BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Happy Days?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Carriemay60, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    I have a surgery date (April 9th) for a Right Hemiarthroplasty posterior revision. I am also the only patient of my new Ortho to be fully cleared for the cancellation list of my particular surgery but because he wants 3 hours for my of instead of a usual 2, I need two patients to fall through on the same day. I've had a very long road to this following leg & hip fractures in 2014 just 4 months apart. My hip replacement didn't include replacing the socket which I've never really understood but have recently been told it was likely due to how it fractured. In hindsight, I really question why on earth I was still in a full leg cast and only graduating to 50% weight bearing for my Tibia Plateau fracture 20 weeks after the fact!

My recovery over almost 5 years has been disappointing to say the least. I came out of the hip surgery still in a full leg cast for my leg fracture but a new one with a knee hinge. Because I had the hip fall while travelling, I think my recovery lacked any consistent ortho follow-up and or advice. I returned to my knee ortho but he didn't seem to like doing follow-up about the hip? I am sure the whole knee thing had a big part to play in my recovery because I couldn't get out for a walk and I still have a good gait or stride. Eventually I got walking again with the aide of floatation devices in a pool. However, I still limp very badly, mostly from hip pain but I have scar tissue in the knee as well.

I have to plan my days very carefully. I can do a grocery shop on foot in a smaller store if I get a disabled parking spot but cannot cook a full meal the same day. I can manage preparing a nice meal over the course of the day as long as I don't also go across the road to the mailbox, etc., etc. I have tried a few times to move back to the master bedroom on the upper floor but find the toll the stairs take on me limit the rest of my life too much. Sleeping around the pain is close to a nightmare though I do assume some of that difficulty is also related to my rheumatoid and osteo aches & pains on top of my knee locking up in the night. My balance is still kooky so I have a fear of falling. I have taken my 7 grandchildren to the park but have only been able to observe them for 5 years instead of climbing all over the equipment with them like I used to. The youngest one I have never been able to walk in his buggy more than 2 blocks. I have an 8th grandchild due in March and I am determined to take this one for a really nice long walk in it's pram!!!

I should be excited to finally have some hope for a better future and one that will involve a whole lot less pain right? I am so excited, maybe a little cautiously optimistic (might not be a fast rehab because of some serious muscle atrophy and might not be 100% I am told). However, I feel like I'm on a total roller coaster.

I'm a nervous wreck about the surgery & anesthetic (which is normal for me) despite just having had a full check of my heart & health, great results from a IV stress tests, good blood work, etc. I get so afraid I won't wake up. I am scared to death of being aware of anything during surgery. I'm terrified of another thrombosis (had 3 so far and one a PE). My Aunt died of a PE. I'm worried about my hubby not coping with me, house, his work and how he stresses around unwell people because our children all live far away. I already feel embarrassed about my housekeeping over the last 5 years and have visions of drowning in the dust until I can either do it right or save pennies for house help :) I am worried about getting to the toilet on time post-op because I think I remember that being really hard for a while last time. I am even stressing about how I will able to bend over to let my short legged dog out for a pee once hubby goes back to work. A biggy too is the surgeon says he only keeps his patients in 24 hours!!! That sounds way too soon to be home to me. After the 1st replacement I had to check myself out to get to my daughter's wedding on day 4. Had I not had the wedding, they wanted me to transfer to a rehab center and to be honest, I was hoping they might look at a rehab this time to get me on a good recovery track. I am so up & down with all these worries and my overwhelming excitement, I can hardly keep track of myself!!

Thanks for giving me the space to vent all these feelings, a good 1st step in getting them out, sorting and starting to process them. Bonesmart was my lifeline on my 1st experience on so many levels.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Carriemay60 Welcome back! Sorry you need yet more surgery.

Please don't worry about chores or dust or how you will get on post op. All that will fall into place when needed. For now focus on that surgery date and preparing your home. No 2 hip ops are the same, even on the same person. So this recovery may not take the same route as the last. Stay positive and above all let go of all the detail. Hubby will cope while you recover.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about this but why on earth are you having a hemi?

4. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    @Jaycey . Hi Jaycey, nice to see you again, you are always so supportive and reassuring. I know in my heart you are right and need to take a breath here!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    @Josephine Have I used the wrong word? I copied that from my original signature. Originally I was corrected by someone here on how I described my partial hip replacement. After the fracture, I had the partial hip replacement, posterior. My ball & stem are secure according to scan so he is "resurfacing the socket". I appreciate you correcting me please!

6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

No you haven't used the wrong word, I was just questioning your surgeon doing such a procedure! Hemis are usually used for fracture necks of femur so it not really appropriate for them to be used instead of a total hip replacement. But I see now you had one of the modular devices which can be converted to a total hip by means of simply adding the appropriate ball and cup on to the existing stem. Sorry about that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Scarab

Scarab new member

United States United States
    @Carriemay60 You have so much on your plate!

