THR Had surgery

spmoveit

Country
United States United States
I had my left hip surgery yesterday morning, It went well and they kept me extremely comfortable. After 2 hours in my room the physical therapist got me to stand up and take a few steps. Pain is kept minimal with the meds they are giving me. I will be going home today.

@spmoveit Welcome to the other side! Sounds like you are off to a very good start! Keep that pain managed and find a comfy place at home to rest, ice and elevate.

I'll leave your recovery guidelines here for you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Sounds good. Welcome!

Yay!

Get home, get it elevated, get it iced, and get walking

Light stretching and supine leg movements, only. PT is not helpful.

Wow! Home! Bet that you're loving icing, elevating and most importantly, resting. It's amazing how one's body recovers and adapts. That said, integrating all the soft tissue changes is the big deal and a big deal. Best of luck in these early days and happy turkey time to you!

Hello :wave:
How is your recovery going? We’d love to hear about your progress if you care to share.
Hopefully all is going well and you’re feeling stronger with each passing week.
Wishing you a happy healthy holiday season. Enjoy the weekend!
@spmoveit

I’m doing well thank you, one night hospital stay and since my surgery was at 6am the pt had me walking a few steps by 3pm. The pain meds really kept my pain level at a 2 or 3 so I was able to get myself to the restroom while at the hospital with assistance of course. The first few days were tough, but stayed on top of the pain with meds. I was extremely sore and had a lot of swelling that didn’t subside until last Sunday which was a week in even though I iced 3 times a day and elevated constantly. My PT says I’ve done so well that I have already graduated to a cane and at my followup this Thursday the dr said I could start driving but I don’t feel comfortable doing that yet. Best of luck with your journey and Happy Holidays!

Hello and Happy Sunday @spmoveit
Thanks for the update. It‘s nice to read of you’re progress. Here’s to a stronger steadier you, month by month.
I hope you have a great week. Stay in touch. :)

Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary! :wave:
Wondering how it’s going for you since you last posted about six weeks ago?
Hopefully all is well, you’re regaining strength, stamina and enjoying steady progress.
We‘d love to hear from you when you have the time for an update. Until then...all the best. Wishing you health, happiness and peace in the New Year. :)
@spmoveit

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas