TKR Hamstring pain on non operated leg

Naomi60

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone. It's been about a year and a half since my RTKR. I will probably need a replacement of my left knee at some point but with exercise and weight training I have been able to manage.

However I have hamstring pain in my left (non operated) leg which recently became excruciating during a vacation where I was doing much more walking than usual. Has anyone else experienced very tight hamstrings in the non operated leg?

I've tried stretching but stopped because I thought maybe I had torn or strained it as it was not helping. I can walk about 2 miles with little to no problem but after that the pain kicks in and I can only continue if I take frequent breaks.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. And by the way, we were doing about 5 miles a day and my operated knee was fantastic. No pain or swelling, it was amazing and made the whole thing worth it! Thanks, Naomi

I think you might have overdone things during your holiday. Some extra rest and maybe some icing may help ease the pain, but if it doesn't start to settle down, I think it would be a good idea to see your doctor.

Celle's right. Your non-operative leg would have had a hard time of it while your operative knee was recovery so it was kind of set up to be a little sensitive! It's quite probable that it is strained because that's why it hurts but I doubt it's torn because if it was, you'd be unable to walk on it at all.

What kind of stretches were you doing, because they would be key. I would suggest this one because it's most focussed on the hamstrings. But you need to do it properly which is to get that leg well back and feel a tight pull on the hams and hold it for about 30 seconds. You should know if you're done it properly as you should feel relief almost immediately but it might be short lived. So do it every few minutes but not more than 3-4 times and then rest it. Hope it helps.

calf muscle stretch 2.JPG

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks