Hair Loss after TLKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nana55

Okay folks,
There is a tremendous amount of knowledge on here so I need advice please.
I had been experiencing some problems with thinning hair prior to surgery but since my surgery in December, my beautician is alarmed by the amount of thinning and hair loss. I am sure that some of the problem is related to low protein from blood loss and medications but anyone with a similar problem and what did you do?

The beautician said I could try a special shampoo but maybe I need to add more vitamins???

I can really see my scalp on top and females in my family aren't bald.

Oh my gosh!! Me too! I had my rtkr in November and I am going through the exact same things. Did a bunch of blood work with my primary doctor and all is well but my hemaglobin is still a bit low. I lost a bunch of blood during surgery. Did not have a tranfusion because I have hemachromatosis, so they opted for me just to raise it by diet and iron supplaments. I would LOVE to hear if any one else is having this issue and what they have tried. I have done all the special shampoo's, multivitamins and even am trying Rogaine. I am stressed about this to. I know some one must have some answers here.

Boy, I wish I had a medical opinion on what you are experiencing. I know it must have you worried. My non-medical opinion would say to give it a little time. You have been through major surgery that put a huge strain on your whole body. This just may be the way your body is reacting to the stress before and after surgery. Once things level out in recovery, I hope this resolves itself too.

I Googled hair loss after surgery and saw a couple of articles that might support what I'm saying. They also indicated that things can resolve themselves, but it could take a while....even up to a year to totally resolve itself. I always try to take these articles on the internet with a HUGE grain of salt, but at least it supports the idea that you need to give yourself and your body some time to get back into its normal rhythms.

Stress can cause hair loss, some medications and some conditions like underactive thyroid. My sister (Janis) has just discovered that the metformin she takes for her diabetes has caused her significant hair loss which reversed somewhat when she reduced her dose. It's one of those conditions that nobody has a good answer to but ideas and theories abound.

As I have posted before, I have been drinking Mona Vie. It promotes hair growth and strong healthy fingernails. A person's fingernails are a strong indicator of overall health.
Take the time to visit the Mona Vie website and try a bottle. It will last for one week (7 days) for one person drinking 2 ounces in the AM and 2 ounces in the PM. A case lasts for a month for one person. It is rich in antioxidants. There are 3 types of juice: Original, Active, and Pulse. The Original is for anyone to drink. The Active contains Glucosomine and it good for the joints. The Pulse is a completely different blend and has been approved by the FDA as cholesterol lowering. I drink the Active. My husband drinks the Active in the AM and the Pulse in the PM.
It truly helped me heal once I started drinking it. I have had to get my hair cut more frequently since I started drinking it.
It may be just what you need! If you have any questions, just ask......
Best,
Crystal

Hi Nana!
I think, as Jamie said, you have been through major surgery and it will take a while--maybe a long while--for your body to get back to normal. I experienced hair loss after a previous surgery--it makes sense because we are all loosing hair all the time. When all your body's energy is being used to heal itself, it's not going to waist energy growing replacements for the hair that has fallen out. I remember after having babies that my hair would be thinner for several months. Eventually, it would get back to normal. Hope this is true in this case as well.
Blessings,
Irene

I have had no problem with my hair but my toe nails on both big toes look funky. This has occurred after my BLTKR. Weired!

My beautician said surgery and stress...so I am quadrapled on hair loss..3 tkr's in 2 years, Mom passing, and my awful sister...who will no doubt sue the estate..I think I'll buy a wig now...lol

Low iron stores can causes this. Most of the time when doctors do blood work they do a Complete Blood Count which does not cover iron stores. They need to order a Total Iron Binding Capacity (TIBC) and Transferrin and Iron levels. My CBC numbers are usually at the low end of the range but the above are low. I notice more hair loss everytime the iron levels go down and it clears up when the doctor starts the iron supplements again.

There are research articles showing the connection between iron stores and hair loss.

Simon

Simon

Boy! That sucks about the hair loss! I hope you all are experiencing it regrow it in due time! As far as Rogaine is concerned, please read the instructions properly. I've heard once you start using it, you must continue doing so!

I didn't have hair loss but my hair totally changed after the surgery. Can you believe my once straight hair is sort of curly now. It looked totally fried after surgery and I had colored it for years so decided to let it go natural and am really happy I did. Not only is the texture better but I look good with grey hair, or at least I think I do. Rowdy

LOL! I've often considered doing that!

It was a good move for me. I could see myself starting down that road toward the pitiful comb-over. You know those guys...who can somehow fool themselves into thinking if they just hold their head exactly right in the wind and rain and lead with the long part that grows just above their ear..they can fool everyone else as well.

Nah,not for me. I put a ring in my ear, shaved my head, grew a goatee, and have never regretted it a single day. I don't care if it's windy. Or raining. I don't worry about barbers, or shampoo, or whether the hotel has a hair dryer. All I need is some soap and my Headblade and I am set.

I like your look, Gringo. It fits your personality. Just don't forget the sunblock!!!

Jo - Interesting about the Metformin. My daughter had exactly the same problem. When she reduced the dose because it also made her ill, her hair gradually grew back. It leads me to wonder whether that is why my mother went almost bald using Metformin. Fortunately (!!!!) I can't tolerate it so I still have hair.

Thanks Jo, I take metformin so I will look into that. I had major lab work ordered on Thursday to check my vitamin B and D levels, Fe, everything the doc could think of so they drew 7 tubes of blood which probably dropped my already low HGB. lol He of course reminded my of stress as a reason so now I know of three reasons, medication, stress and low iron.

Gringo, you sound like a hoot. I am glad you decided to refrain from the Donald Trump hair due. My hair is thinner on top so I hope I don't have to come up with a cover over hair style.

"The Donald's". Hair is more like a NEST!!!! :)

You are such a sweet heart you post to everyone with specials words... Thanks for that. In case I missed how did you blood work go , did you get it done? I hope all is well, Just checking in......Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks