• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Halloween 2019 RTHR

Mettlehips

Country
United States United States
On the other side at last! Now I have a full set of hardware in both hips! This RTHR seems to be doing way better than the LTHR. I am pretty happy with it actually. Its only been 1.5 days PO but feeling pretty good now. I almost got to do outpatient THR (I was inquiring about it) and the Doc said I was doing great and signed my release papers to leave that day. My wife, nurses, and myself decided to stay overnight because I was a vomit machine, AGAIN! All nausea seems to be really subsiding but I carry a EME bag with me just as a precaution. My wife made me rice with chicken broth and some Navajo tea. It really helped. Also, pain levels are manageable with just 1 tramadol and 1 600mg Ibuprofen. I have hydrocodone but will only take it if I really can't stand the pain, tomorrow maybe. I'll endure pain more than I'll endure the effects of hydrocodone. Still trying to stay in front of the pain, so far so good! I believe the Doc had an easier time with this one as I am in way less pain than the first.

Oh yea, can anyone tell me when I can start doing upper body exercising because I want to get back into it - I "trained" for this RTHR. I bought an exercise tower 1 month ago and I believe it has paid good dividends with my surgery. The tower allows me to do dips, pull ups, push ups, vertical knee raises, and sit ups. I'm not going to even think about the vert knee raises and sit ups for awhile but I want to do the dips, push ups, and pull ups. I also purchased exercise bands in various strengths with are good for a variety of upper body resistance exercises. I'm not in a rush to do the upper exercises because I don't want to mess anything up - I will wait until I get my follow up exam in 2 weeks to inquire about it but still want to hear the advice here on BONESMART. Thank you! I wish I bought my exercise tower 6 months ago.

So no upper body exercises until I hear some advice here or at my Docs office. I forgot to ask while I was in recovery.

Pumpkln

Country
@Mettlehip
Welcome to the Otherside! :welome:
You may want to hold off on UE on equipment, until you see your OS in two weeks and he clears you to use your ex machine.
Give your hip a chance to heal, a few weeks won't make much difference to your arms. Assuming you are using your arms for all your normal activities.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Mettlehip :welome: and hello!!

You sound like you are raring to go, but also very smart because you thought to ask about exercising in any form, before your 2 weeks follow up. Good for you!
You will find that just using your cane/walker is going to work your arms considerably, which you most likely remember from your other THR..
Gosh, sorry to hear you were a vomit machine.. I'm sorry and no disrespect but I did chuckle when I read that.
Your wife took good care of you and hopefully that's in the past.
I agree with Pumpkin that your arms won't suffer from neglect in the next couple/few weeks.

It will give you something to look forward to.
Again, so glad you are off to a good start, we will enjoy following your journey.

Oh and I am a double hippie, too!
Have a good weekend!!:wave:

Debru4

graduate
Country
The worse part of recovery for some of us are those first few days when we need pain relief, but aren't able to tolerate the pain meds. It sure would be nice to have better options than the opiods that seem to produce a lot of nasty side effects for so many of us. If you find you are needing more pain relief than ice and acetaminophen, do check with your doctor and see if they can prescribe an anti nausea medication (or a stronger one if you already have one) or a different pain medication. Tramadol seems to work for a lot of folks who don't handle the regular opiods. Just be sure you don't ignore the pain and try to push through it.....that never ends well. It sounds like you have a great attitude and off to a good start:)

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Hi @Mettlehip
I remember you from your first THR as I had my BTHR the same month as you.
Well vaguely remember...I think I was busy stressing over my recovery:giggle:
I'm glad you have now achieved double hippy status and are feeling good.
I think you are wise to wait a bit as the finite amount of energy produced by these amazing bodies of ours needs to be directed to healing first and foremost.
Hope you have a great Saturday.

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
Hi @Mettlehip ! Sorry you are having such an issue with vomiting. Do you know what has caused this?
Other than that it seems like you feel your physical preparation before surgery has helped you with this second surgery. That must make you feel better about this recovery journey.
I know it’s early on and you have much healing to do. You are smart to let your body rest so it can heal and the immune system can do its job.

OP
OP
M

Mettlehips

Country
Hi!
Sorry you are having such an issue with vomiting. Do you know what has caused this?
Good Morning - The anesthesia does not agree with my stomach or body and the normal trauma from the surgery. Everything just seems to be a shock to my system.

Other than that it seems like you feel your physical preparation before surgery has helped you with this second surgery. That must make you feel better about this recovery journey.
Very much so. I recommend some sort of physical preparation, always within your limits, to help deal with the effects of major surgery. Being physically stronger on the other side can only help with the realities of post op. Its easier for me to carry my body weight around when getting up from bed or the couch. I'm thinking to myself every time I get in or out of my soft, low bed "I'm glad I'm strong enough to get up from it"
Also, my surgeon did NOT have any complications this time as opposed to last hip. THAT certainly helps more than what I could do through my prep. Last time my doc had to reseat my cup after he already installed it due to movement angles of the femur, causing slightly more blood loss than expected. I felt pretty roughed up.
The way I feel after my post op is the way I want every one of you to feel after yours. Smooth sailing!

