TKR Happy Camper

Isn't it great to be rid of that horrible bone-on-bone pain? The surgical pain will fade gradually, while the bone-on-bone pain would have only continued to get worse if you hadn't had the surgery.

My PT told me today many of his patients talk about the dreaded "Bone-on-Bone Pain" and he asked what does it actually feel like? Had to think about that one for a while until I explained it felt like someone sticking a nail in my knee with every step. Sooooo glad to rid of that pain!

Day 11 Recovery Update
Pain level One. Not really pain but more of a discomfort reminder of the surgery.
Swelling down to occasionally, more so after activity.
Ditched the walker Day 7 for a Cane. Now only use cane when going somewhere (Doctor, shopping).
Surgery fatigue is gone, sleeping well and feel rested. Laying out in the sun on a nice Florida day helps.

Dropped the Oxycodone on Day 7, switched to Motrin.
Day 10 ceased rest of prescriptions (Dr. orders) going on Motrin/Tylenol regiment only.
Post-Op visit yesterday. Xray look good. Dressing removed, wound looks good.
Although no official ROM measurement, Doc observed my movement and stated “coming along fine”.
Still have 2 weeks of in-house PT left, then 4-6 weeks of out-patient PT if I desired. So far happy with my PT.

Should be able to hit my pool and the beach within 4 weeks! Yea!
Very pleased with my Surgeon (Trey Remaley, DO, USF Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, Tampa Florida).

Very happy with my new knee and the recovery process to this point.
I believe this positive trend will continue and hope to post helpful updates in the future.
Mrs. YoungGoat and I are already planning on taking Tango dancing lessons later this year (My Bucket List item).

Thanks to all and wish everyone a blessed day.

Could my post title be changed to “Happy Camper”?

What a fantastic recovery report OldGoat! So glad it is going so well for you. And tango lessons - a great goal to aspire to!

My 6 WEEK Update. Still Happy Camper.

Mobility: Getting around pretty good without a cane. Also, back to short walks with the dog (she is very happy).

Physical Therapy: Finished Home PT. Did 1-2 visits per week mainly for stretching exercises. Was directed to complete exercises 2-3 times a day, but honestly, only did exercises with PT visit. Like BoneSmart stated, daily activities were enough. ROM is now 127 – 0, so I’m happy with the progress so far. I have a referral for out patient PT but not sure I will use it. Scar is OK now, so going back into the pool later this week.

Pain: Down to a couple of Tylenol in the afternoon and Motrin at night. The swelling has basically gone away with a little deep swelling still going on. Elevate/ice occasionally. Still sore at times, but it is soft tissue pain primarily in the quadricep and more specifically the quad tendon above the knee that attaches to the patella. Sometimes IT band and calf muscle act up. I just look at it as part of the healing process as all my parts adapt to the new knee and proper gait.

Happy with only 6 weeks in but really looking forward to continued progress this Summer, especially after a couple months pool PT. Rewarding my wife (and myself) with putting up with me during this time by reserving a room for a week at the beach the middle of this month. Nothing lifts my spirits better than the beach. Wishing everyone a healthy and successful recovery!

What a great report!

Great to hear you are doing so well @OldGoat! Summer should be sweet!

I am so delighted to hear of your progress @OldGoat - probably much less so than you are yourself! You are so right about the normal everyday activities being enough for the knee to fully recover. For that deep swelling, you might want to try a little deep tissue or lymphatic massage, now that your scar is healed - just being sure they don't manipulate too near the surgery site as you still have healing going on with tender tissues, as you have noted.
127 and 0 at 6 weeks is wonderful! :yahoo: You are so thoughtful to reward your bride and yourself with a little beach time! May we ask where? I remember "rewarding" the Sainted Joe (the hubs) and our two daughters for their caretaking with a trip to Hawaii about 4 months after my knees. I even went scuba diving to 40 feet!:swim: (I shouldn't have been, but they put me in with a couple certified divers because they had no where else to put me. Amazing!) I don't think we have any scuba emojis here!

One note about spending time at the beach - put the highest SPF sunscreen on those scars. I had lovely white 50+ stripes down my knees - such a lovely vision on the beach I was with my knee stripes, :rotfl:but I didn't want to take any risks with the scars! Not sure what the underwater critters thought of my stripes as my wetsuit only went to right above the knees!

Thanks everyone.

NightQuilter. I've been using a handheld massage for a couple of weeks and it does really help!
We only live about 20 min. from the beach but sometimes it is just nicer to relax at a beach hotel while and not worrying about driving home. We will be staying at Treasure Island next to St. Petersburg, Florida.

Our return to Hawaii is scheduled for next year once all this covid stuff is finished. :yes!:

It sounds idyllic @OldGoat - enjoy having everyone on staff to wait on you too! The handheld massager sound like a good idea. The massage works well to keep the fluids moving through those swollen joints. I recall my OS asking me at my 3-week follow-up what happened to my swelling (since there was little left); when I told him about the massage, he said he was going to add that to his protocols.

4 months have passed already! Still a Happy Camper. :)
No pain in daily activities and I do not have that bone on bone torment anymore!
Sometimes the knee may feel warm after exercise but no real swelling anymore.
Daily Pool work is helping.
Still do not have that good ROM yet to ride my mountain bike. I get a very excruciating
"you-are-not-ready-for-this-yet-pain" when trying to go through the top of the pedal rotation. I can pedal an inclined exercise bike with no problem. So......just not ready for that complete ROM motion yet.

Big question. Has anyone experienced golfing after TKR? I am right handed with a Left TKR so my new knee will be my lead leg and take most of the twisting. Would like to try around the 6th month mark. Is it possible? How long after TKR did you get back on the course? Did you change stance or drivers? Thinking maybe short game will still be ok, but those long fairways will be difficult. Anyway, appreciate any advice or ideas and here is hoping everyone's recovery is good.

Great report @OldGoat! I just recently took up golf so I can’t speak to time line, but neither my hip or knee prevent me from any required rotation. Actually I move much better than I could have for at least 10 years.

Great report @OldGoat! I just recently took up golf so I can’t speak to time line, but neither my hip or knee prevent me from any required rotation. Actually I move much better than I could have for at least 10 years.

That's good news, Thanks!
Are you golfing right handed?
So you're talking about taking up golf about 2 years post-op?
You have given me hope.

Oldgoat-I was cleared to chip and putt at the 6 week mark. I am also right handed with a LTKR. I went very slowly and iced and elevated after each outing.
I am now 15 weeks out and am playing 9 holes a couple times a week. It took a bit to work up to that!
Wishing you well!! Going to golf today before it gets too hot!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back