Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Had Pre-Op Appointment

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
United States United States
@JannieC hi! Somewhere up there you mentioned no restriction against leaning over, bending at hip sort of movement. I have two anteriors, and my experience was that swelling at the incision made it pretty uncomfortable to bend. I was very happy for my commode chair with its arms, so I didn't have to lean forward to counterbalance as I got up (any chair with arms is easier to get out of!) also, my hip flexors were considerably traumatized by having been stretched out of the way, and they preferred not to do any work thankyouverymuch, for as long as the swelling lasted (memory foggy on that number).
And fascinating-- you may not put your leg behind you with toes turned out-- I am the opposite! As a lifetime precaution, I shouldn't put a leg behind me in a wide lunge, turned IN! So when I follow along with the stretches in my barre classes, and we get to splits (I wish!), I do what I can while making darn sure that back leg is turned out. It is not painful in the joint. But man, am I inflexible!

OP
OP
J

JannieC

Country
Z--From what I've read, posterior hip surgery restrictions usually include not bending forward- this involves the 90 degree rule-and not turning your foot inward. That's strange that having had anterior surgery you were told you can't turn your foot inward. ??? I guess I'm really focused on the "bending forward" ability because it seems that that will make life much easier in my recovery. For a long time now, when I bend down I bend my good hip not my bad hip. I understand what you say about swelling and hip flexors but I'm maybe naively thinking I'm still good on the left side. You didn't have both hips done at the same time did you? I can understand how that would make everything difficult. During my pre-op appointment the surgery coordinator person said I wouldn't have any need of a commode assist. I guess I just decided to agree with her!

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@JannieC my hips were 4 years apart, so for each recovery I had a good one to count on.

the part about not turning the leg inwards is only if it's 2-plus feet behind me, with all my weight on it, and in a deep lunge. That's where I risk dislocation. My proto-split is as close as I come to that position, as I don't plan on having a skiing or surfing accident :heehee: I think with posterior, the dislocation risk comes from the opposite direction. One of my first hip cohort was told by her extremely conservative surgeon that she must never ever fix a buckled sandal strap by going to the outside of her leg. None of us could make sense of that!

As to my commode seat-- first hip was in a house with a nice old higher toilet, tucked between the vanity and the window, so I could strong-arm my way up. Sure, the good hip bent, but that didn't help me. Second hip, different house, cheap low toilet hanging out in the middle of the room. The commode seat was invaluable. I would not be surprised if THRs have come a long way just in the three years since mine, and you really won't have a problem. Every body reacts differently. I am a sweller!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I have two anteriors, and my experience was that swelling at the incision made it pretty uncomfortable to bend. I was very happy for my commode chair with its arms, so I didn't have to lean forward to counterbalance as I got up (any chair with arms is easier to get out of!) also, my hip flexors were considerably traumatized by having been stretched out of the way, and they preferred not to do any work thankyouverymuch
This was my experience also...and the more that soft tissue can be babied especially the first weeks, the quicker they will heal.
I was given no restrictions, but I was restricted nonetheless...only temporarily.:yes:
There were lots of things I could do but found out in the early days, just because you can. .doesn't mean you should.
I used my grabber lots at first and toilet riser for 4 weeks...
We are all different but those first weeks those things helped tremendously.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and a Happy Friday @JannieC
Only three more days! Hopefully you’re ready and looking forward to Monday and the great result this surgery will bring. You're going to love it!
Wishing you comfort as you wait.

OP
OP
J

JannieC

Country
Layla, thanks for thinking about me. I don't know whether this is good or bad but I have so much going on at home right now I'm really not dwelling much on the upcoming surgery on Monday! I got my phone call from the hospital and need to be there by 11 a.m. I had asked to be the last of the three surgeries that my surgeon does in the morning, so I'm happy that worked out. I requested that I be kept overnight at the hospital Monday night with hopefully a Tuesday dismissal. I am a planner at heart, so I think I have everything set up for a successful recovery at home. I currently have my farm on the market and have had more showings in the last week then I have had during a normal month! Haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do with myself if I have a showing the first couple of weeks I'm home... hopefully just "walker" myself out of sight somewhere. My timing of the surgery is unfortunate, but I just couldn't put it off any longer. I've been existing on cortisone shots for the last year, but I was told I couldn't have any more,so surgery it is!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:You are going to be very happy to get back on the road to healthy and happy.
We are right here with you.
:friends:

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sending best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery with great pain control. When able please join us on the recovery side and share your story. I hope your farm sale happens soon since you have found it is time to sell. We have 70 acres but my neighbor leases the land and uses it which is the best of both worlds for me as I have the space but do not have to maintain it.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good luck on Monday @JannieC ! Good for you for getting the time slot that yu wanted, see? Already off to a great start.
See you on the recoovery side!

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@JannieC you are definitely a planner, and your life sounds like mine-- always the wrong timing, right?

What if you asked friends to bring fresh flowers and fresh bread? I hear those help a sale:heehee:

you will be so fine that a showing won't faze you. Unless of course your realtor calls while you are getting your first really great sleep....

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom