to use the forum.

Thank you both, so good to be able to ask questions and get answers. I will enable the push notifications. I am not far off 80 so I worry when I am gardening and go inside hardly able to straighten up. I do get out my ice pack occasionally. I know what you mean about kneeling to weed, it's so much easier, but I can barely manage to get up if I dare to kneel!:SUNsmile: would a physio be any help? What do osteopaths do, are they useful for this? :dancy: Us!
Kind regards Aggy
I have been dying to get another dog but I took a sweet rescue Cattle dog on trial, sadly I had to give him back because he was pulling too hard and i was frightened of being pulled over which you say is against the rules! Hopefully I can find a quiet gentle dog, but i do miss the little rascal. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi @Aggy - you'll see that I have moved your second-to last post from the November Nimbles to your own thread.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new questions as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it. Can you do that?

Best wishes,
Celle

Not very good at this. After12 months since first arthroscopy, 10 months since the second one, I am still getting in and out of bed like a crab! Is it my leg muscles still weak?

@Aggy

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Best Wishes to all for 2021. What a year it's been! So quiet here this New Year's Eve.
I haven't been on since the last time, I find it hard to know how to use the forum. I will have to keep trying to learn. I still don't understand what a thread is!
Next month will be a year since my second hip replacement.I seem to be going well so far, occasional twinges in hips and left thigh. Hoping for continued improvement for us all.
Cheers Cath.:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Well, welcome back. You just created a thread.

@Aggy
You just successfully created a new thread, which is where your document your recovery so it is in one place. That way you are able to review your recovery like a diary, and staff can review your history so we can better respond to your questions and concerns.
I have merged this new thread with your old thread to keep your story in one place.
I am going to also copy your post to our New Years 2021 thread where more members will see it.

In order to find your thread in the future, suggest you bookmark your thread in your browser.

How can I find my threads and posts?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back