I am in a similar situation as you insofar as being very limited in my ability to walk or shop. I, too, was given an April surgery date, and have been so discouraged. Last week I decided to make an adjustment to my attitude. Up until then I had been so anxious, worrying constantly about the loss of my prior lifestyle, feeling angry and resentful and fearful and desperate.

I woke up one morning and decided to give up trying to control the situation. I decided to just give in to the fact that I am in pain and to allow myself to rest, listen to my body, and accept what was good in my life without resenting this hip issue. No sooner had I made this decision than I received a call and a new surgery date of 1/22. It felt magical. I know that not everything is under my control, but I feel a great deal of hope that the THR will help.

All this as a way of saying that I hope you can have some faith that this procedure will work and that your family will help you through. Also, what about sharing your concerns with your physician's office? Perhaps they would authorize a brief stay in rehab for you.
    Until your surgery I hope you can ease off on the cleaning, cooking and shopping. It can wait. Best of luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    @Scarab Hi. I went through all that anger about my life changing 5 years ago when I broke the leg & hip and eventually had to reluctantly accept it but have managed to advocate to get the hip fixed. It's a process for sure. Actually getting all those above concerns said 'out loud' has helped a lot! I haven't woken up due to worry since.

That is wonderful news that you got an earlier date! In many ways I hope I do get called from the cancellation list to just get on with it but then I think April is not nearly as far away as originally being told 18-24 months. Also, we often get quite a bit of snow and ice in January/February and even into March so April will suit nicely for when I can get out on the street for a walk with a nice little park just one block away as my 1st big goal.

Because of how my original injuries happened and only having a partial hip replacement on a very arthritic hip I did not see the wonderful results that most here have so I am very excited for this to make a big difference in my life as I am sure your's will. I will be watching for you as your surgery date comes around!!

9. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I’ve read your posts and I have to say that almost all of us have felt most of the same frustrations you do. While I didn’t ever think of drowning in the dust, I had concerns about not getting everything done that I should be doing around the house. Then I was concerned about my husband coping. But when all was said and done, just as Jaycee said, things fell into place. All the dust bunnies patiently waited until I could once again care for them and my husband did just fine caring for both me and himself as I recovered. You will find that it will all be so worth it just to be able to move around pain free again. Plus as an extra bonus I found I actually had more energy because the pain was gone. I had never realized how very draining that pain was. Hopefully you do get called about a cancellation early because you can use the cold, snowy days to recover and by April take that walk to the park. Whatever date you get will work for you, one way or another. Sending positive thoughts your way...:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    Thanks @GrannyC . Good advice! My husband and I had a talk about it all last night and got our heads wrapped around it all. We both feel that at least with this surgery being planned rather than an emergency we can get well organized ahead of time which should make it less stressful for both of us. Also we were travelling when I originally broke the hip so that was a huge stress for us. Being home will obviously make a big difference!
    :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

That sounds good. Talking about the plan should be very helpful and I’m sure you will make out fine. In the time I’ve been here on the forum, I’ve noticed many people get quite stressed that their spouse isn’t doing things around the house the same way they do. I think you have to find a way to accept their help as I think most are doing their very best and as we all know, people all do even the smallest job in a different way. As an example of what I mean, I normally take clothes from the dryer, fold them and put them away. When my husband did the laundry as I recovered, he took the clothes from the dryer, put them on the spare bed and there they stayed. If either of us needed something, we just got it off the spare bed. And it worked well. By the time I was back to doing laundry, there was very little left on the spare bed and I resumed doing the laundry my way.

For meals, many people order out and have it delivered or go pick up something if needed. Not everyone wants to make meals ahead and freeze them but again, it is whatever works for you.

I also found it helps to have things on hand to pass the time as you recover. Some good books to read, puzzle books, knitting, sewing - again whatever works for you.

April will be here before you know it and I’m sure you will do very well. Like you said, it sure will help a lot that you are at home.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Klassy

Klassy member

What a rotten time you have had Carrie. But this new op will be the starting point for a whole new life. Well done for fighting for this opportunity and not settling for a life half lived. As you said, though the waiting is hard, it does give you time to prepare. Think about what you can do to make the recovery period as easy as possible, but mainly think about how great it will be when it’s all behind you and you can enjoy playing with your grandchildren.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    @Klassy I have really started thinking about the things that will open up for me after surgery the last few days and itès getting me quite excited! Even simple things like going for a decent walk along the lake this summer.I love to cook but havenèt enjoyed as much when its so hard to stand for any length of time, etc. Can hardly wait to go camping this summer!
    :happydance::biking::bicycle2::hiking:

• Like Like x 3
  14. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

That is definite the right way to look at this!! :yes!::yes!::yes!:

• Agree Agree x 3