Handicap Placard

TerryS

Country
United States United States
I have Left TKR coming up in March. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a temporary handicap placard for your car? And what the process is.

Some can. My surgeon ‘s office told me I couldn’t have one. I sure could have used it, but I guess the walks did me good. :shrug:

My OS signed off for me to get one. I suggest you ask for one. You will need it.

What is the date of your upcoming surgery? We'll add it to your signature.

I have Left TKR coming up in March. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a temporary handicap placard for your car? And what the process is.

Yes. Well... i was able to get one in california. Get the paperwork from DMV and take it to your surgeons office to sign off on then return it to DMV. Typically they wont grant you one until your surgery date but dmv may mark it to begin a few days earlier. Its good for 5 or 6 months. I really needed it prior to surgery and now that ive had my hip replacement i haven’t had to use it but once or twice.

@TerryS
I have moved your thread and its question to the knee replacement Pre-Op Area, as you have not yet had your surgery.

People who have had their knees replaced will still post on your thread.

Have your surgeon or other MD sign your application and send it in ahead of your surgery, if you can. It can take a few weeks to get the placard and those are the weeks you can most use it.

@TerryS
Have you joined the March Musketeers monthly group yet?
Just post your surgery date in the
2018 March Musketeers - Are you having knee surgery in March?
thread at the top of the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area page and you'll be added to the list.
It's a good idea to get to know your fellow BoneSmarties who will be getting new joints the same month. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery and do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

I got the form from the dmv (I think online) and my OS signed it to be good for several months. I only used it in the first 3 months--but it was good to have in a couple of instances when I would have had to park really far away even after I was done with the cane.

look online for your states Motor Vehicle Department or what ever it's called. The instructions will be on there

It's called the Division of Motor Vehicles. Just google it and once you're on their site it will ask you for what state. You might be able to walk in and pick it up after your doctor signs for it.

I asked my dr.'s nurse about a parking placard to use for the first three months. She printed out the form and told me to take it to the tag office. I turned it in and they handed me the temporary placard. Very easy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562