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
Hi @Mettlehip
Okay, at least you know it’s the anesthesia. I usually thrash coming out of anesthesia, but this last anesthesiologist, ( for a smaller surgery) asked me how I usually respond to anesthesia. When I told him, I have no idea what he did, but I did not wake up thrashing. I woke up just as if I was waking up from a nap. I hope if you ever need surgery again somehow they can figure out how to prevent the vomiting.
It’s very encouraging to hear you talk about the difference pre-THR physical preparation makes, because you have been through this twice. You know the difference and what you needed to do.
Gee whiz that first surgery was difficult indeed. So sorry to hear this, but glad you healed up well.
Thank you for the smooth sailing wishes.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hope this Sunday finds all settling down and hopefully you are getting into your recovery groove!
As you know, All Temporary and well worth the trepidations and aggravations.
Healing vibes coming your way.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
HI @Mettlehip - I do hope that you are over the vomiting. If not, please ask your doctor for medication to prevent it. There's really no need to carry on feeling miserable and nauseated. There are medications to control it.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and a Happy Sunday to you! :wave:
Thankfully it seems as though all is settling for you after a bumpy start.
Hopefully you're resting comfortably and can enjoy some Sunday tv, ice and elevation. At only three days post op the journey is just beginning. May it be smooth sailing for you.
Have a good one!
@Mettlehip

OP
OP
M

Mettlehips

Country
Thank you all. Everything is surprisingly good. Thank you for the well wishes! Nausea is gone, appetite is back, pain is minimal, getting around isn't bad, and just the general disruption to my life SEEMS pretty minimal compared to last time. I thought I was going to be sitting home in misery, out of work, and hating life! I get a slight headache when I try to have a BM (haven't had one post op) but it gets less and less achy by the day. If I don't do anything stupid I believe I will have a WAY faster healing than last time. Weird but we will see. :spin::fingersx::doggie:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Try a fruit smoothie for constipation and see if it helps. Another thing that's been mentioned here is Pumpkin Puree'. With Pumpkin Puree being the only ingredient in the can. It can be sprinkled with Cinnamon, if it even appeals to you. Make sure you're staying adequately hydrated also.
Here's an article on Constipation from the BoneSmart Library -
Hope you have a peaceful evening. Sleep well! :yawn: :sleep:
@Mettlehip

OP
OP
M

Mettlehips

Country
16 day follow up is just going to be short and sweet.

I put on my own tight-ish fitting socks today by myself. I had to use a stick and my toes on my other foot to get the sock started but once started I could finish pulling it up with my hands! I actually put my own socks on 2 days ago but today there was way less pain associated with the endeavor. To me, this is a HUGE accomplishment so early, compared to last hip. LOL this seems so funny but its a big milestone.

Important note: the post op blues level is currently very low - last hip I was in full misery mode, this time not so much.

PA said I could start working out my upper body again when I went for my 12 day checkup. I did some push ups and that's it. I will ease back into it very slowly - no ODIC!!!!

I wish TjointR was like this for everyone. As medicine advances I'm sure this will become more of the norm.

One more thing, is there any way to change my forum name to "Mettlehips"? Ya know its plural now LOL.

Take care all!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Mettlehips. So happy to see this update and see you doing so well:dancy:
Will pass on your request for name change.
I did some push ups and that's it.
Ummm:umm:how exactly do you do you manage that ...involving your leg?

OP
OP
M

Mettlehips

Country
I was wondering how I was going to do that too...I thought to only try to get down in push up position - and I could, without pain. After that its just a matter of keeping weight on my other leg when actually doing the push ups. Oh yea I have a workout tower that has push up "bars" that are about a foot off the ground, so I am not going to the ground fully. I can bend down (golfers stretch), reach them, and gently move my legs back. I'm pretty good at avoiding all pain (signalling I'm doing something wrong) when I do this. I'll chill on it for a while if you think I should @Mojo333 .

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I would feel better...:giggle:
Do you have some hand weights or resistance bands you can work your upper body with...that's what I did.
You are going to catch up with whatever might feel is weak soon enough.
I had to move 300 lbs barrels off a trailer for work last week.
I used my upper body to rotate them off because I really like my new hips.

Attachments

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Mettlehips :wave:
I sure hate the thought of you hurting yourself now.
Please be careful. It's still early days at only a little over two weeks post op. You don't want to risk anything and stall or jeopardize your recovery.
I hope you have a nice weekend!

OP
OP
M

Mettlehips

Country
@Mojo333 - OK resistance bands it is, they are a great place to ramp back up.

Those pics are Bonesmart forum GOLD! They actually show others going through THR for the first time the REAL light at the end of the tunnel, that they too can be back to their normal selves after the surgery. Probably better! You are showing good form - not over doing it, but we both know you are capable of much more! I should start calling you Super Hippy!
Thank you for showing us all a glimpse into your life. It really spices up the forums, maybe I'll post some comeback pics too! Feel free to post more...

@Layla - Have a great weekend too! No ODIC here as I really don't mind taking a break from normal life to heal up! After seeing those pics of @Mojo333 it gives me a lot of confidence that everything will turn out great, we just have to give our hips time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Doxiemome
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom