• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Happy as a clam :)

Hi Kim!!! Well if this reassures you, I too have been bothered by low back/L hip pain the last few days and I asked my PT about it. She said it’s very common after TKR and usually gets better when our gait becomes more normal and after we don't need to spend as much time elevating the surgical knee. I’m trying to change positions more frequently now at almost 4 weeks. I go from 1 hour iced knee up in recliner, then over to sofa for 1/2 hour, then walk around for 20 min, then head back to recliner and ice :ice:. It’s my knee recovery cross-fit course :running: I hope you’re hip pain gets relief and the strength comes back slowly. Oh the PATIENCE!! Wish that came in a bottle !!
:loveshwr:Andpeaches

Thanks so much for all the encouraging replies! I will be 6 weeks post-surgery on Thursday. It's amazing how the healing process morphs the aches and pains to different areas. Now I'm having some intense aching in my left hip area with some weakness in my left leg. It has been happening for about 5 days. I was worried that my hip was fractured (oh, how the mind wanders!). So, I searched the forum for hip pain after TKR and found that it is relatively common at this point in the healing process. Irritated gluteus maximus/sciatica/realignment - it all makes sense. Hopefully, this will pass quickly. I was silly enough to sign up for a class towards my Masters degree, which started 4 days after my surgery. I've been fine with it until this hip issue.
I hope all my fellow Valentines are doing well and being kind to yourselves! :flwrysmile:
Warm regards,

Kim
It’s interesting but we are on pretty parallel journeys. My 6 weeks for my LTKR will be this Thursday as well. Also I am scheduled for my RTKR on April 25. You’re well ahead of me as far as flexion goes. I’m hovering around 100 but before my surgery my flexion was only 115. My PT is more concerned with function over numbers and both the Surgical team and my PT have used 115 as the goal. My knee is still pretty stiff and I am still sleeping on the recliner. As a side sleeper I’m just not there yet. Since it’s my left I am driving and have been able to get out and do quite a bit. I do get tired easily but that come with the journey. I ride the stationary bike for 20 mins a few times a week. I was a pretty regular cyclist so I am anxiously awaiting the time I can get back on my bike again. Good luck with your journey.

It's amazing how the healing process morphs the aches and pains to different areas. Now I'm having some intense aching in my left hip area with some weakness in my left leg
Hi Kim,
My surgeon’s PA reminded me early on that our gait changes as our joint deteriorates, then changes once again post op as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. This alone can cause aches and pains as we favor one leg over the other, very often unknowingly. It takes time for the soft tissue surrounding the implant to heal and settle in with the implant and begin working smoothly. It doesn’t seem like it takes much to bring on discomfort in the early weeks and months. Give it some time and it will likely ease. Wishing you comfort and speedy relief!

It’s interesting but we are on pretty parallel journeys. My 6 weeks for my LTKR will be this Thursday as well. Also I am scheduled for my RTKR on April 25. You’re well ahead of me as far as flexion goes. I’m hovering around 100 but before my surgery my flexion was only 115. My PT is more concerned with function over numbers and both the Surgical team and my PT have used 115 as the goal. My knee is still pretty stiff and I am still sleeping on the recliner. As a side sleeper I’m just not there yet. Since it’s my left I am driving and have been able to get out and do quite a bit. I do get tired easily but that come with the journey. I ride the stationary bike for 20 mins a few times a week. I was a pretty regular cyclist so I am anxiously awaiting the time I can get back on my bike again. Good luck with your journey.
Hi Jtmav,

I hope you are doing well. We're almost at week 8 and I'm happy with the progress. I still can't stand to have anything touch my scar (and the area where the surgical covering was pulled off), but my hip pain is subsiding. My hubby and I visited relatives this weekend, which required a 3-hour ride each way. I was uncomfortable, but it was bearable. I decided to lay low this week because I think I've been on my feet too much lately. I'm also a side sleeper and, fortunately, that's not a problem for me. I just put a pillow between my knees and can rest comfortably.

Best wishes for a successful RTKR! I'll be two weeks behind you :)

Kim

still can't stand to have anything touch my scar
Quite a few of our members have complained about this. One way to gradually desensitize that new scar tissue is to gently draw pieces of fabric across it several times/ day. Start with something very lightweight -- like a silk scarf -- and gradually build up to heavier weight/rougher fabrics. Be patient; it can take several weeks to notice a difference.

still can't stand to have anything touch my scar
Quite a few of our members have complained about this. One way to gradually desensitize that new scar tissue is to gently draw pieces of fabric across it several times/ day. Start with something very lightweight -- like a silk scarf -- and gradually build up to heavier weight/rougher fabrics. Be patient; it can take several weeks to notice a difference.
Hi Deb,

Thanks for your advice. I was just reading archived posts about this issue and then noticed your response. I'm going to give it a shot. My hubby thinks it's in my head because he didn't experience the same thing with his scar *sighs* :loll:The posts were very reassuring, as always. Thanks a bunch.

Kim

My hubby thinks it's in my head because he didn't experience the same thing
Oh, those macho men! :heehee:

You aren't the only one who has complained about this, so it is definitely not in your head!

Just tell hubby that everyone is different! People even have different experiences with each knee on the same body!

Hi Jtmav,

I hope you are doing well. We're almost at week 8 and I'm happy with the progress. I still can't stand to have anything touch my scar (and the area where the surgical covering was pulled off), but my hip pain is subsiding. My hubby and I visited relatives this weekend, which required a 3-hour ride each way. I was uncomfortable, but it was bearable. I decided to lay low this week because I think I've been on my feet too much lately. I'm also a side sleeper and, fortunately, that's not a problem for me. I just put a pillow between my knees and can rest comfortably.

Best wishes for a successful RTKR! I'll be two weeks behind you :)

Kim
So I’m 8 weeks today and just got home from PT. Slowly making progress and I am 4 weeks out from my RTKR on April 25. I am able to sleep in bed on my left side and back so it’s better than being in the recliner. While it’s not an issue with me the scar is definitely sensitive to the touch. My PT did a pretty deep massage today, trying to break up some of the scar tissue just above my knee. I’ve dealt with a lower back problem all my life and for the most part can keep it under control, but the last week or so it’s reared its ugly head, compromising some of my recovery. Slowly getting back to normal and am able to ride the stationary bike at the gym now. Hope your recovery continues without a hitch.

Happy Two Month Anniversary, KAPHealey!
I hope you enjoyed the month of March. It's nice to read you're pleased with your progress.
I bet it will be a relief to have next months surgery behind you. Lots of comfort to you as you wait out the next five weeks. :)
@KAPHealey

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. Only a few days to go until the next surgery.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@KAPHealey

Best Wishes for your Right TKR surgery tomorrow.
I hope you have an uneventful surgery and take your time to rest in recovery. :)
You'll soon be back to all you are missing…without the pain! :happydance:

@KAPHealey

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads